Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's a bit of an artform

I have an Amok Draumr, so without the pad, i can't use the hammock, so I can't sit in my hammock and roll

rolling it on dry ground/grass is great, but when it's gross on the ground there's no choice but to do it against my chest

I just fold each third inwards (so it's a long narrow bundle) and the working end is against my chest. the hanging part I can drape over the droopy draumr

then just roll as tightly as I can (valve end is the far end, so that you push any remaining air out) and just give 'er

it sucks, and it's way more of a workout than I want most mornings, but it's just something to do while waiting on 2nd coffee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC v2
    Tarp
    Dovrefjell+Draumr
    Insulation
    Yeti, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    For multiday hiking I always bring a cheap, light, full-length foam pad (or my Exped MultiMat) regardless of bringing my inflatable sleeping pad, just so I can spread out for lunch/breaks, at camp, and have a pad "I don't care about" close to a sparking fire. I usually use that to deflate/pack the inflatable pad on.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    Yeah, a lot of hammockers think I am weird because of my exclusive inflatable pad use. I am so spoiled by the comfort and ease of using the thick soft pad I am almost afraid to even try an UQ again. The first thing I do when I get another hammock is sew a strip of velcro into the footbox (and sometimes the shoulder box). Then I use a small pad sleeve with a velcro strip added or just put a strip of industrial grade sticky-backed velcro right on the pad to hold it in place. I find that much less hassle than screwing around with an UQ and risking calf ridge ruining my night's sleep. And I can go to ground if I find myself above treeline.

I do sometimes add a 3/4 length UQ below the pad in cold weather.
    What I think is weird is buying a UQ and then you have to buy a UQP to protect the UQ. Next thing you know they will come up with a UQPP to protect the UQP.

There seems to be quite a few threads with folks having problems getting a UQ tweaked in order to work properly. A pad is kind of fits the KISS principle. I also have a 3/4 UQ for the same idea of supplementing a pad if the temperature warrants doing so.

I really have not had much of a problem with the Expeds staying in place once I scoot into a diagonal on the SL Raven I owned. When I got a DL WBBB XLC, I thought it would be a hassle to position a pad between the DL layers. But once i put the pad between the layers and at my preferred diagonal it stays in place. I hope it works the same for the DL Sparrow I'm waiting for (sold the Raven to help finance the Sparrow).

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    What I think is weird is buying a UQ and then you have to buy a UQP to protect the UQ. Next thing you know they will come up with a UQPP to protect the UQP.

There seems to be quite a few threads with folks having problems getting a UQ tweaked in order to work properly. A pad is kind of fits the KISS principle. I also have a 3/4 UQ for the same idea of supplementing a pad if the temperature warrants doing so.

I really have not had much of a problem with the Expeds staying in place once I scoot into a diagonal on the SL Raven I owned. When I got a DL WBBB XLC, I thought it would be a hassle to position a pad between the DL layers. But once i put the pad between the layers and at my preferred diagonal it stays in place. I hope it works the same for the DL Sparrow I'm waiting for (sold the Raven to help finance the Sparrow).
    My pad stays in place between hammock layers is comfy and warm, I guess the downside of a pad could be moisture, but I don't suffer from it

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kendra.b View Post
    For those who use an inflatable pad - what are your tips and tricks for rolling it up in the morning?

I recently acquired an inflatable pad for use in my hammock and I’m a bit... perturbed? confused? on the best way to put it away in the morning. I’m leery of rolling it up on the ground, but I don’t think using the hammock as a surface would work very well.

How do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Getting rid of all air in the mattress is key to this process, the rolling or even folding is easy and results in a compact parcel, how you get air out depends on your choice, you can pump it out but I roll an squeeze my against my body with the loose end supported in the hammock to prevent it dragging on the ground or hooking on something sharp, the man reason I don't pump air out while I'm out and about is I don't take a pump . I use a stuff sack / bin liner with an adaptor in the corner to inflate my mattress (I forget it's technical name)

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12