Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone Zip 40°
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Keep in mind he's got the 20. I think almost anything with a quilt would be too hot at 80 degrees, venting or no, but I'd see what the company says.

Your budget is definitely adequate for a nice system, but keep in mind you'll need to have a suspension, bugnet, tarp, stakes, and a sleeping bag or top quilt by the time you're done.

What are the hottest and coldest nights you'd be camping in the thing? We can give you better advice if we know that.
    I have seen nights in the lower 80s down to upper 30s on various trips. These are Boy Scout camps that happen once a month with occasional 7 day trips. We do mostly car camping style camping not so much backpacking so not really gram counting. I am 5’ 10” 260lb. I have not heard back from them, it’s still the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 30Degrees View Post
    I have seen nights in the lower 80s down to upper 30s on various trips. These are Boy Scout camps that happen once a month with occasional 7 day trips. We do mostly car camping style camping not so much backpacking so not really gram counting. I am 5’ 10” 260lb. I have not heard back from them, it’s still the weekend.

Hey Michael! I've replied to your email but thought I'd paste my reply here for others to see. Thanks y'all for chiming in 👍...

I will always recommend that you have bottom insulation, even in the muggy summer nights in your area. But choosing one hammock to rule them all in that big of a temperature swing could be a little difficult....

However, I think the 40° Boone Zip model could work well for your needs.

Our Boone hammocks come with built in bottom insulation but the key to our system is that that Underquilt is adjustable; meaning you can snug it tight to get the full effects of the quilt, or loosen it to increase the air flow. You can even pull the bottom quilt all the way to one side, out from underneath you, to fully expose the backside of the hammock to get, sometimes, some much needed air flow.

Personally, I've spent several nights wrestling with adjusting traditional UQ's on sweltering summer nights. Where having nothing below me was too cold, and having it loosely installed was too warm. The insulation layer with the Boone Hammock is much larger than other UQ's and you are able to have a significant gap between the hammock and the quilt that seems to provide a good balance between keeping the chill off in otherwise warm nights, while also retaining good bug protection (because bugs will bite through even double layer hammocks).

On the other side of things, it's pretty easy to supplement a 40° Boone to be able to handle temps into the low 30's. Simply wearing more clothes to bed or zipping into a sleeping bag can help boost the UQ rating so that you're comfortable nights where its hovering around the freezing point.

I'm a big proponent of year-round bottom insulation in a hammock, simply because there is no better alternative. Sleeping bags alone just flat out don't work in most cases; Pads can work but take away from the comfort of a hammock; traditional UQ's work very well once they are installed correctly, and even then, you have to install in every time you set-up. Our Integrated hammocks make it easy to be comfortable in a wide variety of temperatures.

Thanks again and Happy Hammocking!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone Zip 40°
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    Hey Michael! I've replied to your email but thought I'd paste my reply here for others to see. Thanks y'all for chiming in ��...

I will always recommend that you have bottom insulation, even in the muggy summer nights in your area. But choosing one hammock to rule them all in that big of a temperature swing could be a little difficult....

However, I think the 40° Boone Zip model could work well for your needs.

Our Boone hammocks come with built in bottom insulation but the key to our system is that that Underquilt is adjustable; meaning you can snug it tight to get the full effects of the quilt, or loosen it to increase the air flow. You can even pull the bottom quilt all the way to one side, out from underneath you, to fully expose the backside of the hammock to get, sometimes, some much needed air flow.

Personally, I've spent several nights wrestling with adjusting traditional UQ's on sweltering summer nights. Where having nothing below me was too cold, and having it loosely installed was too warm. The insulation layer with the Boone Hammock is much larger than other UQ's and you are able to have a significant gap between the hammock and the quilt that seems to provide a good balance between keeping the chill off in otherwise warm nights, while also retaining good bug protection (because bugs will bite through even double layer hammocks).

On the other side of things, it's pretty easy to supplement a 40° Boone to be able to handle temps into the low 30's. Simply wearing more clothes to bed or zipping into a sleeping bag can help boost the UQ rating so that you're comfortable nights where its hovering around the freezing point.

I'm a big proponent of year-round bottom insulation in a hammock, simply because there is no better alternative. Sleeping bags alone just flat out don't work in most cases; Pads can work but take away from the comfort of a hammock; traditional UQ's work very well once they are installed correctly, and even then, you have to install in every time you set-up. Our Integrated hammocks make it easy to be comfortable in a wide variety of temperatures.

Thanks again and Happy Hammocking!
    Ah cool, I was going to ask you if it would have been good to post your reply

Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    Dutch Nylon D
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch
    late to the party here, but my Boone 20* rocks use it all year round. like alex said in warm weather i pull the quilt off to the side. wake up kind of cool and pull the quilt back under an back to sleep. i have had mine down to 6* too, if thats your kind of thing.

Hammock
    Dutch netless Robic 1.2 xl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE Enigma 30
    Suspension
    hammock anchor
    I just ordered a bug net from them, worked on a slight alteration of their stock design They were super responsive, quick and solid craftsmanship.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12