Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Looking for aluminum toggles

Several years ago I switched over to whoopie slings. The set came with an aluminium toggle that was about the length of my thumb. Loved the whoopies so much I converted all my hammocks to them. I was on a hike last spring and a buddy was using my loaner hammock. My dear friend left my straps and toggles on the tree after our last night. Of course we didn't realize this until after he returned the gear to me. He gave me some money to replace them but for the life of me, I can seem to find them. I have checked several hammock sites. Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so do you know where you can find the toggles? Several of the sites I have looked at have a "buckle suspension" which looks like a loop of cord with two D rings on it. I'm been off the forums for a while, is this the new thing? If so, does anyone have a link for a good video to show them in use?

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Several years ago I switched over to whoopie slings. The set came with an aluminium toggle that was about the length of my thumb. Loved the whoopies so much I converted all my hammocks to them. I was on a hike last spring and a buddy was using my loaner hammock. My dear friend left my straps and toggles on the tree after our last night. Of course we didn't realize this until after he returned the gear to me. He gave me some money to replace them but for the life of me, I can seem to find them. I have checked several hammock sites. Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so do you know where you can find the toggles? Several of the sites I have looked at have a "buckle suspension" which looks like a loop of cord with two D rings on it. I'm been off the forums for a while, is this the new thing? If so, does anyone have a link for a good video to show them in use?
    I may be wrong but it sounds like you used a marlin spike hitch and toggles? If so Dutch has titanium toggles here
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/titanium-toggles/

If you need the full suspension (toggles and straps) he’s got that too
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ma...ee-straps-pair

With regards to your question about rings - do you mean descender rings? Dutch has an alternative - the beetle buckle.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/be...uckle-hardware

There is a YouTube video on that page that shows how to hook them up, adjust, and attach your hammock.

I just got a set on Friday and played with them yesterday (albeit inside). Took a few tries to figure it out but I did and I’m encouraged by the adjustability I see. Can’t wait to use them outside.

(Sorry if I seem partial to Dutch’s gear...his shop is in my backyard so it’s easy to get there on lunch breaks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I believe Dutch Gear has some in titanium.
    Do you have a sporting goods store near you? If so, they might help. I have a Hunters/Archery store. I walked in and told them I'd like to purchase about 8, 2 to 3 inch long aluminum or carbon, cast off arrow shafts. He said "oh.....no problem. But we don't use aluminum...the hunters and target folks all use carbon....do you want me to order a few aluminums?". I said no. he pulled out the "trash" box FULL of short carbon fibre shafts and proceeded to MAKE me about 10! I reached for my bill fold and was told..."no....no need....saves me from throwing them away!".
    I took them home and used a Brad point drill bit and drilled thru the end of each. Threaded thru some like 1.0 zing it and tied a knot for my "I can find it/see it and pull it out of my marlen spike...". I loop that loop, thru the end of my UCR/Whoopie....so the toggle is attached to the UCR/Whoopie...

another trick I have. I have some ferro rods (fire starter).....one of those is also a "toggle"....I attached a loop, knot that onto my UCR/Whoopies (so I don't lose them).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Thanks folks, that is exactly the intel I am looking for!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Google ....dog bones sailing

If you like diy, the local hardware store should have some aluminium tube...cut to size, drill a hole in one end & attach cord.
    Last edited by ofuros; 02-25-2018 at 18:32.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I went to a local archery place they gave me a handful of old aluminum arrows. With a hacksaw I had all the toggles I could need. Nothing wrong with the Dutch alternate but thought I’d offer a free alternate.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went to WM and bought a discontinued $.75 aluminum arrow shaft and made a couple sets.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I use 1/2" PEX tubing....red.....HI-Viz..... very light and can be drilled easily to attach a loop of zing-it or amsteel to help in removal.
    suspension.jpg
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post

Super easy to DIY some alu toggles...

I'm going to link to this because the pic I uploaded ages ago is HUGE...

$0.99 aluminum shepherds hook stake from local sporting goods store... One stake = two toggles Drill a hole in each, chamfer it so it isn't sharp, tie a tether and you're good to go.

I've stopped using them... You want a pair?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    7-eleven aluminum slurpee straws work well after cutting to length.

• + New Posts