DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have not personally used Dynaweave 2.2, but Warbonnet demo for Becket suggests back-up.

But personal experience trumps theory. We all have to figure out what is and what ain't.

I experienced slippage with Venom and Myerstech.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have not personally used Dynaweave 2.2, but Warbonnet demo for Becket suggests back-up.

But personal experience trumps theory. We all have to figure out what is and what ain't.

I experienced slippage with Venom and Myerstech.
    My guess is the weave matters more than g/ft. Webbing with tighter/smoother weave will be more likely to slip. My white UHMWPE 2.4g/ft does not slip at all, but the weave is not nearly as tight as the 1.4 webbing from Myerstech. The texture is rougher- which probably allows the webbing to "grip" itself and the CLs better.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I totally agree on the UHMWPE webbing that Dutch sells, that stuff grips to itself like iron - if I were going to go becket full time that would be my webbing for sure, although I have yet to try the Kevlar stuff.

I like the knot and knowing it and use it for my ultra-light day hike hammock, but I just prefer cinch buckles for camp. It’s good to have options. In a pinch I had to tie my daughters hammock up with rope when she forgot her straps - knowing this kind of knot comes in super handy,

I also use what I think folks call the reef knot or hammock knot which I like better than they becket since no matter the strap, it has negligible slip.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I totally agree on the UHMWPE webbing that Dutch sells, that stuff grips to itself like iron - if I were going to go becket full time that would be my webbing for sure, although I have yet to try the Kevlar stuff.

I like the knot and knowing it and use it for my ultra-light day hike hammock, but I just prefer cinch buckles for camp. It’s good to have options. In a pinch I had to tie my daughters hammock up with rope when she forgot her straps - knowing this kind of knot comes in super handy,

I also use what I think folks call the reef knot or hammock knot which I like better than they becket since no matter the strap, it has negligible slip.
    If you ever run into a situation where nothing else seems to work, the J-Bend will. Amsteel-on-Amsteel even.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Did not trust it with spider 1.5 straps until I learned about adding an extra loop prior to the hitch. I've now swapped all my CLs for evo loops with or w/o the extra loops for releasing the gummed up dyneema straps. Most of the time I use whoopies for adjustment because I enjoy fiddlin' with them over iterative knot tying and I still prefer using the MSH over a beckett most of the time. I use only whoopies directly to evo loops at home and on my stand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not being a fan of hardware I use knots whenever I can and minimize hardware as much as possible. Some I've found useful are the marlin spike w toggle, the taut line hitch, the perfection loop, the bowline, and the trucker's hitch. Once you tie them a few times it becomes easy to remember but it does take practice. In my case it took a lot of practice but it's ingrained now.

Just curious- Is there a good illustration of most/all of the various suspension types floating around here/the net somewhere?

I started using marlin spikes and hammocks with whoopies. An easier to fine tune setup might be something I'd like to try at some point.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Just curious- Is there a good illustration of most/all of the various suspension types floating around here/the net somewhere?

I started using marlin spikes and hammocks with whoopies. An easier to fine tune setup might be something I'd like to try at some point.
    Google search camping hammock suspensions and a lot of info comes up. Check under Images.
    Also check The Ultimate Hang website or get the book.
    Also I did a series of suspensions that may give insights. Sorry, no illustrations.
    Suspension Series....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    My guess is the weave matters more than g/ft. Webbing with tighter/smoother weave will be more likely to slip. My white UHMWPE 2.4g/ft does not slip at all, but the weave is not nearly as tight as the 1.4 webbing from Myerstech. The texture is rougher- which probably allows the webbing to "grip" itself and the CLs better.
    I think this is correct... I've had the 1.9 Kevlar (smoother weave) slip in a situation (slipped cow hitch) where 3.3 was rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post

Although Ultimate Hang II has an assortment of the most popular, there are so many variations that nobody has got them all. For instance, UH2 doesn't have J-Bend or Lapp Hitch for hammock-to-CL, nor Timber hitch or slipped buntline (to tree), nor Evo loops, nor many of the friction knots used with no-hardware setups... to name just a few. And there's literally no end to the gizmological solutions, with more arriving every few months. And that's not a nit-pick on the book, just a fact... there are soooo many options!

I suppose somebody could painstakingly comb thru HF and find most of them but as far as I know there is no exhaustive compendium in one location.

And while I personally don't prefer whoopies, I think you'd have a hard time finding something that is easier to fine-tune.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-28-2020 at 07:36.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I am splitting hairs, or fibers, but I find the basic ucr easier than the whoopie. That said, while I have used both, they are somewhere in the back of the bottom draw in my gear closet... collecting dust.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast