Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images

Question SHT Question

Looking to take my wife on her first backpacking Hammock amble for three nights on the Superior Hiking Trail. What would you recommend as the sweetest three day amble for two experienced AT hikers? Thanks for any advice! Pappy

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pappy Case View Post
    Looking to take my wife on her first backpacking Hammock amble for three nights on the Superior Hiking Trail. What would you recommend as the sweetest three day amble for two experienced AT hikers? Thanks for any advice! Pappy
    It's a bit of a drive but Lake Agnes / White Sky Rock area is my favorite. Or Split Rick river loop is really nice. But you can't wrong with Gooseberry, Tettegouche, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    If you're wanting the piney woods, the views, the big rivers than really anything between Gooseberry Falls State Park and Grand Marais is going to be an excellent SHT experience. South of Gooseberry Falls is going to be more of just the "green tunnel" which I love but others aren't real crazy about miles of miles of it. You get some hidden gems but for the most part when you think "Superior Hiking Trail" you want the areas north of Gooseberry Falls. As always have to mention, Shug has dozens and dozens of SHT videos highlighting many of the prime areas.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my SHT playlist to give you some quick ideas.......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zwwDh-P9J4-HoV
    I like the Cascade River area, any part around Finland, MN, Lutsen Area, Mt. Oberg Area.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    If I were you, and I'm not, I'd start at Beaver Bay or Silver Bay and hike north as far as you can in your 3 days and then plan to end close to where a shuttle (or hitch hiking vehicle) will bring you back south. You'll have a few amazing opportunities for places to stay on a lake, top of a "Mtn" or by some small rivers. Can't beat this section, unless you keep hiking north or back south or anywhere on the trail. Enjoy and report back when you decide or have concluded the hike.

Pro tip: Read a few of the google maps reviews to see if there are sites with lots or few trees.

Super Pro tip: Eat at Betty's Pies on your way home through Two Harbors and get the backpacker Wild Rice burger!!!
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." – Bilbo Baggins

The farther Northeast you go, the better it is. My recommendation would be from Lutsen to the Kadunce River, around 50 miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sht1976 View Post
    It's a bit of a drive but Lake Agnes / White Sky Rock area is my favorite. Or Split Rick river loop is really nice. But you can't wrong with Gooseberry, Tettegouche, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I don't think you can do the Split Rock River loop, there's a bridge out, so you have to go out and back.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Correct.

"Split Rock River Bridge on the Split Rock River Loop north of Two Harbors and we do not recommend trying to ford! Bridge is out indefinitely – we are raising money for the cause. You can still hike up either side of the loop, but you will have to return the way you came. Long-distance hikers can take spur trails to continue their hike through: Northbound, at junction with spur trail turn right (south-east) toward the Split Rock River Wayside. From the wayside, take paved trail to Hwy 61 underpass and turn left. After 0.2 miles, spur trail to main SHT is on left across Hwy 61. Follow spur trail 0.4 miles to junction with main SHT."
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    If limited to 3 days on the SHT my favorite section is Silver Lake North => through Tettagouche SP. It won't take a full three days but, I would consider this hike to be above average in physical challenge. I'd advise hiking poles and healthy knees.

Trail head parking at Silver lake is spacious and feels secure. The challenging climb out of Silver lake is rewarded with spectacular views of Bear and Bean lakes. This hike also includes a scenic panorama from atop Mount Trudee, and the opportunity to play among the rocks and waterfalls of the Baptism River. Don't leave Tettagouche without hiking out to Shovel Point.

Stopping at Gooseberry Falls is always on our agenda (Winter, Spring Summer or Fall). From Lake Superior shore to the top of the falls this is a spectacular park to amble through. We usually spend an hour or two here as our good-bye to the North Shore at the end of every trip "Up North".

Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by OCDave; 03-07-2018 at 19:15.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

I parked at beaver bay and took a shuttle to Finland (approx. 30 miles I think) in the fall of 2016. I completed in 3 days and really enjoyed the scenery and the challenge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast