Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Sleep without layers to be warmer?

I don't know why I am posting this, since people have their experiences and that trumps all, reasoning be danged. But I'm hoping the advocates of less is more can give some reasons other than "layers of warm dry clothing keep your body heat from warming up your down which then warms you back up". That may indeed be the reasoning but I have a hard time making sense of it. Now first, I am not all saying it does not work for you. As one who mostly takes the opposite approach, and has not yet tried "less is more", I am just seeking explanations from those who do, if available.

Now, I tend to be a layer up kind of guy, not just to keep warm within a quilts rating range, but to push certain systems way beyond their ratings. Like the time( 1 ex. of many) I used a Golight TQ rated at 20F(still use it many years later) that many people claimed was in no way a 20F quilt. Maybe 30 or 35, but not 20F. It is a long/wide version, and weighs about 20 oz. I have seen a lot of 20F TQs that weigh 2 to 4 more oz than that, I have one that is 7 oz more(but doubles as a coat/serape some added weight from that) so maybe 30 is more accurate for that Golight? But I have used it at 6F and was toasty. With layers and VBs. I really don't think I could have been as warm or warmer if I had instead removed those layers, but I could be wrong.

OTOH, I have slept recently in the 20s and 30s with just cotton PJs, and been at least warm enough, with quilts rated 20-30. But, I was not at 10F or 0F, and doubt that I could go there with out either layers, or vapor barriers, or both. So I have questions, seeking understanding.

Q1: When I read: "If you are cold, take some clothing off", I wonder: assuming either dry down or synthetic clothing is available(fleece, CS, PG, Primaloft etc), if your quilts are 20F but it is 10F and you are cold,would you guys remove that insulating clothing and expect to warm up? Have you done this? Or does that theory just apply if you are cold in 20F quilts at 30 or 40F?

Q2: If you are already almost naked inside your quilts, and are cold, what do you do now? I would either put on a warm jacket or layer it above me inside my TQ or Pea Pod(if I still had one)
    or below my hammock inside my Pea Pod, HHSS or maybe even a regular UQ. Or add VBs or space blankets. But what do the "sleep naked" folks do once they are far from home or car and are cold? There is nothing more to take off, and folks seem to think that adding a down jacket makes the quilt less able to feed your body heat back to you, so what do you do? Other than a hot water bottle?

Q3: This just concerns theory, though sometimes something just works for me even though I don't know why and don't need to. Still, if someone knows the theory, isn't the idea of insulation to keep body heat within the body, or at least next to the body? Preventing it from traveling away from the body and out into the surrounding air? Hence, a 4" quilt can prevent that that transfer better than a 2". It keeps the cold air further away from our skin with a layer of dead air, an excellent insulator. 4" thick is more dead air than 2". It prevents the cold outer air from replacing the warm air right next to our skin. If by wearing layers you prevented warmth from leaving your body and warming up your colder quilt, wouldn't that mean you are warmer, since you held onto that body heat instead of warming up your cold quilt with it?

If that is correct, couldn't a layer of clothes be such a good insulator that a quilt would not even be needed? It is hard for me to understand why a 2" layer of top quilt would not be made warmer by adding a 2" layer of clothing, with loft now being 4" total, as opposed to being made warmer by removing that 2" layer of clothing and going back to 2" total insulation. No one ever suggests to the person who is cold in a 3" quilt that they should go to a 2" quilt. But they probably will suggest(assuming no gaps or drafts etc) that person needs a 4" quilt. But with clothing, how is it that reducing the thickness of the clothing- maybe to zero- will warm you up like increasing the thickness of the quilt will?

I would love to hear folk's thoughts on how this works. But there might not be any good explanations, yet some folks know it works for them. And even though I have had good luck adding clothing to my quilts, the only way I will know if this oppsite works is by removing(rather than adding) clothing when I am cold and see how it goes.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think post #14 says it all from my perspective.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Q-left-me-cold

"I think the concept of wearing less clothing is that both sides of the quilt are at atmospheric temperature when you enter the hammock. If you’re somewhat well-insulated when you get in, it can take a very long time to reach temperature equilibrium. By removing the layers prior to getting in, you (literally you as a heat generator) help the quilt reach temperature equilibrium quickly, and warm insulation is close to you making you retain more heat.

TL;DR: heat transfer says your quilt is doing nothing if *you* don’t ever warm it up. Take those layers off. "

I've got my 40 lb. beagle Joey for insulation now - so I don't have to worry too much about staying warm!

IMG_0790.jpg
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-16-2018 at 00:51.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    There's a lot of magical thinking when it comes to down.

--
    Gadget

Love Gadget's comment about magical thinking, and I really appreciate the thought you put into posts like this, BillyBob58. I always enjoy reading your stuff. Here's a link or two on the subject. I find SectionHiker to be a good source of information on this and many other topics. My own opinion: the one time when extra clothing may make you feel colder will be if that clothing contains or encourages the trapping of moisture. I think the less is more idea comes about because one may be drier and thus feel warmer than with sweat filled clothing. Otherwise it defies physics to say that less clothing is warmer.

Cheers.

https://sectionhiker.com/is-it-warme...-sleeping-bag/

https://www.outsideonline.com/177385...er-sleep-naked

https://blog.columbia.com/sleeping-naked/

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...e-naked-inside
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I regularly use a 20 deg TQ down to 0°F and a bit beyond with no problems while wearing every layer I've got. This includes, by design, down parka AND down pants. The UQ is 0 deg.

The keys for me are that layers must not be tight and must not be damp... hence my obsession with careful management of layers in the winter to prevent overheating.

Edit: I was dawdling while sidney was posting, but this paragraph from SectionHiker boils it down:

The best practice is to wear a dry base layer (top, bottom, socks, and hat) in your sleeping bag at night to keep it clean and to keep you warmer in cooler weather. These should be loose-fitting to prevent your hands or feet from getting cold due to loss of circulation and to help trap warmer air near the surface of your skin

That said, I rarely carry extra layers which is why it's so important to manage moisture during the hike.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-16-2018 at 05:54.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    Agree with Sidneyhornblower....the only time extra layers should work against you is if they are moisture laiden or are prone to absorbing/holding moisture from the air on a damp night. And remember, rayon/Tencel/cellulose/cotton/silk, and and to a lesser extent nylon/polyamid, can absorb moisture and be a bit cold compared to polyester, acrylic or polypropylene/olefin. (Wool is a unique beast that can still be problematic if truly wet, but performs magically when worn on damp days as long as it's not really wet...if you know what I mean.) The nylon fabrics typically used for quilts are so thin/light, their moisture holding ability is negligible....your body heat dries them quickly. But, if you had something like a heavy nylon canvas shirt or old school windbreaker or pants, it might feel cold as a lot of your body heat is absorbed to drive out the moisture from the fibers. This property related to fiber moisture absorption is called moisture regain...here is a chart of most common fibers.... https://sweatyknitter.files.wordpres...bsorbency3.jpg

As I mentioned wool is magical...one can Google about it's behavior and "moisture regain" for much more knowledge.

Scott

One strength of clothing as insulation....if it fits well, no cold pockets or drafts. BUT, saying it again, it has to bed dry or quickly dried by body heat.

Images
    Thanks every one for the answers coming in already from the middle of the night to the early morning!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Agree with Sidneyhornblower....the only time extra layers should work against you is if they are moisture laiden or are prone to absorbing/holding moisture from the air on a damp night. And remember, rayon/Tencel/cellulose/cotton/silk, and and to a lesser extent nylon/polyamid, can absorb moisture and be a bit cold compared to polyester, acrylic or polypropylene/olefin. (Wool is a unique beast that can still be problematic if truly wet, but performs magically when worn on damp days as long as it's not really wet...if you know what I mean.) The nylon fabrics typically used for quilts are so thin/light, their moisture holding ability is negligible....your body heat dries them quickly. But, if you had something like a heavy nylon canvas shirt or old school windbreaker or pants, it might feel cold as a lot of your body heat is absorbed to drive out the moisture from the fibers. This property related to fiber moisture absorption is called moisture regain...here is a chart of most common fibers.... https://sweatyknitter.files.wordpres...bsorbency3.jpg

As I mentioned wool is magical...one can Google about it's behavior and "moisture regain" for much more knowledge.

Scott

One strength of clothing as insulation....if it fits well, no cold pockets or drafts. BUT, saying it again, it has to bed dry or quickly dried by body heat.
    I do absolutely understand and agree with all who have mentioned the importance of dry clothing if they are not going to actually detract from from being able to reach the full warmth potential of our quilts. Evaporative cooling is a b****! Which is why swamp cooler work so well in dry climates to keep you cool, and VBs so well to keep me warm. I used to live in a house trailer in Phoenix, AZ(115-120F) and was quite comfy in that metal box, if a bit clammy, without AC. But even AC works by means of evaporation.

They can be a real negative, at least until those clothes are dried from body heat and/or hot water bottles. And even then, where has that moisture gone? Into your down quilts, perhaps decreasing their loft and warmth? Yes, that is best avoided if possible.

And the moisture absorbing and/or drying speeds of our various fabrics is also a point well made. I have posted previously about a light weight (12 oz) hooded Polarguard jacket with water proof/breathable shell which I poured some water into before lightly squeezing out and going on a fast walk in cold(30s) wet weather. Only to find it bone dry barely over 30 minutes later. The extreme opposite of that would be going to bed in damp cotton which in my experience is not going to dry any time soon. The large amount of moisture it can absorb will just be evaporating away for a long time, doing it's job of cooling. but still, if it ever does dry with the moisture ending up as vapor, where does that vapor end up? Condensed back into liquid in the cold outer layers of my quilts?

But dry insulation is of course different. And even if slightly damp, especially a quick drying synthetic, is it still adding warmth? IOW, is it so damp that if we were standing around outside and somewhat cold, if we removed it and now just had our thin base layer on, would we warm up? I suspect in most cases I would actually not warm up but be colder. Still, when it is time to get in our quilts, the drier our clothing the better.

I can also see how, especially if our clothing is already itself about the same temp as outside, and especially if already slightly damp, they might slow down the feeling of warmth when we first get under/over the quilts. The less insulation between us and our quilts, the faster they are going to absorb our body heat and feel warm against our skin. Still, that body heat has now been removed from our core temp, and will now- speed of which depending on the thickness of the quilt- start leaving the quilt for the atmosphere. Where it will have to be replaced by more of our body heat. Any fairly dry clothing that made me warmer than nothing before I get under the quilt should slow down the speed at which my body heat first makes it to the quilts and then on to the outside. Just as a thicker quilt would do the same. Should, anyway.

After all, if my insulating clothing prevents or slows my body heat from warming my cold quilt up, doesn't that mean that body heat is being held closer to me, with that body heat being used to keep my core warmer rather than warming my quilt up? That warmed up quilt would certainly feel warmer against my skin initially, but I'm not sure if that would help much for a long night as that body heat travels on through the quilt and escapes to the outside. Especially if in the best of conditions our quilt will keep us warm at 20F, but it is 10F.

But again, that is all just how I think it ought to work, at least according to theory. Or maybe law of physics rather than just theory. None of that matters if some one has been cold in a 20F quilt at 10F, removed some clothing and warmed up. Or as I suspect is the more common situation- been cold in a 20F Q at 30 or 40, removed some clothing and warmed up. Especially if that clothing was damp. But for me, layering clothing has always helped. Often helping me to push gear well beyond it's rating. I really need to try the other approach and put it to the test.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Love Gadget's comment about magical thinking, and I really appreciate the thought you put into posts like this, BillyBob58. I always enjoy reading your stuff. ..........
    Thank you, SHB! And thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I regularly use a 20 deg TQ down to 0°F and a bit beyond with no problems while wearing every layer I've got. This includes, by design, down parka AND down pants. The UQ is 0 deg.

The keys for me are that layers must not be tight and must not be damp... hence my obsession with careful management of layers in the winter to prevent overheating.

Edit: I was dawdling while sidney was posting, but this paragraph from SectionHiker boils it down:

That said, I rarely carry extra layers which is why it's so important to manage moisture during the hike.
    Yep, avoiding tight fit and moisture management is VERY important for me also!

Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    ......... This property related to fiber moisture absorption is called moisture regain...here is a chart of most common fibers.... https://sweatyknitter.files.wordpres...bsorbency3.jpg

Scott

I forgot to say: thanks for the chart. Pretty fascinating that wool can absorb 1.5 to 2X more moisture than cotton, and yet is universally considered much warmer when wet than cotton. I once had a Search and Recue guy working in the Rocky Mtns tell me they if they could just ever convince back country users to stop wearing cotton jeans and switch to wool pants, they would cut way down on body recovery rather than rescuing live folks.

And in my experience a thin merino wool next to skin layer is almost magical. But, my polyester long johns are almost magical in their ability to dry out quickly, if I ever manage to get them wet in them first place, not an easy task.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    And in my experience a thin merino wool next to skin layer is almost magical. But, my polyester long johns are almost magical in their ability to dry out quickly, if I ever manage to get them wet in them first place, not an easy task.
    Precisely my experience. Polyester is IMO the truly magical fabric — it dries out quickly, is light, durable and cheap. Not many things you can say that about.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast