Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

REI Garage Sale - Sat March 17 - Columbus, OH (Easton)

This isn't really a campout or trip in the strictest sense... (unless you count us "camping out" on the sidewalk a camp out) but I wanted to see if any other HF folks from Ohio were going to hit the REI Garage Sales this weekend?

I'll be at the REI at Easton, in Columbus. I'm going up with a group of local guys from the Chillicothe area (who I'm working on converting to hammock camping). Last year when we went up to the spring garage sale we got in line around 4:30 and there were 12 groups in line ahead of us, so we're planning to get there between 3:30 and 4:00 this time. If there are any other HF folks around, I'd love to say "Hey".

After we're done at Easton, we'll probably hit the REI on Sawmill Road just to see if there's anything interesting left ,and then grab some lunch and head back South.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Thanks for reminding me. My local REI is also having a garage sale on St Pat's Day. Not sure I want to camp out for it though. Hope you find it worth your while and score some epic gear at some ridiculously low prices. It is a rush to score gear at insanely low prices. Drink a green beer for me, Roogles!

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Hey, Roogles! Did you mean 4 in the AM?! Wow... The only time I've been to one, I just stumbled into the one on Sawmill and found it in progress...must have been a secret, 'cause it was almost empty. Picked up a couple of jackets and got a membership that day. Don't think I want to do 4AM though! Let us know what you find!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Good call. I live 5 mins from sawmill. Gonna have to saunter by.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    This must have been posted in the wrong place, as it got moved... (oops, sorry!).

My small band of adventurers arrived at the REI at the Easton REI in Columbus at 2:45AM on Saturday. The next person showed up to get in line behind us at 5:05AM.

Last year - same weekend - I arrived at 4:45 and had approximately 20 groups ahead of me in the line... Live and learn I guess.

It was really really cold, and we had freezing rain from about 7:30-9:30AM. I took my BioLite stove and we made coffee (several pots of coffee) on the sidewalk, and then made made sausage, egg, pepper, and cheese burritos on the stove.

We didn't find anything too awesome at the REI at Easton, so when we bailed out of there we went to the REI on Sawmill Road and I picked up a really nice Big Agnes sleeping back for my (tent camping) wife. $399 marked down to $38 - because one of the zippers was "finicky".

Great time hanging out with friends in the cold, and a serious excuse for a long nap Saturday AND Sunday afternoon!

IMG_0448.jpg IMG_0449.jpg

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I got to my local REI at 7:30 AM and was part of group three. They had nothing I wanted. Not even sure if I was group one that they would have anything I wanted. I had low expectations anyways there. REI did have some nice NEW spring rain jackets there that fit people who are extra large around the middle. Almost bought one with my dividend, but next weekend they are issuing 20% off on full price and garage sale merchandise , so I'll pull the trigger on some new gear then.

• + New Posts