Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Are they any hard and fast rules of stacking quilts? If so, would someone be willing to share that info?

Ive got a Hammock Gear Econ 10 Degree Burrow topquilt. Its paired with a Hammock Gear 10 Degree Incubator underquilt. Id like to take this system down to at least 0. Last weekend, at 26 degrees, my whole body was perfect, except for my extreme upper chest, specifically just my sternum area.
    How many hours were you sleeping before your chest got cold.?
    Could be what I call Phantom cold.....after 8 hours or so you just kinda feel cold in the chin to bellybutton area. Body is depleting its energy and burned off all the food and warm drinks and is just ready for some hot food and drink.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

How To Stack Quilts: The Quick Reference Guide

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9c10831891.jpg

https://support.enlightenedequipment...Quilt-Layering

(NB: Below freezing, I think the accuracy of these estimates starts to fall off; correct execution becomes more critical as the ambient temperature falls, and the cost of an error becomes much greater.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-27-2018 at 16:20.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Do y'all think the quilt stacking chart works the same with those who sleep in tents.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracebowen View Post
    Do y'all think the quilt stacking chart works the same with those who sleep in tents.
    I can't imagine it wouldn't; in fact, I think that chart originated from a non-hammock-specific source...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Thank you. I was just coming back to answer my own question☺️

I just read the link and it does come from a non hammock source.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    The "rules" as I've always understood them is thus:

• Longer quilts to the inside because it's easier to fit a short quilt over a long quilt than vice versa
    • Down quilts inside of synethic quilts to mitigate condensation issues
    • Loosen up outer UQs to allow for loft of both quilts
    • Lower rated quilts closer to the body
    • non-footed topquilt and throws inside of TQs with footboxes (feetboxes?) to control them better
    This is what do and it works! I had a zero HG against me and a twenty outboard of that on an eight degree night and was very warm. In fact I was too warm and had to vent. I usually sleep quite cold so stacking works. I also added a UQP To keep out wind.

As to clothes, I’ll echo if you get sweaty at all and don’t have the right fabrics you’ll soon be chilled and then cold. No cotton and mostly thin layers of synthetics or wool works for me.

Thanks all for the input everyone.

I didnt think of maybe wearing too much. I never raised a sweat.....but maybe I was not letting enough body heat out to heat up the topquilt. This could be what occurred. My body usually tolerates the cold very well. I am hardly ever cold whilst standing upright.

Shug.......it was right at 6 - 7 hours in. Maybe I shouldve ate a few squares off my Hershey bar when I first felt the chill.

Now..............Ive got some experimenting to do.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    I didn't think of maybe wearing too much. I never raised a sweat.....but maybe I was not letting enough body heat out to heat up the topquilt. This could be what occurred.
    There is nothing more counter-intuitive than taking OFF clothing when it's cold outside. The brain wants you to put on more clothing! I simply cannot wear socks when it's cold outside, though I really, really want to. The socks collect moisture and the moisture makes my feet cold. Whereas, if I go barefoot, my feet will dry out in 20 minutes or so. My down quilts do a great job of wicking the moisture away.

I've also tried down booties, but they just seem to collect moisture and make my feet cold.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Looking for info on how to stack quilts

1000 ways to stack underquilts. I have a full length 20 and a full length 0
    I put the 20 on first closest to hammock and the 0 on outside. Then I adjust 0 and 20 so they both lift empty hammock so that there is contact and less chance for air gaps. I know 20 is squashed and 0 is not squashed. Even squashed 20 gives some insulation and 0 gives full insulation with less chance of air gaps.
    When stacking underquilts of different sizes and insulation—-I can’t even guess.
    I think it’s important to absolutely not compress colder rated quilt and still have no gaps.
    The blind leading the blind——HYOH

For top quilts you can put one in other just as if you put on two socks. Or you can get in lowest rated top quilt and just have lesser rated top quilt floating inside like a blanket thrown inside and on top of you.
    Fwozen Phantom
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 02-27-2018 at 20:24.

Thanks again to all.

Ill try the simplest method first. I will wear less clothing and allow my escaping body heat, to warm the topquilt.

Ive camped, fished, hunted, snowmobiled, worked, skied and snow cave camped, in air temps, lower than minus 25 and with the subsequent wind chills in the minus 50 to minus 65 range. My clothing and layers, in those conditions, allowed me to be safe, warm and comfortable.

Ive got a lot to learn about this hammock, cold weather, sleep system puzzle though. I am absorbing all this input and I am grateful.

Be safe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast