WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB edge/WB SF
    Insulation
    HG 40/40, 0/0 T/U
    Suspension
    DW spider+mantis

Dutchware Spider Daisy Chains + mantis

First, I'm blown away at Dutch's solution to "atlas straps". He's taken every element and improved it. I've been using his gear for a while now and it's always top-quality and the attention to detail is superb. My old setup was nylon tree straps/dutch buckle, whoopie slings w/hook and continuous loop on my WBBB. It's been a while since I hiked, so I went to see what's new on his site. I have some atlas straps and an eno doublenest for lazing around here locally, however the weight of atlas straps ( 11 oz ) is why I've never carried them. They're also only 9' in length.

Enter in UHMWPE ( ultra-high-molecular-weight-polyethylene ). Dutch had someone manufacture these truly amazing "atlas straps". 20ft weighs under 5oz, the breaking strength is 1500lbs! Atlas straps by comparison are 1000lbs per strap. If you use the "mantis" clips/hooks with a continuous loop, you get a system that is lighter than my old one, more durable and less of a hassle to maintain ( anyone who's had their whoopie slings get wet and freeze overnight knows what I'm talking about ). The loop spacing is reduced to 3 inches, which makes your hang much more customizable ( atlas straps are 6" ). The mantis hooks do away with carabiners.

This is my new favorite setup due to it's simplicity and durability. The straps will work as tree straps, then you just place your mantis hook and done. My new suspension is under 5 oz for something more durable and easier

Thanks Dutch!

- Ziploc

https://youtu.be/e3tdh5V2L1U <-- webbing info

https://youtu.be/w6AHR7xyXOg <-- mantis info

Resized_20180312_163934_256.jpg
    Last edited by slammiam; 03-13-2018 at 16:17.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I still marvel at the Spider Daisy Chain and Mantis. Efficient, lightweight, packable, and nice looking too.

Great review and comparison of older, heavier suspension. This is the set up that will make all kind of hangers happy.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutchw
    I bought the original kammock python straps after using the Whoopi’s setup and loved the simplicity and the secured hold it had on me. These will rock!
    I am still considering the beetle buckles however
    Last edited by Bosman; 07-22-2018 at 17:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I recently acquired the spider daisy chain and mantis clips for CL connection. I think you would be hard pressed to find a lighter suspension configuration. Dutchware continues to impress me.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    It's easy to find a lighter setup, but I've pretty much stopped using everything else-this is so quick & easy -- and light enough!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The spider daisy chains are great and I’m sure the Mantis makes a lightweight contribution. But I’m not sure I’m ready to give up that lightweight carabiner. It’s so handy to have at the end of the hammock to hold a backpack or shoes. But for lightweight day hikes, with hammock, spider + mantis would be pretty sweet. I had to make a “half-step” Amsteel loop to use with daisy chains that only provided 5 to 6 inch increments. The 3 inches the spider chain gives is close enough.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts