Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Here I thought down UQs packed smaller...I've just never bothered looking seriously at them because of the price. I had just used pads and sleeping bags for a long time, then discovered serious hammock camping, but haven't had the budget to go all in on gear I didn't see as absolutely essential. If the MMGUQ wasn't meeting my needs, I'm in a place now where I'd look into it. But haven't had the need thus far, so on I go merrily down the trail with my synthetics!

BTW, I did DIY a UQ for the purpose of going below freezing. I got the kit from RSBTR with 5 oz Climashield. It gets me well below freezing, but it's twice the size of my Shamu, so I don't carry it unless I absolutely have to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It kinda blows my mind, because synthetic quilts are known as heavier and less packable than their down counterparts - but you and Molly Mac are saying that this is absolutely fine as a full length 40 degree underquilt which weighs 12-16 oz and packs down below 2L size.

If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would bother buying a down UQ. 40 deg down UQs aren't that small and light.
    They are indeed known for that. But I have consistently disagreed with that concept- or at least the weight part- for a decade. And I use and like both. Once you account for baffle weight with down, there just isn’t much difference. IMO. Especially at 20f and above. And then when you throw in the superior water resistance and speed/ease of drying of CS etc., the down advantage decreases even more. IOW, I feel a greater need for an UQP with down. Many disagree that there’s any advantage when wet, but my experience indicates there def is.

HOWEVER! It might be that all or most of that wet insurance disappears with the new fangled treated down. I just don’t know. I have some but have never put it to the test. I suspect it resists water far better than before.

Also, in the past my down has maintained its loft way better than my synthetics. But, my CS Yeti is 8 or 10 years old now, and the loft seems roughly unchanged. But, it has not been stuffed and severely compressed much more than a few times. Down is renowned for it’s longevity.
    Finally, it does still pack down a bit smaller, but maybe not a huge amount. And if you have room for it, that becomes irrelevant.

So, IMO, CS is a fine alternative to down, with the disadvantages roughly outweighed by the advantages, depending on one’s needs and preferences. This thread provides some evidence of that premise. For a little more, just do a search for AHE Jarbidge CS UQ, and look for complaints vs people who are warm on the very 1st try. I bet the complaints or “can’t get warm” threads are close to nonexistent. It weighs a whopping 20 oz.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Thanks for the insight. After submitting my questions to them through their website, I never heard back from the Molly Mac guys (it's been a week). Regardless, I ordered a Shamu full length based on the feedback in this thread. It would be great if it does go down to freezing as claimed but honestly if it only does 40 degrees at full length for below a pound and under 2L packability I'll be real happy for $150 shipped.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    I get it - that's exactly how I felt about it when I ordered one! MacEntyre has generally been pretty responsive in my experience, but he hasn't posted here recently either, so must be busy. I'm sure he'll get it to you in fairly short order. BTW, as far as I know, it is just him - he makes it all, ships it all, etc.

Update us after you've had a chance to use it!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I'll try to remember that!

He already emailed me to say that the order will be shipped next week. I then asked, and he answered my questions - yes, it's under 16oz finished, it packs below 2L. About the temp rating - it'll go to freezing if you're a warm sleeper, and don't sleep naked. And it's inadequate if the night starts at 32 and stays there. Some consider it a 40 degree blanket. Fine by me... still sounds like great specs for a 40deg blanket.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Humneso View Post
    ...it doesn’t look like he’s focused on marketing very hard either.
    That's true. Also, that will soon change. We're moving, hiring and planning a marketing strategy. Might even start usin' labels!

It’s great to be able to find guys doing quality work and thinking through the way gear does and should work!
    You are kind to say so... I try hard to design and make good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    I will soon do a video featuring the mmg bivy hammock.
    I can't wait to see it! Klipspringer (formerly known as Thing1) and I love ours. I have never had the chance to use one on the ground, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    In time I will have another made with a different ul material as the original robic 1.0 has been red flagged for failure. The hammock is so unique & Light.
    I am thankful that you pointed that out. Fortunately, there are other excellent choices of material for hammocks.

The MollyMac website is a little short on pictures and some details, but ...
    I apologize, and, as I said, that will change. It won't happen real soon, but the complete overhaul of the product line will happen before the end of summer.

Is there anything that you wish were more like a down quilt?
    I say, Viva la Difference! Seriously, I want down for situations below 20*F, and synthetic above 20*F. That is simply because water will melt here and there when temps get above 20*F. Synthetic can take a wet hit and keep going, and it is easier to dry. But ya'll know all that...

Thanks for the insight. After submitting my questions to them through their website, I never heard back from the Molly Mac guys (it's been a week).
    I am so glad you ordered in spite of not hearing from me. It's my fault, because I do not look at Gmail often, and that is how the web site contacts me. I'll do better, starting now!

...he hasn't posted here recently either, so must be busy.
    Yep, I've been busy. I'm helping create a Permaculture Farm with a Commercial Aquaponics Facility. It's Farming for Chemical Engineers, and I'm lovin' it!

...as far as I know, it is just him - he makes it all, ships it all, etc.
    Right now that is true, jus' me. Soon I hope to hire some folks who can help out. We have big plans that go beyond Hammocks!

Thanks again, Folks, for the kind words and thoughtful review.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the new site update, and my new quilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    That's true. Also, that will soon change. We're moving, hiring and planning a marketing strategy. Might even start usin' labels!
    Excellently! Glad to hear good things are happening.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the new site update, and my new quilt.
    Won't be long!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12