Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Hammock Questions: Calling all Heavy Hammockers!

Hello all,
    I joined HammockForums back in the spring 2017, then promptly broke my leg and was out of commission till the end of February. But I'm back and ready to backpack!

I want to make hammocks and accompanying gear for myself, my partner, and one set for in case we have company on a trip.

Unfortunately, breaking my leg killed my weight loss and I gained everything I had already lost back, plus about twenty pounds. So while my partner is about 180 lbs, I'm more like 280 lbs. I'm looking on RipstopByTheRoll for fabrics, and I found a basic weight rating chart on there. I'm thinking about going with either the 1.6oz HyperD Diamond Ripstop or 1.7oz ROBIC XL Hybring ripstop (it now comes in 74" widths in some colors!). I do plan to continue to lose weight, but honestly I would rather have something that can safely support me NOW rather than having to wait until I can use a "weaker" fabric.

I guess what I'm getting at is do those of you who are on the heavier side have any advice for me?

I'm also planning on making a winter tarp from the D.I.Y. Gear Supply website. I know this will be a bit heavier, but I think that for shoulder season backpacking on the west coast (Oregon), it would be better. When we have rain, chances are it's coming down at an angle and I think the doors would be nice to have.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Get the 1.7!

I think if I was you id go with a double layer hammock outside layer 1.7 robic xl and inside layer of 1.0 robic xl shouldnt add that much more weight and would give you alot of extra weight capacity to play with and extra piece of mine. Plus those weights are different on other websites I have yet to see the same weights listed. I have always been told to subtract 30% from any weight limit to be safe. Im in the same boat as you Im around 230 and I will be doing a double layer. Plus a double layer really helps with the biting bugs.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Get the 1.7!
    What Sqid said. Definitely get the 1.7 oz ROBIC. It is super-strong in a single-layer application with a weight capacity well beyond your needs, it's extremely to sew, and it won't feel ridiculously overtbuilt when your weight returns to what it was.

What I love about 1.7 oz ROBIC is that even higher load capacities can be accommodated with a single layer, which is rated for somewhere between 400 and 500 pounds. Use 1/8" Amsteel for your continuous loops, structural ridge line, and suspension for that extra margin of safety, and a ROBIC hammock should be strong enough to support you and your partner together if built correctly.

I made a DIY integrated-net hammock and a DIY netless widebody hammock out of 1.7 oz ROBIC, and both provide a firm, comfortable, supportive lay.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Yep, 1.7 Robic will be fine. I'm also a huge fan of the 2.2 Hex 70. I'm 330 and sleep in a 2.2 Hex 70 nightly. My 1.7 robic hangs outside in the summer. Many many hours in both. I have several 1.6 hypers and they are a bit stretchy for me. Bet they would be a very comfortable for you as you are a bit lighter. It all depends on what feels good. Maybe you should make one of each. :-)
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I am down to 275 from 290. I have the 2.2 hex 70 in a DH Sparrow, which I use for cold weather car camping. a big caveat to DL anything, is that the hammock will be heavy for hiking. My DL rig weighs in at 55 oz, (with all the doo-dads,bells, whistles, etc)! As my hammock is modular, I can save weight by leaving parts of it at home, but still, the DL option adds a lot of extra weight if you care about such things. For a 4 season do everything hammock, my DH DL sparrow is great, but not so light as a more specialized SL lighter fabric hammock like the DH Darien or Raven, or the SL Dutchware Gear Chameleon. I tried laying in a SL Dutch Chameleon with 1.6 Argon fabric and was very comfortable, but I have never slept in one overnight yet. For a lightweight hammock with maybe a tad more stretch, at 280#, you could probably be ok in single layer 1.6, and DEFINITELY be more than secure (in Sector 7) by using SL 1.7 robic, like many others have already said.

Hammockers get leis on the Diagonal.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 03-12-2018 at 08:11.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Below is RBTR's hammock fabric comparison chart

They list robic 1.7 at 400lbs. The OP probably won't need a 2nd layer for extra capacity. Unless a 2nd layer is desired for a pad or bug protection, again I suggest a single layer of this fabric as an ideal starting point

We all have different body configurations, life experences and preferences, so it may take a good bit of experimenting to get things just right. For example, at 5'4" 160ish winter lbs, you'd think this fabric would be way overkill for me, but that's not the case. Unfortunately, my particular combo of physical ailments makes me hypersensitive, thus most light and midrange fabrics unacceptable. I use this fabric for both my indoor GE and a Chameleon clone. I do intend to make another Chameleon clone with Robic 1.2 for backpacking. I guess my point here is that this fabric has an amazing ability to span a wide range of folks.

All that said, Robic 1.7 it IS too firm for me as a bridge. Thankfully Robic 1.2 has proven to be perfect for me.

My wife is lighter than I am and her fabric of choice is Hexon 2.4, due to her particular back and hip issues.

Code:
    Single Layer Hammock
    Fabric               Weight Limit
    1.0 HyperD           200 lbs
    1.0 Robic XL         225 lbs
    1.1 MTN Series       225 lbs
    1.1 Ripstop          200 lbs
    1.2 Robic XL Hybrid  250 lbs
    1.6 OutdoorINK       300 lbs
    1.6 HyperD           300 lbs
    1.9 Ripstop Nylon    350 lbs
    1.7 Robic Hybrid     400 lbs
    2.2 Hex 70           400 lbs

Double Layer Hammock 
    Outside Layer                Inside Layer                  Weight Limit
    1.0 Robic                    1.0 Robic                     400 lbs
    1.6 HyperD/OutdoorINK 1.6    1.0 Robic                     440 lbs
    1.6 HyperD/OutdoorINK 1.6    1.6 HyperD/outdoorINK 1.6     500 lbs
    1.6 HyperD/OutdoorINK 1.6    1.9 Ripstop                   550 lbs
    1.7 Robic Hybrid             1.7 Robic Hybrid              600 lbs
    1.6 HyperD/OutdoorINK 1.6    2.2 Hex70                     550 lbs
    1.6 HyperD/OutdoorINK 1.6    1.0 HyperD/1.1 Ripstop        400 lbs
    1.9 Ripstop 1.0              HyperD /1.1 Ripstop           450 lbs
    2.2 Hex70                    1.0 Robic                     550 lbs
    2.2 Hex70                    1.9 Ripstop                   600 lbs
    2.2 Hex70 1.0                HyperD /1.1 Ripstop           440 lbs
    NOTE: While I was working on this off/on over a period of time, I see others have chimed in as well, so much of this (my post) is moot at this point.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The 1.6 or 1.7 single layer will be good I'm sure. When it came out there was a smattering of threads with guys in the low and mid 300's saying they weren't having any issues.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...89105502884063

The testing on the 1.6 fabric. 1200 lbs static for 12 days with only mild stretch <5%. My brother fluctuates in the mid to high 200's and we went with the 1.6 hyperD. Gives him a margin of error and those ratings are going to be conservative. Plenty of 160lb guys here (myself included) using the 1.0 fabrics that end up with the same 50ish pound safety margin.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I’ve been between 230-250 lately (down to 225 right now and working on it!) I have a HyperD 1.6, and find it too stretchy at my heavier end. Definitely good at 230 and below. My preferred is my hexon xl 1.6, which is stiffer and less stretchy. My guess is the Robic 1.6 is similar to the Hexon.

At 280 less stretch is better. If you are solely a back sleeper you can prolly go stretchier. I’m a side sleeper, and the hyberD doesn’t work for me because of that. It stretches too much, and doesn’t support my spine and hips properly. I can feel the hyper extension when on my side. Tha5 said, I also have a tendency to learn to back sleep on extended trips.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast