Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far

So just how hard is it to work with silpoly anyway?

Howdy all,

Excited newbie here...finally got around to sewing up my kit hammock today! Hammock itself was pretty simple, but the stuff sack took three tries. Glad I didn't start with the stuff sack!

Now I'm starting to think about sewing a tarp. I still have a fantastic but heavy tarp from my BWCA days that I figure will work for cold weather use, so I am thinking of making something light for summer.

A lot of folks here have cautioned about silpoly being hard to work with. The machine I'm using has a walking foot, and the 1.6 hyper D was a breeze. Is the silpoly going to be significantly more of a pain?

Also, silpoly, silnylon, or "membrane silpoly?" I'm kind of liking the idea of a pre-cut kit from RBTR to continue building confidence, but heck with all of the videos you folks have put out, maybe cutting my own would be an option.

FirstDIYHammockSm.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeRing View Post
    Howdy all,

Excited newbie here...finally got around to sewing up my kit hammock today! Hammock itself was pretty simple, but the stuff sack took three tries. Glad I didn't start with the stuff sack!

Now I'm starting to think about sewing a tarp. I still have a fantastic but heavy tarp from my BWCA days that I figure will work for cold weather use, so I am thinking of making something light for summer.

A lot of folks here have cautioned about silpoly being hard to work with. The machine I'm using has a walking foot, and the 1.6 hyper D was a breeze. Is the silpoly going to be significantly more of a pain?

Also, silpoly, silnylon, or "membrane silpoly?" I'm kind of liking the idea of a pre-cut kit from RBTR to continue building confidence, but heck with all of the videos you folks have put out, maybe cutting my own would be an option.

FirstDIYHammockSm.jpg
    I made the RSBTR winter 12 last summer and didnt find the silpoly to be too difficult to work with. It is slippery and youll need to keep the two sides together when running your ridgeline, (clothespins worked for me) but it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It is definitely a different animal than 1.6oz HypderD. But it’s not bad or impossible to work with. It’s slippery yes so a large work surface helps to keep things under control. I have found a walking foot to help a lot. Setting up your machine is critical / thread tension for instance, I can also adjust presser foot pressure on my
    machine. I also have a single hole needle plate which helps to keep the silpoly moving along. It’s definitely a very do-able DIY project so don’t let it scare you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So much to explore, so little time!

Hogshop.ca

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Just use quilting clips every 12" or so and you will be fine, even without a walking foot; the easiest way to sabotage your tarp assembly is simply sewing too fast.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I made up a new tarp from 1.1 Silpoly and it isn't bad to work with or sew .. BUT ... it is slippery, masking tape for example just slides off. When it came time to roll an edge seam, it got a little tricky holding it in place, I ended up buying some two sided 1/4" basting tape and that eased the job a lot.

Something like this: https://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Dou...d-Basting-Tape

I just applied to the edge, removed the backing and folded over the edge ... the tape holds it nicely, and if you a double rolled hem, you have the base to just roll it once more and stitch away.

Brian

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    The extra wide silpoly is much easier to sew for some reason.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I've made two 1.1 silpoly tarps now. The first was a little more difficult due to my less than refined sewing skills and trying to sew too fast. Second went much more smoothly.

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Thanks, everyone, for the input!

I'm going to try it for sure. Good advice about not sewing too fast...I do tend to have a lead foot which can be seen in my slightly crooked seams.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeRing View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the input! I'm going to try it for sure. Good advice about not sewing too fast...I do tend to have a lead foot which can be seen in my slightly crooked seams.
    Practice makes perfect, friend. Just make lost of tarps and post pictures and reports of your experience here when you do so everyone can learn.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I made a quick little 9'x5' asym tarp from some scrap 1.1 silpoly I got from RSBTR. Just putting a rolled hem and 4 reinforcement patches had me sweating buckets by the time I was done. I've made a few stuffsacks since then from the material and I think I'm catching on better. Clips, clips, and more clips and about 2/3rds to 1/2 the speed I normally sew plain ripstop seemed to make things easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast