WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Camper View Post
    When you say community cottage do you mean this sites buy and sell page? Or a different website?
    He means looking at the sub-forums under this header [Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services]. Lots of good options for someone thinking about moving on from their initial hammock. Good luck and try to get to the SprinterGiving Hang in April!
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Camper View Post

When you say community cottage do you mean this sites buy and sell page? Or a different website?
    You can buy used on the buy/sell forum, but I was referring to the vendors that are posted in the vendors section of the forum. Check out dutchware, dream hammock, warbonnet, etc. they all have simple gathered end hammocks at competitive prices that are much better then Eno. They also have much higher end premium hammocks also, so don’t get overwhelmed. If you want a wide check out Dutchwares net less hammock in wide Hexon 1.6. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...layer-option-1 A single layer should run $42

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Another thing to look at is fabric weight. Typically heavier fabrics offer a flatter lay.
    Oh good to know! Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    He means looking at the sub-forums under this header [Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services]. Lots of good options for someone thinking about moving on from their initial hammock. Good luck and try to get to the SprinterGiving Hang in April!
    OK thanks. I guess I should mess around on the site more to see where everything is. OK I will try to find the info on that. Hahaha I think I know where to look....
    Thanks

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    You can buy used on the buy/sell forum, but I was referring to the vendors that are posted in the vendors section of the forum. Check out dutchware, dream hammock, warbonnet, etc. they all have simple gathered end hammocks at competitive prices that are much better then Eno. They also have much higher end premium hammocks also, so don’t get overwhelmed. If you want a wide check out Dutchwares net less hammock in wide Hexon 1.6. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...layer-option-1 A single layer should run $42
    Thanks I will check out that link after I reply here. 42 dollars is perfect for my price range. OK now I see yeah i need to look around on here more and get use to the forums.
    If there are that many different qualities of hammock material I wonder at what cost point you pay for just the name. I haven't looked around so I have no idea but I should do a search for the most expensive hammock.
    P.s. Cool so that is the finished fabric all I really would need is a heavy clip and cord (heavy duty of coarse, just talking generic here) and i could be set. No sewing required?
    Last edited by Car Camper; 03-06-2018 at 23:32.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Modified HH HexFly
    Insulation
    Bubble Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie>Continuous

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Another thing to look at is fabric weight. Typically heavier fabrics offer a flatter lay.
    However, heavier fabrics do not necessarily equate to better lower back support. Too stiff and it's like laying on a table top, no support in the lower curve area at all. Of course I'm looking at this from the lighter end of the scale.

I've tried quite a few different fabrics and have settled on Robic 1.7XL for my nightly and car camping GE's, and Robic 1.2XL for backpacking. Both just happen to fill that void to cradle my lower back. It may sound odd but for bridges, Robic 1.7 is too firm while 1.2 is perfect, for me.

I have 4yds of Argon 1.6 on the shelf I intend to make a GE with, just have to get around to it. Hexon 1.6 has proven to be just a smidge too stiff and Hexon 1.0 is way too stretchy...for me.

For what it's worth, I prefer 60" wide x 11', but I'm 5'4".

I know it's already been mentioned, but RL lengths can have a signifcant impact on the lower back, once the correct fabric has been found.

The point is that those of us with finicky body parts have little choice but to keep experimenting till we find what works best for us. Embrace the hunt!

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Army_of_One View Post
    Thanks for the link. I am afraid it would be sewn wrong but it's nice to see how cheap it is.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    However, heavier fabrics do not necessarily equate to better lower back support. Too stiff and it's like laying on a table top, no support in the lower curve area at all. Of course I'm looking at this from the lighter end of the scale.

I've tried quite a few different fabrics and have settled on Robic 1.7XL for my nightly and car camping GE's, and Robic 1.2XL for backpacking. Both just happen to fill that void to cradle my lower back. It may sound odd but for bridges, Robic 1.7 is too firm while 1.2 is perfect, for me.

I have 4yds of Argon 1.6 on the shelf I intend to make a GE with, just have to get around to it. Hexon 1.6 has proven to be just a smidge too stiff and Hexon 1.0 is way too stretchy...for me.

For what it's worth, I prefer 60" wide x 11', but I'm 5'4".

I know it's already been mentioned, but RL lengths can have a signifcant impact on the lower back, once the correct fabric has been found.

The point is that those of us with finicky body parts have little choice but to keep experimenting till we find what works best for us. Embrace the hunt!
    Thats a good point I think everyone is a little different. I was wondering how thick is too thick. I guess I will have to try and see.
    Is there such a thing as "too long" of hammock? I mean reasonable length like 13 ft or 12 ft long? Most things including shoes I need to buy from somewhere special being so big. I should have known that 10ft would be a bit small. I'm wondering if I should just buy 12 ft hammock or 11 and a half foot hammock. After all my ridge line will help if it's a bit too large right?
    I see all these different widths and didn't know how wide I need to lay flat....that must be somewhat important for a taller guy I think. I guess things I figure out as I go.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My wife and I set out to find exactly what length would meet our minimum comfort level. I was expecting and hoping for 10' so we could also use a shorter tarp. Didn't turn out that way.

I made a 12' hammock and whipped one end at 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5 and full 12'. We each swapped spending a night at each length. Anything less than 11' was unacceptable for both of us, and we're 5'4" and 5'3". 11' also turned out to be the point of diminishing returns, for us. No harm in longer length but we found little benefit. Taller folks would probably like it though as well as a bit wider. I think that even taller folks though have adopted 11' as the defacto standard, reason is that you also have to consider tarp length and tree distances.

BTW, due to knee and back issues, I have to have a cushion under my knees, even in a bridge. This can help greatly with lower back pain, hyperextension and help eliminate any hint of calf ridge. It's a whole other avenue to explore with different shapes, widths, thickness, fabric, fill, and/or inflatables. Explore you shall...trust me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast