HH Hyperlite, WBBB, Yukon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    EE, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock Gear Cuben Hex vs Standard w doors

Just looking for your thoughts, pros and cons to these two tarps. I currently have a 19oz full winter poly tarp and am going to upgrade. I do a handful of backpacking trips a year. I am either going to keep my winter tarp and go with the hex, or sell the winter tarp and go w the standard w doors. I want to try to get this right the first time so I can try to spare my wallet without wanting more tarps.

For the Hex -
    Anyone feel this one has NOT protected them in bad weather to stay dry or wish they opted for the better coverage from the standard? Any regrets or post thoughts?

Also... generally speaking... How is the dyneema for "privacy"? I have only used poly, but talking with people saying they can see the moon at night through dyneema... so I am thinking changing around a group of people might have to be done under the covers in my hammock.... yes? This is probably more of a question for the ladies of the group that understand where I am coming from. :-)

For the standard w doors.... Any qualms with this one? Doors cumbersome, etc etc? Its a bit more expensive to the tune of $65. Not sure if I am better off getting a good all-in-one or just buying the hex and keeping both tarps.

Finally - any post thoughts on camo vs green I should consider?

Decisions, Decisions....

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images

Hammock Gear Cuben Hex vs Standard w doors

My first cottage tarp was my winter 12’ with doors. Second was 11’ camo cuben hex. I bought a griz beak for it but I’m having issue with it not fitting so I would’ve opted for a 12’ hex bc of all the rain. I like a 12’ rather than mini doors or my beak. (For when it’s pouring) I have a few now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Benson Burner; 03-04-2018 at 11:44.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started with the Standard but upgraded to the Winter Palace - the Standard just didn't provide adequate coverage. Should be good for most trips if you already have a winter tarp. I personally don't care for camo - not much of a "you can't see me" person. Privacy-wise, you would have to have quite an imagination to see someone changing under a cuben fiber tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Zpacks CF hammock tarp w doors has served me very well and I was a rank amateur in all things hiking & camping when I started using this tarp. Sixty+ nights in all kinds of weather and I never got wet and had plenty of privacy. You’ll need sunglasses if hanging on a clear day. It’s bulky.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml

This Minifly will probably be a great hiking tarp. The split beak looks promising for weather protection and a degree of privacy. Packs small & is lightweight.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/minifly-tarp/

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I prefer to have the doors on the tarp. I don't always use or need them but when I do want them they are great to have. I started with the HG standard with doors and also upgraded to the winter palace due to not enough coverage. I have yet to get myself to get rid of the standard because I keep thinking it's lighter and I may need to save 2 ounces but I end up with the winter palace every time.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    IMG_20161112_101956627_HDR.jpg
    Here is my camo version.. doors tied back..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use the hammock gear CF with doors to hike the entire AT and love having the doors. The extra weight of the doors is more than justified when they keep wind and most importantly rain off the end of your hammock. I'm sure some folks on this forum can do both of these with a hex but the doors make it so much easier. I specifically remember one hammocker who used the hex getting the end of his hammock, top quilt and under quilt soaked due to blowing rain. He reads often and will likely comment. If I had to go out and buy a new tarp to do a long distance trail tomorrow it would be the CF with doors. I would sell the hex you can always roll or pull the doors back if you want extra ventilation.

As for privacy you can tell when someone is in the tarp and stray headlamps will light up the inside of the tarp but at the weight I found this acceptable. If you close the doors up and the tarp is set right you can probably change outside of the hammock. The doors are not cumbersome in the least bit. I used some tiny buckles and shock cord for my doors similar to adventure alan and it works great. It will be the best $65 dollars you spend tarp wise.

I wrote an article discussing how I rigged the tarp if you're interested.

https://thetrek.co/hammock-gear-tarp-rigging/

The last i checked the camo is heavier than the green so that made the choice for me.

I've used both extensively. Was NEVER under equipped with the 11ft hex and my xlc. Super light. Was my go to. When I moved one though I kept the one with doors because when you need doors, you need doors. Couple oz difference.

Ymmv.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, WBBB, Yukon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    EE, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all.... Extremely informative answers and learned a lot. Still not sure which I will go with. I can say ive rode out some pretty crazy storms in less than ideal tarps and still stayed mostly dry. I love having doors on my winter tarp. Maybe I will splurge and go for the doors again. Worst case, a couple ounces on my back and I tie them back. Appreciate it so much! :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast