WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles

SC>Foothills Trail>Oconee to Sloan Bridge Section Hike

Earlier this week I made the drive to the upstate of South Carolina to do a section of the Foothills Trail, starting at Oconee State Park and finishing at Sloan Bridge Picnic Area - about 24 miles.
    IMG_20180312_142559765_HDR.jpgIMG_20180312_141730268_HDR.jpgIMG_20180312_143439002.jpg
    I departed the trailhead at Oconee around 3:00pm on Monday and set-off on my hike. My target for this first short-day was the "hidden" campsite near Tamassee Creek - about 3.5 miles into the trail. I arrived there around 5:00pm to find the site empty...I set up my Dream Hammock Raven and Warbonnet Superfly Tarp along the creek. Insulation for this trip would be my Hammock Gear Phoenix and Burrow 30-degree Econ set, along with a Sea-to-Summit liner for a little extra warmth, as the temps would be pushing the quilts to the limit on this trip. My dinner was a couscous mix with cocoa and Coffee Crisp for dessert. Hit the hammock around 8:00pm and slept warm.
    IMG_20180312_155056564.jpgIMG_20180312_155101727.jpgIMG_20180312_160952296_HDR.jpgIMG_20180312_174706375.jpg
    I awoke around 6:00am the next morning and had my oats, banana & blueberry mix along with a Via coffee and a pop-tart...hit the trail by 9:00 to make the trek from there to Burrells Ford, about 13 miles. This would be the big day! Crossed along Jumping Branch, Cheohee, and Nicholson Ford with some nice views of the surrounding areas since the trees were still without leaves. My favorite sights were running water spots...just don't see that kind of stuff in the Lowcountry everyday - so I was stopping to take pics of streams and tricking water...took lunch along the Chattooga River on a rock outcropping: Tuna packet with Triscuits and some trail mix. By the end of this trip - I had that thousand-yard stare as I was humping to get to Burrells Ford before dark - and I got there around 5:45pm...when I synced my FitBit after the trip it said I did the equivalent of 277 floors on this day alone, with almost 50,000 steps...golly!! My meal for dinner was brown rice, a half-packet of brown gravy mix, some turkey jerky thrown in the pot along with dehydrated broccoli - this was my favorite meal of the trip and I will be making it again!
    IMG_20180313_092540800_HDR.jpgIMG_20180313_104901213_HDR.jpgIMG_20180313_130601456.jpgIMG_20180313_183258804_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20180313_183305483_HDR.jpg
    I didn't sleep as well this night as the night before - around midnight came a gusty period of winds that really rocked the trees I was hanging on. A nearby bear hanger had a couple pieces of aluminum that would make a horrible screeching sound whenever the wind would gust. I did the smart thing and slept with my water filter in my quilt with me, as my water bottles iced-up after the night with temps in the mid-to-low 20's...the HG set and liner kept me nice and warm.
    IMG_20180314_122144791.jpgIMG_20180314_135546349_HDR.jpg
    I got a later start on the final day - Wednesday the 14th - which happened to also be my 42nd birthday - more Oats, pop-tart, and Via for my birthday breakfast. I got out on the trail around 10:00am to head towards Sloan Bridge - about 7 miles. The climb up Medlin Mountain was tough yet rewarded me with some nice views and a cell-phone signal I was able to call my wife and parents to check-in and get birthday wishes...wifey was picking me up at Sloan later that afternoon - I told her to take her time, as I was running a little behind. I ambled-on toward Fish Hatchery Access, stopping shortly thereafter along a sunny spot on the trail for my final meal of Tuna and Loucks Snaps with some Justin's Almond Butter. I continued on and finished the trip around 3:00pm - arriving at Sloan Bridge Picnic Area, with my wife arriving shortly thereafter to pick me up and take me back to Oconee...
    IMG_20180314_142155689.jpg
    This was my first time on the Foothills Trail. I only had limited time to play, so I chose to do a section...I will make a few more return trips to finish the entire trail! I think I'm going to do another piece in April, then do the final leg for my birthday next year! This was the first time I made a multiple-night trip out on a trail with my hammock...Dream Hammock Raven and Dutchware gear, along with Superfly tarp, all performed admirably. I learned a lot about the gear I carried - what worked and what didn't. Stuff I didn't use. Food items that I will ditch and try other options for next time. My thanks to the Shug & Hickery for your Foothills Trail videos which were an inspiration and motivation to hit this trail...

Last year around this time I was only dreaming about this trip...I'm glad I finally made it a reality! Can't wait to get back up there and finish the rest!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I completed the FHT in February. I did a 32 mile section similar to yours in December starting at Bad Creek access and hiking back to Oconee State Park.

The remaining 45 miles from Bad Creek To Table Rock I did in February.

Not to rain on your parade but the section you did is exceedingly easier than the remaining part. I actually couldn't believe the difference.

The hike up Heartbreak Ridge from Taxoway Lake was one of the toughest sections of trail I have ever hiked with the exception of the Duncan Ridge Trail.

And the 4.5 mile hike up Sassafras mountain absolutely wiped me out.

But overall, I think the FHT is my favorite trail I have ever hiked on.

Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I completed the FHT in February. I did a 32 mile section similar to yours in December starting at Bad Creek access and hiking back to Oconee State Park.

The remaining 45 miles from Bad Creek To Table Rock I did in February.

Not to rain on your parade but the section you did is exceedingly easier than the remaining part. I actually couldn't believe the difference.

The hike up Heartbreak Ridge from Taxoway Lake was one of the toughest sections of trail I have ever hiked with the exception of the Duncan Ridge Trail.

And the 4.5 mile hike up Sassafras mountain absolutely wiped me out.

But overall, I think the FHT is my favorite trail I have ever hiked on.

Thanks for the report.
    No worries...I appreciate the heads-up. I've got to do some training before the next go-rounds to get ready - I'm a Lowcountry guy who's lived on flat-land for most my life

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for the report.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report. I did the Foothills Trail in 3 separate trips after running into 100-degree-plus Heat Index the first time out (and had to bail out at the foot of Sassafras Mtn.), which heat and humidity kicked my butt as much as the trail itself did. The 2nd trip I picked back up and finished out to Table Rock State Park. The 3rd trip I did the Spur to Jones Gap State Park.

If I could only do one trail, I think the Foothills Trail would be it!

Of course, I might be a tad biased, as I was born and raised right down the road and graduated from Clemson and plan to retire down there.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts