Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Bad influence on Coworkers?

So when I started out hammock camping I bought the usual beginner ENO gear. I used it for a season and had no problems with it, but lets face it, I'd been bitten by the bug and started looking into the lighter, better gear. I upgraded my hammock to a Dutch Chameleon and my tarp to a HG Quest. I sold my ENO hammock and tarp to one coworker. Then the Spring MAHHA planning forum comes out and so of course I'm excited about it and talk to the guy I sold my gear to. Another coworker overhears us talking and starts asking about it and why hammock camping is so much better than tent camping.

I answer his questions and then present to him Shug's How to series for noobs. I explicitly tell him if he wants to try hammocking to go to walmart or even Dicks to get a cheaper hammock to see if he likes it before he burns big money on the lifestyle. He goes home and apparently watches the rest of Shug's how to series. The next day he comes in and tells me he got on Dutch's site and ordered himself a brand new hammock, complete with bling and whoopie slings. He couldn't remember which one he bought, but from how he described it to me it sounds like he pulled the trigger on a Chameleon. So much for starting off slow huh? To top it off yet a third coworker is now asking questions and expressing interest in hammocks. Luckily for him he's a tabletop gamer, so his wife is used to him dropping big bucks on odd stuff at the drop of a hat...

So all three coworkers have seen Shug's noob series at this point and I assume from how they talked they liked what they saw. So the question remains, does turning three of my coworkers onto hammocks make me a bad influence? Or can the fault be equally placed between myself for getting them interested and Shug for his outstanding series that answered more of their questions than I could and alleviated some of their concerns?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I blame Shug, he is a bad influence

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    But he's a very informative bad influence! Lol

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Yes, you are a bad influence. At least according to their spouses when they see the CC bill.

My coworkers only care about the Kardashians and what happened on The Bachelor. ��

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Productivity at your workplace will now decrease and the lollygag factor will rise.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's 100% Shug's fault I have a Amok Draumr

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    You are a detriment to your team and an asset to this community :-)

I know what you mean... I started talking to a coworker who was trying to get into camping about how I got lighter and use hammocks and he said "Cool! But I don't want to spend much money on anything like that." So he used an old backpack and a Ticket To The Moon hammock he got on a group discount. Months later he has a gossamer gear pack, multiple hammocks, a superfly, TQ/UQ, and is scrutinizing my loadout on LighterPack.com to be sure he's carrying less weight than me when we go. Pretty sure his wife hates me.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Lol I thought healthy competition was supposed to be a good thing? I've cut my weight literally in half since I started two seasons ago. The less you know, the more useless, unnecessary crap you carry. I'm at 9.1 pounds for my pack, hammock, and underquilt/woobie blanket. Amazing how fast the weight drops off when you have even just the slightest amount of experience.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Vet2005 View Post
    Lol I thought healthy competition was supposed to be a good thing? I've cut my weight literally in half since I started two seasons ago. The less you know, the more useless, unnecessary crap you carry. I'm at 9.1 pounds for my pack, hammock, and underquilt/woobie blanket. Amazing how fast the weight drops off when you have even just the slightest amount of experience.
    Oh you're right, it's a healthy competition.... mostly him competing with me, LOL. I am "the bar" he has to clear. I'm fairly happy with things, I'm just glad that he's light and happy too. Usually lighter than me now. You're right about the weight.... it doesn't take much experience to understand how to cut a base weight under 15lbs. 9.1 is awesome, do you have a LighterPack or something I can look at? I'm closer to the 12 area, but I usually have to pack for 30 degree lows in the warm months.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I havent put one together yet honestly. I could cut it down to 7.1 if I get a pack like the ULA Ohm 2.0 I want to get. My pack itself is about 4 pounds by itself lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast