Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    It is hard to beat the Becket hitch for simplicity and effectiveness, especially if you use a release loop to make releasing easier and less abrasive on the strap. A release loop is just a smaller loop on the top of the loop the Becket is tied to, or an integral loop on the likes of an evo loop, or the twisted knot loop I use.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    The primary downside for me is the initial slip that it often does when you get in the hammock. Each end drops a good half inch to several inches depending on how much you pulled when you tied it.

I will say that the only time that I’ve ever hit the ground from my hammock was when I was using a becket hitch - be sure to really yank on that thing when you set it up and also sit gently first time in the hammock which is not a bad idea in general. I still use it for my day hammock due to needing only a very lightweight and small strap, but I have buckles on my camping hammocks.
    Last edited by Tpatter; 10-24-2020 at 15:56.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really tried to like using a Beckett but missed the small adjustments I like to do with my whoopie slings.
    But we all have our preferences.
    Though I do like knowing the knot.
    Shug o' Whoop
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I really tried to like using a Beckett but missed the small adjustments I like to do with my whoopie slings.
    But we all have our preferences.
    Though I do like knowing the knot.
    Shug o' Whoop
    Yup. I watched your video 3 times then went to the park to practice. It’s pretty easy when you set it up like your video shows; the drawing in the books was too abstract for me! Got it on the first try, and the second, third and fourth tries needed to get the foot and head ends where I wanted them. I imagine this gets less cumbersome with practice/experience. I may roll dual system ( Beckett and Beetle Buckles) on the next trip to see how it goes.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    No reason. That's what I do
    Good to know. Thank you!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I larked an Evo loop onto my CL's and tie a beckett such that the big honkin' knot on the Evo loop is caught by the strap quite obviously.Also use a little pull loop for untying.Works great but one must ALWAYS remember to tug Tightly and set the the strap tightly so nothing slips when you sit down in the hammock lest you have a sudden let down.Don't ask!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ...because it doesn't feel natural.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    The primary downside for me is the initial slip that it often does when you get in the hammock. Each end drops a good half inch to several inches depending on how much you pulled when you tied it.

I will say that the only time that I’ve ever hit the ground from my hammock was when I was using a becket hitch - be sure to really yank on that thing when you set it up and also sit gently first time in the hammock which is not a bad idea in general. I still use it for my day hammock due to needing only a very lightweight and small strap, but I have buckles on my camping hammocks.

I use the Becket exclusively. It doesn't drop when I tie it. I have a diamond knot spliced about two inches down the CL to create both a stopper for the becket to sit against and a thumb loop to help release the set becket. I pull the strap through the CL below the diamond and pinch the strap against the diamond. Then tie the becket and pull it tight. It doesn't slide or drop at all.

I have never had a becket slip, slide or drop other than when testing Amsteel on Amsteel.

No doubt, after years of doing it this way, with countless trees, I kind-of have things on automatic when I tie them, and I don't stress of a ridge line that is smidge too tight or too loose.

You could tie your becket a half inch higher if you know it's going to slip, no?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I use the Becket exclusively. It doesn't drop when I tie it. I have a diamond knot spliced about two inches down the CL to create both a stopper for the becket to sit against and a thumb loop to help release the set becket. I pull the strap through the CL below the diamond and pinch the strap against the diamond. Then tie the becket and pull it tight. It doesn't slide or drop at all.

I have never had a becket slip, slide or drop other than when testing Amsteel on Amsteel.

No doubt, after years of doing it this way, with countless trees, I kind-of have things on automatic when I tie them, and I don't stress of a ridge line that is smidge too tight or too loose.

You could tie your becket a half inch higher if you know it's going to slip, no?
    Also can vary depending upon what webbing is being used. Tpatter's sidebar info says "Straps," and if those are some sort of UHMWPE such as Venom, Spider, Dynaweave or the like, they might very well be — likely, in fact! — slipping if tied without some extra wraps or a stopper knot, etc. We know from experience that this is not required with Kevlar.

Your recommendation to tie it with the hammock a bit higher (with knot farther up the strap) is spot-on. I always tie mine such that the whole rig at first seems a bit too high, but when I load it with full body weight it just seems to come out right after the knots settle and hammock material stretches a bit under a full load.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    From my experience, most UHMWPE webbing works great with the becket hitch. The only variants that have required additional wraps or a modified becket hitch are the ones in the sub-2g/ft range. Every UHMWPE webbing over 2g/ft. has worked great for me with no modifications to the standard hitch.

Also, as long as you snug the hitch upwards toward the apex of the CLs, the hammock stays where you tied it, and you'll avoid the 1-2in. of slip. I also "pre-load" the hitch by pulling downward on the CLs after tying the hitch. This also helps to eliminate any slippage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast