WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder

Wookie Review

For those of you that are on the fence about getting a Warbonnet Wookie............ GET ONE!

I went back and forth with purchasing one. I tried to decide 20 degree or 0 degree..... after a few emails with Brandon (and he was very prompt at responding) I went with a Wookie 0 degree XL. I have a blackbird single layer and a Blackbird double XLC.

I live in Central Texas and most times we are in 50 to 30 degree nights and days for winter. But some times we dip a few nights in the 20s. I was hesitant to go to a 0 degree bag because of this. But I am glad that Brandon talked me into it. I spent the past two nights with it under me and both nights have been fairly warm in the low 50s. Completely comfortable! Best money I have spent on my hammock gear and I do not have one regret with the purchase.

Simple simple simple to put on and take off. Wind is kind of a concern if it catches the spacing between the quilt an the hammock but I am going to stitch a few small velcro pieces on to address this. So, from someone that was like some of you reading this, without doubt, hit the purchase button. You will not be disappointed and it will not be a piece of gear that you regretted buying.

D

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Congrats! Happpy that you’re loving your new “0” Wooki. Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been using the “20” Wooki XL as well as the “20” Lynx and can’t say enough great things about them. They are all very well made and truly “set it and forget it” installations. Just ordered and received the “0” Wooki XL and can’t wait to get it outside.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Wind is kind of a concern if it catches the spacing between the quilt an the hammock
    Sounds like you haven't installed it correctly. I have zero spacing between the quilt and the hammock where my body is, when I'm in the hammock.

But I concur with your conclusion: Get one

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Latt,

No spacing when I am in it. We had 15 to 20 mph winds and I did not have my tarp down and the wind got between the hammock and wookie and just blew the hammock out is all. Not a big deal at all. All that is needed is a safety pin or a few sewn in velcro patches.

Images
    I wouldn't recommend sewing velcro to anything. In general all underquits need wind protection to achieve their temperature rating so it is best to just use a tarp or sock or UQ protector in windy conditions to block the wind. Direct wind hitting the quilt will actually be able to pull heat out through the fabric itself, similar to how a gust of wind sucks hot air out of your house through exhaust vents, heat can actually be pulled through the weave of the fabric if you don't have an adequate windblock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Warbonnet UPQ works really well with the Wooki!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Couldn't agree more! Love my 0 degree Wookie - set it and forget it! I loved mine so much I now waiting for a 20 degree lynx for my RR setup (should be here tomorrow!) Warbonnet is quickly becoming my goto source for my hammock and hammock accessories needs, despite the growls from the better half.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    In general all underquilts need wind protection to achieve their temperature rating so it is best to just use a tarp or sock or UQ protector in windy conditions to block the wind.
    ...is one of those obvious, but so often missed, pieces of info when forum members are wondering how low can they go with their favorite rigs. It depends. In January, I experienced a low of -15º for overnight camping. I had stacked Wooki UQs (0º + 20º) and a 0º TQ - but I also had a UQP and a WBBB XLC topcover and a Superfly tarp and a wind-protected hillside - all of which created a wind-blocking system that kept me snugly warm with that 0º TQ. It's not about the rating of any particular item, it's about the system as a whole.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammocks
    Tarp
    LiteAF 11’ Dynema
    Insulation
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Suspension
    Straps & Knots
    Enjoy, I use the 20 degree in three season and the 0 degree in winter. I pushed the 20 degree to 10 degrees back in November and December with my under quilt protector. It worked great.

Just used my 0 degree last week with the under quilt protector. I was toasty warm with some sweat. Opened my top quilt a bit and that did the trick. Keep in my mind everyone is different, I run hot.

Yep, super easy to setup. The Wookie, shelf, and word of mouth is why I gravitated to Warbonnet when I started out last June.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I wouldn't recommend sewing velcro to anything. In general all underquits need wind protection to achieve their temperature rating so it is best to just use a tarp or sock or UQ protector in windy conditions to block the wind. Direct wind hitting the quilt will actually be able to pull heat out through the fabric itself, similar to how a gust of wind sucks hot air out of your house through exhaust vents, heat can actually be pulled through the weave of the fabric if you don't have an adequate windblock.
    Good info for sure. I guess I need to now order a sock to slip over it. wink!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast