Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors

Question Lighter Gears (UQ, Tarp)

I've been backpackng for little over a year and about to replace my beginner gears and trying to move into lighter and better gears. doing so, I realized that my underquilt / sleeping bag and tarp are the biggest.

I rather use UQ than a foam or a pad and What is consider to be a light underquilt in lbs wise. under 1 lbs? 1.5 lbs? Mine is currenlty about 1.8 lbs and rated for 30f. My sleeping back is about 1.9 lbs and rated 19f. Any suggestion of products?

I have the ENO tarp with doors that is about 1.85 lbs. it's great but wondering if any suggestion to replace? All I saw was the dyneema tarps with doors which goes for $350-$400 (yikes!). I want a tarp with doors about 11ft or so.

any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

sincerely,
    noob.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out any of the cottage vendors quilts as they are typically very light and well built. Check out LocoLibre, HammockGear, Warbonnet, etc. As far as lighter tarps. It's Cuban Fiber(Dyneema) or the next best is SilPoly. You should check out the Warbonnet MiniFly and ThunderFly as these are very well designed tarps that will keep you warm and dry and are very light for the coverage.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ategory/tarps/

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Just remember that to be truly light will be expensive....especially the last few ounces. For me its cheaper to lose weight off my spare tire! LOL

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors

Thumbs up

Thank you. I will certainly check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Check out any of the cottage vendors quilts as they are typically very light and well built. Check out LocoLibre, HammockGear, Warbonnet, etc. As far as lighter tarps. It's Cuban Fiber(Dyneema) or the next best is SilPoly. You should check out the Warbonnet MiniFly and ThunderFly as these are very well designed tarps that will keep you warm and dry and are very light for the coverage.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ategory/tarps/

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Full length UQ? You should probably looking at 18-28oz, depending on exact temp rating and price range. $150(?)-$250 maybe.

Other UQ lengths I personally haven’t looked at much.

Tarp - I really scrutinized it when I was in your place. I went with the Warbonnet Superfly and I can’t be happier. 20oz though, but that’s about as light as you can go before losing doors or going to dyneema. Half the price of a dyneema tarp too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Pounds are easy and cheap to get rid of

Ounces are expensive to get rid of

Grams....very expensive to get rid of

Get a scale that can weigh up to 10 lbs in lbs, oz and grams. Weigh everything you plan to pack...everything...and record it on a spread sheet. When you get back from a trip....review what you took...did you use it and if you did not, then why not and do you really need to take it next time. Is there anything you took that could multitask. Does all your electronics ( flash light, camera ect ) use the same batteries....

3/4 UQs will weigh less than a FL UQ. And take up less space in the pack. If I need insulation in the foot end then I throw my jacket down there and place my feet on it.

But first you need to decide what is the coldest you plan to be camping in and then get a UQ / TQ that will handle those temps with some safety margin. A 20 degree rated UQ and TQ seems to the consensus as to the most popular temp range to get for most hangers.

You can save a little bit of weight by going with a 950 fill down but the actual weight savings over 850 fill down is minimal and could cost way more that its worth to save that one or two ounces. You can also save some weight with some of the newer fabrics but you have to remember that most if not all the light weight fabrics will require more care to use

If you can afford it, a Cuben tarp is very light weight. I got two of them before the prices went up. They weight about 8+ oz and have doors. My silnylon tarps with doors all weigh in around 20 oz and up but cost less
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Please explain to me why americans use oz and grams in the same sentence.

oz is imperial and gram is metric and the US are staunch supporters of imperial measurements for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post

oz is imperial and gram is metric and the US are staunch supporters of imperial measurements for everything.
    No all of us are supporters. I'd guess it's easier to say a gram than 0.035 oz ?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post

Because it's easier to say 1 gram than 0.0352739907229404 oz.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Hall View Post
    Full length UQ? You should probably looking at 18-28oz, depending on exact temp rating and price range. $150(?)-$250 maybe.

Other UQ lengths I personally haven’t looked at much.

Tarp - I really scrutinized it when I was in your place. I went with the Warbonnet Superfly and I can’t be happier. 20oz though, but that’s about as light as you can go before losing doors or going to dyneema. Half the price of a dyneema tarp too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually you can get lighter...look at Mac Cat Ultra. Only prob is, Brian is sometimes slow to get back to you, and I am not sure if he is still doing the work himself or he has expanded to hire staff to make his tarps. My Ultra weighed 13.5 oz w/o doors. I had 2qzq sew some doors on it for 2 oz per side. I could have gone lighter with cuben grizz beaks, but i wanted a no fiddle factor tarp. Now I need to get a cuben tarp to save those few ounces I added with the tarp door mod.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 03-15-2018 at 08:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast