11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

VA > 4th Annual Old Dominion Hangers Work and Hang - Twin Lakes State Park > May 4-6, 2018

Hey Folks!

It’s spring time and that means hang time for those who are smart enough to avoid the cold hanging months. Old Dominion Hangers is having our annual work and hang the weekend of May 4-6, 2018. CoreyR had traditionally planned this hang, but, unfortunately, he wasn’t able to do it this year. So RunningwithScissors and I are going to make it look like we know what we are doing! (Spoiler: we’re making it up as we go)

Being a work and hang, it’s a hang oriented around community service to give back to the parks a bit. In the past, we have done everything from build kayak and canoe racks to lay ADA compliant paths to trail work and brush clearing. This year, we will be at Twin Lakes State Park. The park needs help building some bluebird houses, hanging some bat boxes, and some trail maintenance. The work usually takes up a few hours Saturday, leaving plenty of time for hanging around, going for a hike, taking to the water or, most importantly, napping.

This is our first time going to this park. It’s a picturesque park with a lot to do.

So, the details:

When: May 4-6, 2018

Where: Twin Lakes State Park - It is approximately an hour outside Richmond.

The park is very hammock friendly. After surveying it this weekend (the wind was a buzzkill, but all for the cause!), the area we are being offered can easily hang 30-35 hammocks - more if you like your neighbor. It’s a great setup for families or couples who like to hang together. Each of the sites in our area has an electric and water hookup and, of course, a fire ring. We will be in the “group camping” portion of the campground, essentially their tent sites. The entire loop has been reserved for us in exchange for our help with some of the projects around the park. The park is also graciously allowing us to venture slightly into the surrounding woods for trees. The campground has plenty to do between trails, fishing, canoeing, yaking, and swimming. The main recreation area of the park also has a burger and dogs style concession facility adjacent to the swimming area (if you are so brave).

Facilities: The bathrooms are newer and extremely clean (and flushing ). There are 4 private unisex showers on the side of the bathhouse and a pot and dish rinsing sink on the outside back area.

Cell Coverage: Cell coverage rocks at this park. I had full bars on Verizon and Cristina had the same on T-Mobile.

Meals: Friday, Saturday lunch, and Sunday are on your own. For Saturday breakfast and Saturday dinner, we have traditionally done pot-luck style meals. The second tab of the sign-up sheet has meal planning. Typically, between breakfast and dinner, there’s never enough room for lunch anyway!

Weather: It’s Virginia in the spring. The weather can be anywhere from freezing to sweltering. Early May usually sees temperatures with highs around 70 and lows around 40. I have been assured by a trusted weather forecaster that temperatures for our hang will be a high of 68 with a light breeze and clear skies and a low of 55 with the breeze dying off at sunset (We can wish, right?). Also, it’ll be just a couple days after a full moon and the moon will be up all night….bring your darker tarps if you don’t like staring at a spotlight.

We are also open to suggestions. We have had silent auctions in the past with the proceeds being donated to the Friends of the Park. If people are open to an event like that again or maybe a gear swap, it can be arranged.

Last edited by Wanderlost; 03-05-2018 at 10:46.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    Am going to try to make this one. Have been wanting to get to a Virginia hang and Google says this is just 2 hours 11 min from Raleigh, NC. Building birdhouses sounds like fun.

I will see if I can arrange to make this one. (Talk to Jake and Jordan) The deets sound really cool and I’ve never been to Twin Lakes. Saturday will be Cinco de Mayo so bring on the Mexican food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish Comet View Post
    Am going to try to make this one. Have been wanting to get to a Virginia hang and Google says this is just 2 hours 11 min from Raleigh, NC. Building birdhouses sounds like fun.
    Hope you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I will see if I can arrange to make this one. (Talk to Jake and Jordan) The deets sound really cool and I’ve never been to Twin Lakes. Saturday will be Cinco de Mayo so bring on the Mexican food!
    Mexican food!? There's electrical outlets. I'm thinking the blender. Twin Lakers is nice and it's closer than James River was for pretty much everyone.
    73 de W4BKR

...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I will try and make this. I likey the fact that we have electricity. One caveat is that my daughter has her Spring concert and last one of the year on Sunday. If I come, it will most likely be only me. For the record, I have made some home made bluebird houses in the past. Will the park have tools, or do i need to bring my own? I am assuming, we can work Friday or Saturday or both days?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I will try and make this. I likey the fact that we have electricity. One caveat is that my daughter has her Spring concert and last one of the year on Sunday. If I come, it will most likely be only me. For the record, I have made some home made bluebird houses in the past. Will the park have tools, or do i need to bring my own? I am assuming, we can work Friday or Saturday or both days?
    The park will be providing all the necessary tools. The work portion is just going to be a few hours late morning/early afternoon on Saturday.
    73 de W4BKR

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Well done you two!
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
    Well done you two!
    They also have an RV spot adjacent to the group area....

Not saying. Just saying.
    73 de W4BKR

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    They also have an RV spot adjacent to the group area....

Not saying. Just saying.
    Yes, I've been told. Firmly.
    RV camping at a hammock hang......
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Usually the park provides everything you need but, if you have some tools you like, you are free to use anything except power tools. I doubt they would get worked up about cordless drills or something though.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast