Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U

Back discomfort-too small of hammock??

I have a hobo hammock that is my main hammock and 10ft long by 6'6" wide. I am familiar with the proper way to lay I think and have a ridge line that I'm trying to get perfect. I usually sleep for about 3 hours wake up, shift, wake up in another 3 repeat.
    I'm 6'3" tall and slender and thinking maybe I'm to tall for this hammock. I tried looking it up and heard if your knees are sore it's too small. My knees aren't sore so much but my back is uncomfortable making me shift a bit.
    So far I only slept perfect once and that was before I got the ridge line. (I only used the ridge line once overnight and maybe 5 hours laying to try to find the perfect length.)
    Any way to figure out what is making my back sore while sleeping? I usually sleep on my back in my bed just like my hammock so that isn't it.
    Thanks!
    P.S. I know it's not Hobo hammocks fault. I just list it so you know the size. I like what the company does. The manufacturing quality of the hobo hammock is also good.
    Last edited by Car Camper; 03-04-2018 at 19:44.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    lots of folks will say that if you're over 5'8 you need to look at an 11 footer

everything is so personal though. when you say your back is sore, like lower back? shoulders?

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    lots of folks will say that if you're over 5'8 you need to look at an 11 footer

everything is so personal though. when you say your back is sore, like lower back? shoulders?
    It's lower back. OK thanks I was thinking that.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Length could definitely be a factor. The fabric can be an issue also. If you’re slender you may prefer a lighter and stretchier nylon, which could allow you back to be more fully supported. Im still on the heavier side, and prefer a less stretchy hammock.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Length could definitely be a factor. The fabric can be an issue also. If you’re slender you may prefer a lighter and stretchier nylon, which could allow you back to be more fully supported. Im still on the heavier side, and prefer a less stretchy hammock.
    OK yeah I might just go and buy a bigger hammock to see. That's an interesting point about the material. I never thought much about it. I looked it up to make sure I say it right the material is parachute nylon. So them is the nylon considered more of a light stretchy fabric? I'm thinking so...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Camper View Post
    OK yeah I might just go and buy a bigger hammock to see. That's an interesting point about the material. I never thought much about it. I looked it up to make sure I say it right the material is parachute nylon. So them is the nylon considered more of a light stretchy fabric? I'm thinking so...
    I can’t answer for certain. This is where side by side testing comes in. According to Hansen on the ultimate hang, the so called parachute nylon isn’t actual parachute nylon, but is some sort of 2-3 ounce nylon taffeta. He does say it has moderate stretch, but exact fabrics vary by manufacturer.

I would reccomend Dutch’s or ripstopbytheroll’s fabrics personally. I have hammocks in both 1.6 Hexon and 1.6 HyperD. The HyperD is noticeably stretchier. I prefer my Hexon. Im 5’11 and 225 right now. I’m dropping weight though, so I’ll be interested to see if I prefer the stretchier HyperD when I’m smaller.

If you’re over 180 I’d consider either of the above. If you’re under 180 you might try the 1.0 ounce fabrics. They’re very stretchy.

The best thing you could do, if you don’t want to buy 6 hammocks for testing, is find a group hang near you. People love to show off their hammocks, and will let you try them out. They’re also very knowledgeable about vendors and fabric choices.

Dutch sells simple gathered end hammocks in all of his fabrics that are very price competitive with the cheaper mass marker hammocks. I’d reccomend them any day over eno, etc... if you want a hammock made in the RSBTR fabrics many of the cottage vendors manufacture and sell them.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    I can’t answer for certain. This is where side by side testing comes in. According to Hansen on the ultimate hang, the so called parachute nylon isn’t actual parachute nylon, but is some sort of 2-3 ounce nylon taffeta. He does say it has moderate stretch, but exact fabrics vary by manufacturer.

I would reccomend Dutch’s or ripstopbytheroll’s fabrics personally. I have hammocks in both 1.6 Hexon and 1.6 HyperD. The HyperD is noticeably stretchier. I prefer my Hexon. Im 5’11 and 225 right now. I’m dropping weight though, so I’ll be interested to see if I prefer the stretchier HyperD when I’m smaller.

If you’re over 180 I’d consider either of the above. If you’re under 180 you might try the 1.0 ounce fabrics. They’re very stretchy.

The best thing you could do, if you don’t want to buy 6 hammocks for testing, is find a group hang near you. People love to show off their hammocks, and will let you try them out. They’re also very knowledgeable about vendors and fabric choices.

Dutch sells simple gathered end hammocks in all of his fabrics that are very price competitive with the cheaper mass marker hammocks. I’d reccomend them any day over eno, etc... if you want a hammock made in the RSBTR fabrics many of the cottage vendors manufacture and sell them.
    Yeah that's the thing is cost. I don't mind one hammock being around 50 or 60 dollars. I never purchased an ENO because I couldn't see spending around 100 plus. I am just saying ENO because when I researched buying hammocks (on amazon) that was always top rated.
    That would be really cool I want to meet up with the local group anyway so thats a great idea. I know who my local group is. I will be going soon if work allows it on the day.
    I'm the same weight as you so more stretch is probably better. As long as it holds me. Lol. Weight of gear is not a major factor to me since I'm more of a car camper as of now but cost, quality, and comfort are real important.
    Thanks I will check out what Dutch has to offer. I think I will wait to buy till I try some out. Then I will get an idea of it all.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I’d reccomend a net less dutchware in 1.6 hexon then. At 6’3” you may want to try a wide (mine is), but is has floppy side issues.

The advantage of buying from the community cottage vendors is resale. If you buy a dutchware, warbonnet, or similar, and aren’t happy with it, you can resell here it for close to what you paid, minus shipping costs.

I make a lot of my own gear. If you (or someone you know) have very basic sewing skills you can whip out a hammock for around $30, and a few hours of work. My first ones were from some super cheap fabric, to figure out what I was even doing. Just another option.

Group hang is your best bet, before spending money.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    I’d reccomend a net less dutchware in 1.6 hexon then. At 6’3” you may want to try a wide (mine is), but is has floppy side issues.

The advantage of buying from the community cottage vendors is resale. If you buy a dutchware, warbonnet, or similar, and aren’t happy with it, you can resell here it for close to what you paid, minus shipping costs.

I make a lot of my own gear. If you (or someone you know) have very basic sewing skills you can whip out a hammock for around $30, and a few hours of work. My first ones were from some super cheap fabric, to figure out what I was even doing. Just another option.

Group hang is your best bet, before spending money.
    Yeah I like the wider hammock. That's a good point.

My mom is the big sewer. Maybe I could have her help. I was just afraid if it is sewn wrong or off by a little bit that the sag will be weird. That's a good idea to use cheap fabric first. Maybe I will try that though. After I go on a hang. You can't beat that price if it's comfortable.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

When you say community cottage do you mean this sites buy and sell page? Or a different website?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dual
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another thing to look at is fabric weight. Typically heavier fabrics offer a flatter lay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast