Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt APEX UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckle

Tarp Tie outs: Reflect it VS Zing it. Need help

Hey guys,
    I have a conundrum, I am putting together my tie outs on some Dutch hookworms and I am not sure which will hold up better. I like the reflect it due to not tripping in the middle of the night, but am unsure if it holds up over time. Do any of you have experience with both of these and can tell me witch one holds up better? I am putting this set up together for an AT thru-hike and need it to stand up to some serious wear and tear.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles

Tarp Tie outs: Reflect it VS Zing it. Need help

I have found Zingit and Lashit to be more durable with my hookworms. Recently I found a product that feels a lot like zingit with reflective tracers. I’ve only used the lines I made up with this stuff a couple times so the jury is out but at 1.8mm, it spliced really well. https://www.litesmith.com/catzye-ref...-hammock-line/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluzharp; 02-25-2018 at 08:25.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLegs View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a conundrum, I am putting together my tie outs on some Dutch hookworms and I am not sure which will hold up better. I like the reflect it due to not tripping in the middle of the night, but am unsure if it holds up over time. Do any of you have experience with both of these and can tell me witch one holds up better? I am putting this set up together for an AT thru-hike and need it to stand up to some serious wear and tear.

I've used Tarp Worms with Zingit for the past three seasons.. Love them, except in winter. Cold hands lack the dexterity needed to secure the zingit over the tarp worm. BTDT.

I've switched my winter tarp to mini-ucrs. Bullet proof over a few seasons. Use them on my CRL as well.

In any event, the reflect-it might resolve this issue.. not sure. My experience with cordage with a reflective tracer, is that the cordage is a bit stiffer..not quite Dutch Wire, but not really soft, as well used Zingit will soon be. The stiffness makes spinning the little loop needed to capture the worm a bit easier.

The Tarp Worms I am using use Z-Line from Z-Packs and are attached to the tarp with reflective shock cord.

I have enough bits of reflective cordage on my kit, that not having reflective guy lines is fine. There is shock cord at the tarp connection and reflective micro cord tethers on my ground stakes, so it's easy to cast a virtual connection between tarp and stake and know there is a guy line there.

Why use Hook Worms rather than Tarp Worms? On a thru hike, I don't think I would want the risk of losing stuff. Are you leaving your guy-lines attached to the stakes and clipping to the tarp when deploying it? I opt to leave the guy lines attached to the tarp. Never know what I am going to secure the guy line to.. tree, rock, root, slow moving hiking partner... but I do know it will always be attached to the other end to the tarp.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    I have found Zingit and Lashit to be more durable with my hookworms. Recently I found a product that feels a lot like zingit with reflective tracers. I’ve only used the lines I made up with this stuff a couple times so the jury is out but at 1.8mm, it spliced really well. https://www.litesmith.com/catzye-ref...-hammock-line/
    I have been using the Catzye Reflective on my DIY Tarp Worms since Litesmith introduced it.
    I have about 100 + setup/takedowns with it and no problems. I switched from Lash-it because of the reflectiveness of the Catyze. Great stuff and I have yet to have someone trip over my lines since the switch.

Cold is also not a problem for me with this set up.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    Help me out.. I can't decipher what's going on here... The triangle is throwing me off...
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Help me out.. I can't decipher what's going on here... The triangle is throwing me off...
    lol, I had the same thought, but it looks like a "sprung" arrangement with a pole under that tarp
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles

Why use Hook Worms rather than Tarp Worms? On a thru hike, I don't think I would want the risk of losing stuff. Are you leaving your guy-lines attached to the stakes and clipping to the tarp when deploying it? I opt to leave the guy lines attached to the tarp. Never know what I am going to secure the guy line to.. tree, rock, root, slow moving hiking partner... but I do know it will always be attached to the other end to the tarp.
    I opt to keep my lines on the stakes for many reasons. I can unhook one side of the tarp and hook the shock cord to the other stakes. I never lose stakes because they have a long line on them. I don’t have to wrap hardware into my snakeskins possibly damaging my tarp and usually having to untangle lines when setting up. And. As far as tying to branches, having a stake as a stopper you only have to make a few wraps. I also wrap line around a stick using the stake as a stopper to make deadfall snow stakes and leave enough tail end to poke out of the snow showing where the stake is buried.

That being said, I am not a thru hiker.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    lol, I had the same thought, but it looks like a "sprung" arrangement with a pole under that tarp
    Sorry, yes the poles and door ties do distort the perspective.
    Here is a larger view for context.

And a couple more, doors open and not attached.

Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    How much abuse do you give your tie-outs? You deploy, you sleep, you roll 'em up, right? I'd think almost any cord would last a couple hundred cycles for a through hike.

In terms of absolute durability, Zing/Lash-It for sure. In my experience, the reflective tracer in any cord always frays pretty quickly. Doesn't affect the function, but it gets a little "whiskery" within a few dozen cycles. But the cord itself should last much longer.

I tend to use reflect-it on my ridgeline so I can see my tarp with a headlamp from a distance, but I use Atwood micro cord for the tie-outs (glow-in-the-dark on one side because that glows even without a headlamp if I get up at night). My micro cord tie outs are going on a third season now with no signs of wear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
    I opt to keep my lines on the stakes for many reasons. I can unhook one side of the tarp and hook the shock cord to the other stakes. I never lose stakes because they have a long line on them. I don’t have to wrap hardware into my snakeskins possibly damaging my tarp and usually having to untangle lines when setting up. And. As far as tying to branches, having a stake as a stopper you only have to make a few wraps. I also wrap line around a stick using the stake as a stopper to make deadfall snow stakes and leave enough tail end to poke out of the snow showing where the stake is buried.
    That being said, I am not a thru hiker.
    Never tried leaving the cordage on the stakes... might have to do so at some point. I just figure-8 the lines before stuffing it in the sack. Only time I've had a tangle was in REALLY heavy wind when everything was flapping around. There are no sharp edges on the tarp worms so nothing there to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    ....I tend to use reflect-it on my ridgeline so I can see my tarp with a headlamp from a distance, but I use Atwood micro cord for the tie-outs (glow-in-the-dark on one side because that glows even without a headlamp if I get up at night). My micro cord tie outs are going on a third season now with no signs of wear.
    I have been using reflective Atwood micro cord for the doors on the Superfly, and micro cord is scattered all around my kit, but I didn't think it strong enough for the ground tie outs.

I'm [pleasantly] surprised to hear of your success.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast