Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for info on how to stack quilts

Are they any hard and fast rules of stacking quilts? If so, would someone be willing to share that info?

Ive got a Hammock Gear Econ 10 Degree Burrow topquilt. Its paired with a Hammock Gear 10 Degree Incubator underquilt. Id like to take this system down to at least 0. Last weekend, at 26 degrees, my whole body was perfect, except for my extreme upper chest, specifically just my sternum area.

My bottom clothes were polypro wool socks, base layer polypro pants and polar fleece wading pants. Top layer consisted of 2 base layer polypro shirts, 1 midweight polypro shirt and one more mid weight terramar polypro shirt. Head area had buff headgear under a wool cap. On my hands, I wore finger less, wool gloves.

So I will add another layer or two to my top half. I dont have a down coat/parka, but do have a nice wool hoodie. If this doesnt work, Ill add a Costco style down throw, over my sternum, under my topquilt. I think the main issue may be there is just a touch, of too much dead air space, between my topquilt and my chest. I think there is just enough space that my body cant heat it.

If all the modifications listed above dont work, I am thinking of adding another topquilt, stacked. I noticed Shug does this in some of his videos. I just dont know what the rules parameters are for the most efficient way to go about the stacking process. It looks like you just slip one top quilt inside of the other. Is this correct? Any recommendations as to what temperature range topquilt I should use to to help my system reach the 0 mark?.

I know there is a lot of variable at play I am just looking for some advice. I will try the less expensive routes first ( modifications to my clothing system ) . If that doesnt work, Ill probably purchase another Hammock Gear Top Quilt. FWIW, I absolutely adore my Hammock Gear Quilts.

Thank you for any and all help.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 #5273
    Tarp
    HG Cuben+doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps
    Enlightened Equipment have a chart that tries to predict the results of layering quilts. You can start there.

I layer both my top and under quilts. The important thing to look for is that the outer quilt doesn't compress the down of the inner quilt. To help with this, my outer quilt is slightly wider than my inner quilt.

It is also suggested to use your lowest rated quilt as your inner quilt. A side advantage of doing this is that the outer quilt will likely be lighter and have less of a chance of compressing the inner.

Thank you x7456. Good ideas.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    The "rules" as I've always understood them is thus:

• Longer quilts to the inside because it's easier to fit a short quilt over a long quilt than vice versa
    • Down quilts inside of synethic quilts to mitigate condensation issues
    • Loosen up outer UQs to allow for loft of both quilts
    • Lower rated quilts closer to the body
    • non-footed topquilt and throws inside of TQs with footboxes (feetboxes?) to control them better
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Wanderlost more great info thank you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally don't wear all the clothing you do - I let the quilts do their job. The more clothes I layer on, the colder I am. Most of the time I'm just barefoot and naked.

I like to layer the lower rated quilts closest to the body, but some people do the exact opposite.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Like SilvrSurfr, I'm one to wear less rather than more so as to let the down quilts provide insulation for my body. Your extra layers are preventing your body's warmth from getting to the down insulation so your body is working overtime to stay warm. I wear one pair of wool socks, one baselayer (top & bottom), one pair of wool fingerless gloves, and whatever headgear I need to keep the noggin warm since it is sticking out of my TQ. Haven't tried my birthday layer yet, though.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 #5273
    Tarp
    HG Cuben+doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally don't wear all the clothing you do - I let the quilts do their job. The more clothes I layer on, the colder I am.
    I found this to be true with some types of clothes so beware. I got the best results wearing only form-fitting wool base layers and letting the quilts work like SilvrSurfr says.

The times I added a wool mid-layer over this, I couldn't get warm enough. Once I removed it, I got warm after 30 minutes.

This winter, I wore a down jacket over my usual wool base layer top and I stayed warm.

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I side in with Watertooner and SilvrSurf and their observation that you might be wearing too many layers. Four layers on your top side seem like it might be counter-productive, especially with two of them being polar base layers. Those two base layers should have been sufficient! In January we were out in -16F with 15-20 mph winds, and I was toasty with just a polar base layer and a second base layer. I did use a tarp with doors and the top cover to the Chameleon to block that wind.
    Next time try reducing the number of clothing layers and see if that makes a difference.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Looking for info on how to stack quilts

I think more layers of clothing can be warmer——sometimes it doesn’t work
    If you overheat a tiny bit and there is a little sweat on an inner layer next to skin—this can chill you for a long time.
    There can be another problem with multiple layers——if circulation is restricted fingers and toes can be cold.
    If you get too warm while sleeping just from top quilt—you might push it away or move a bit without waking and no sweat is trapped on skin.
    Good luck
    I’m mainly guessing and I guess a lot.

Shug, I know you right, Phantom cold....
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 02-27-2018 at 16:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast