Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

Radiant Double Bubble Pad For Ground?

Hi All,

I'm hiking the Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland this summer with two friends. Due to the gear we have, I'm looking at taking my HH Expedition for my shelter. I'm almost certain I won't be able to hang every night due to a lack of trees, so I'm planning setting up my HH on the tent pads provided (wooden palette like structure) when I can't hang. I can't go tarp only, the bugs are notorious on this trail.

My question is what to do about a sleeping pad. I could bring my HH radiant double pad, which could be used for both ground and hang. Or I could bring my JRB Nest UQ for hanging and an inflatable sleeping pad for the ground. Does anyone have experience sleeping on a radiant pad on the ground? This is the lightest option for me so I'm leaning "heavily" towards it.

Side note, is an emergency blanket ok for a ground sheet, or should I pick up some tyvek?

Thanks
    Mike

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I've no experience doing this kind of camping, however, I have read about folks like Mike Cleeland, author of Backpackin' Light, and Andrew Skurka, and they have a wealth of knowledge on exactly the kind of ground camping you are talking about. Both however are dedicated ground dwellers as a minimalist ground setup will ALWAYS be the lightest backpack option. Dutch is also a great resource as he has thru hiked the AT in a hammock, if I am not mistaken. I'm not sure if he had to use his hammock in a ground setup/bivy mode however.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've not used this particular reflective pad but I've tried the windshield reflective material and there's no way I would go to ground with this as you might as well lay on the ground as there's zero padding. In addition this stuff causes all kinds of condensation which removes a lot of it's insulating properties. I'd recommend an air pad for both going to ground and hammock use. Also the emergency blanket will last once used as a ground cloth as this stuff is thinner than paper and not much more durable.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Are you talking the reflectix stuff? Essentially small bubble wrap sandwiched in between two layers of radiant mylar. I can't sleep on one layer of it, but I think some probably could. I find its outstanding if doubled over, but that gets real bulky. I certainly wouldn't go on trip without having done it to make sure its ok, and even then I'd worry its not enough insulation. I think its very good for its weight in insulating and I attribute it to the bubbles - air in the bubbles gets warmed much like it does in down and the mylar seems to provide substantial protection to keep them from popping. That's the only thing the mylar is good for (when laying directly on it), if I could get it in non-reflective material I would - but of course, that's not what its sold to do.

For tent use - when I must - I take a single layer of reflectix and put a Klymit Inetia X Lite pad on it. That way I at least benefit some from the radiant mylar, but get sufficient cushioning to have said I slept (which all of us hangers know is a farce). I don't know how heavy your inflatable pad is, but I can't imagine the difference not being worth using the pad instead of the reflectix. Personally, I'd take the Nest and air pad because comfort matters that much to me. But no reason you can't use the pad in the hammock only - I did that for years in my Hennessy. And for years after getting an UQ I took same pad with me "just in case". Never used it, but reality is those 16oz weren't making my pack all that heavy (other stuff did).

The weight thing is a personal choice - my advice is to keep it personal, not on paper, and try to decide what the best overall experience outcome is going to be for you and select gear accordingly.

p.s. I've used the shiny emergency blanket as a ground sheet and its fine, but its not as durable and is a little more difficult to manage (fold back up) than the tyvek.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 03-13-2018 at 09:07.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Thanks for the replies. I've never used an airpad in my hammock, sounds like a good time to try. Best solution sounds like the air pad (Klymit Static V2) with a real ground sheet.

The HH radiant pad seems to have a fair amount of padding, I might try it on the ground one night as a test. It has worked great for me hanging with a 0 degree bag (C) with nights getting down to ~3 degree C. Just picked up the JRB Nest though, can't wait to give an UQ a go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Are you talking the reflectix stuff? .
    Yup, but the doubled up Hennessy version. I'd save about 200 grams in weight with the radiant pad, but it takes up way more pack space. Bonus is it makes a great seat around camp. I'm not going to fuss over that though since I can handle either the extra weight or space. Pad is ~500g (Klymit static V2). Since I'm going early August I don't anticipate getting cold without the Nest, but the klymit does have a low R rating (1.7 I think).

Will give the radiant pad a go some night and let people know how it works on the ground.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I've used the reflectix as a ground pad about 6 times. I'll try to upload a picture when I get home, but here's the gist of it. A single piece of the 16" wide reflectix measured whatever length you like. Mine goes down to my ankles. Another piece of 16" measured the length of your torso. Let's call that 3' for simplicity. Cut the torso length piece in half longways so that you have two 3'x8" pieces. Use duct tape to attach them to the top portion of the body length piece so that you have should wings on both sides. Use scissors and round off all the corners.

:-------:
    +------+--------+
    :
    +------+--------+
    : ------:

Duct tape works like a hinge allowing you to fold in the wings making it a little smaller when rolling it up. Opening the wings gives you more coverage for your shoulders in the hammock and the ground. You can fold them in for additional layers on colder nights, but you lose your shoulder protection. Site selection is really important, the reflectix is about insulation not comfort. Camp off the beaten path on a lot of duff (pine needles, leaves, etc).

An emergency blanket is useless as a groundsheet, rips too easy. Polycro, Tyvek, split trashbag. A few shakedown trips sound like a must. I don't know the trail you're thinking about or your comfort level with minimal systems. Going too light is dumb. I still prefer my hammock, but for some reason the notion of just taking out a tarp appeals to me every now and then and usually only for a night or two. I've never tried this long distance. Good luck.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If you will go out to You Tube and check out Evan's Backpacking you will see he sleeps on a 4ft piece of reflectix every night.He has gotten very good at finding comfortable ground with adequate duff.here is a link where you can see his setup.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_KkaW4d6Ek

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Site selection is really important, the reflectix is about insulation not comfort. Camp off the beaten path on a lot of duff (pine needles, leaves, etc).
    I'm quite certain I'll have to camp on the provided wooden platforms. The terrain can be very wet and boggy, plus I don't want to sleep on a game trail and get trampled by a moose or caribou. Just to be sure I'll plan on using the wooden platform. Thanks for your detailed response, if I didn't have the double pad from HH I'd be making what you wrote up.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Double the bubble wrap under your hips. A long pad becomes a torso with extra cushion at the hips. You'll have to try it yourself. I carry a sit pad I put at the hips under the double bubble layer. It is not as comfy as a torso length air matt but...
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast