Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm not a trekking pole guy, but I've been working with Josh at Ruta Locura who does something similar with his CF trekking poles.
    He's got a near perfect fit on his... it take a bit of pressure but the piece he has basically clicks on like it was made to fit the pole tip... which it basically is. Super solid.

More an more I'm convinced that this is the best solution to resolve or even completely eliminate this issue.

So if the original idea was your's... Trekking pole users owe you a huge thanks!

On the other side... my contribution to our collaboration on this pole set we are working on...

His solution was to pop a pole tip into his trekking pole shaft. Basically you have access to the tube itself at the handle. Not bad with a hardware based bridge, but with a recessed bar... the foam handle can more easily dislodge the pole tip as it gets in the way.

So I have him making up a shaft the size of the main tube with a ferrule... basically turns the handle side into a bridge pole (and increases the tip size used too) while keeping the handle about 6" away from the suspension.
    This has the added advantage of allowing the pole to be completely collapsed so you are in full compression and not relying on the adjustment mechanism or an internal dowel. (The ferrule is the dowel basically).

I'll have to get some pics at somepoint, but we're on round three of them and initial testing. So didn't want to share until I knew it was holding up.
    9.75 ounces for the pair including the adapters for the bridge.
    Not sure I can take credit for the solution, probably just similar thought process to solve the problem. I have done something similar to this since the early days of bridge hammocks. There are probably posts 8-9 years back showing the ones I made on a lathe. The ones made from tent poles are an easier diy fix.

Ironically my trekking poles have been around for years. They were sold by TiGoat but made by Ruta Locura. I changed the grips out after a couple years.

Btw my solution for the grip end sounds just like the one you described, basically a pole tip modified to a press fit in end of pole

20180319_191249.jpg
    My solution to extend the trekking pole and deal with compression forces was to add a piece of tubing over the lower section of pole as pictured. It is the same size as the top tube. Everything stays together and handles compression well.

20180319_183417.jpg 20180319_183509.jpg

Kinda like the old days with all the bridge hammock discussion!
    Last edited by hangnout; 03-19-2018 at 19:56.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    https://imgur.com/a/sxSEz

Finished with bars. I might want to add in some noseeum but thinking I might want it to be removable. Thinking mitten hooks to hold it in place or just sewing, a line at the head to keep it out of your face and then it just lays on top of your feet. Anyone attempt sitting like this before? I'd prefer not to use zippers. Maybe I could do pockets to keep the net down like Dutch has on one of his hammocks.

Also, if I sewed up a bag for the triangles so I can store gear in there is that ok? I'm assuming I can't put in the kitchen sink but maybe my shoes, pack, etc...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Not sure I can take credit for the solution, probably just similar thought process to solve the problem. I have done something similar to this since the early days of bridge hammocks. There are probably posts 8-9 years back showing the ones I made on a lathe. The ones made from tent poles are an easier diy fix.

Ironically my trekking poles have been around for years. They were sold by TiGoat but made by Ruta Locura. I changed the grips out after a couple years.

Btw my solution for the grip end sounds just like the one you described, basically a pole tip modified to a press fit in end of pole

20180319_191249.jpg
    My solution to extend the trekking pole and deal with compression forces was to add a piece of tubing over the lower section of pole as pictured. It is the same size as the top tube. Everything stays together and handles compression well.

20180319_183417.jpg 20180319_183509.jpg

Kinda like the old days with all the bridge hammock discussion!
    Here's the current third round prototype... https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg7g3lbMyB5zN0dOXcg
    Between Josh and myself, this seems like a pretty elegant solution overall. He also was doing the pole tip only, but that seemed like a very easy piece to lose IMO. And the handle issue for recessed bars was a factor for me. For SUL CF poles, these are pretty solid and there are less 'moving pieces' involved. I like that you don't have to take the pole itself apart as the 'dowel' is basically built into the insert for the handle side.

As mentioned, on the tip side, you can see his tips have a small ridge in one of the closeups and the pole adapter he has basically clicks on.

I'm hoping to put a handful of these out to testers in the coming months but feeling pretty optimistic about them overall.

This set produces two 36" poles that fit my medium (roughly an Ariel size) bridge.

At just under 10 ounces this is a light pole set as is, with only a minor ding to make it a viable bridge pole set for the UL crowd.
    I still feel it makes sense (especially in a recessed bar bridge) to carry at least one head pole. I think that is a reasonably light system without getting stupid light.
    At under 3 ounces for a single 36" 600 two piece pole that's not a bad combo. Trekking poles break... and these are SUL poles. With one head pole you'd always have a safe and reliable pole in your kit, and the 'extra' trekking pole doesn't go to waste as it can be used as a tarp spreader or for porch mode which I think makes using a lighter/tighter pitched tarp a viable option.

I put a photo of a stakeless tarp design I like for my smaller bridges. The photo has an umbrella inside as the 'spreader'.
    As mentioned, I tend not to use trekking poles so an umbrella is something I use often. But this tarp design would do very well with a pole mod and the trekking pole would be about the perfect size. In that case you could still use the bridge hardware and rely on the locking mechanism to give you a pretty good 55-60" pole.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by theck View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/sxSEz

Finished with bars. I might want to add in some noseeum but thinking I might want it to be removable. Thinking mitten hooks to hold it in place or just sewing, a line at the head to keep it out of your face and then it just lays on top of your feet. Anyone attempt sitting like this before? I'd prefer not to use zippers. Maybe I could do pockets to keep the net down like Dutch has on one of his hammocks.

Also, if I sewed up a bag for the triangles so I can store gear in there is that ok? I'm assuming I can't put in the kitchen sink but maybe my shoes, pack, etc...
    Looks like a bridge!

And yes... you can store some items out side the bridge in the triangles but I would suggest using a structural RL if you can. (a bit hard in a bic design)
    You can also put in a bit of a net triangle if you want... just a square with channels and drawcords if that makes sense.

Here are some storage bags I have in prototype phase- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg7YcG5J8nWGmVG6b2A
    I call mine 'gear trunks'

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    I know I had a set from Dutch snap on me leaving a gash in my head after which someone suggested putting the aluminimum poles into pvc to beef them up. I did a thread at the time. I just gave up went back to my gathered end. I haven’t gathered the gumption to give it another try yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234