Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I prefer the reflective cord because it keeps me from tripping over the tie-outs at night. The down side is that they twist or snarl up easier.
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt APEX UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Thanks for all the feed back guys, think I'm gonna stick to good ol' Zing it.
    P.S. this is the best Hiking community on the Interwebs. You guys are so friendly and helpful and full of experience that might save me from a cold and wet hang.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Welcome aboard CrazyLegs!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLegs View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back guys, think I'm gonna stick to good ol' Zing it.
    P.S. this is the best Hiking community on the Interwebs. You guys are so friendly and helpful and full of experience that might save me from a cold and wet hang.
    Zing-It will serve you well. No way it will show any wear over an AT thru-hike unless you put it through some kind of extreme stress.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I have been using reflective Atwood micro cord for the doors on the Superfly, and micro cord is scattered all around my kit, but I didn't think it strong enough for the ground tie outs.

I'm [pleasantly] surprised to hear of your success.
    Good Lord ... how much tension do you put on your ground tie-outs? Micro-cord is rated at 100 lbs. tensile strength and can probably hold more. In the few tests I've found, most people report tarps failing at between 50 lbs. and 75 lbs. of load on the tie-outs (here and here for instance). Even the mighty MSR Groundhog stakes have pullout strengths in medium soils of around 60 lbs. according to this guy. I've tripped over my micro-cord plenty of times and never broken it. But I also assume that if it ever came down to the limits, the cord might give way before my expensive tarp. I love Lash/Zing-It, but the micro cord takes up much less room in my stake bag, comes in a million varietiers for color, reflective, and even glow-in-the-dark, and is even available in Kevlar with a 200 lb. tensile strength, which I use for a continuous ridgeline once in a while. I'm a huge fan. It's all I've used for 3+ years now. Plus, I can use simple knots where needed and not waste time splicing tie-out cords. The 500 lb. tensile strength of 1/16" Zing/Lash-It just seems unnecessary to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I used ZingIt! for yrs and its great. You cant go wrong with it. I have switched to Reflect-It the last two years and its great. You cant go wrong with it.

I have seen VERY little difference in the durability of the Reflect-It. Some of the tracers might fall out but that is not a big deal. I bought 100' of it and outfitted my tarp with 50' and then kept the remaining 50' or so in my pack for emergencies. The stuff is nice and light.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLegs View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a conundrum, I am putting together my tie outs on some Dutch hookworms and I am not sure which will hold up better. I like the reflect it due to not tripping in the middle of the night, but am unsure if it holds up over time. Do any of you have experience with both of these and can tell me witch one holds up better? I am putting this set up together for an AT thru-hike and need it to stand up to some serious wear and tear.
    I started with Zing it and it worked well, but wanted reflective line to avoid tripping. I camp with the scouts at times and safety was important to me.
    The reflective cord line works just as well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Good Lord ... how much tension do you put on your ground tie-outs? Micro-cord is rated at 100 lbs. tensile strength and can probably hold more. In the few tests I've found, most people report tarps failing at between 50 lbs. and 75 lbs. of load on the tie-outs (here and here for instance). Even the mighty MSR Groundhog stakes have pullout strengths in medium soils of around 60 lbs. according to this guy. I've tripped over my micro-cord plenty of times and never broken it. But I also assume that if it ever came down to the limits, the cord might give way before my expensive tarp. I love Lash/Zing-It, but the micro cord takes up much less room in my stake bag, comes in a million varietiers for color, reflective, and even glow-in-the-dark, and is even available in Kevlar with a 200 lb. tensile strength, which I use for a continuous ridgeline once in a while. I'm a huge fan. It's all I've used for 3+ years now. Plus, I can use simple knots where needed and not waste time splicing tie-out cords. The 500 lb. tensile strength of 1/16" Zing/Lash-It just seems unnecessary to me.
    I guess I put about as much tension as anyone else... No idea how I would quantify it..

I had used micro cord during an experiment rigging a single line hammock/tarp suspension. I used micro cord for the ridge line, in tandem with a tarp worm, and it snapped. So I assumed it would do the same at the ground corners.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    i recently had some strong winds on a trip last weekend
    it pulled apart one ring on my superfly tarp ridge-line tie out
    and blew apart both rings on the tato stand
    brandon (warbonet) said they give way at about 100/110 psi
    i use lash it for the tie outs and ridgeline
    i am considering putting rings on all my tie outs as id rather the ring pull loose then to rip the tarp

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjackson View Post
    I started with Zing it and it worked well, but wanted reflective line to avoid tripping. I camp with the scouts at times and safety was important to me.
    The reflective cord line works just as well.
    i have some lawson line that reflects and it works well
    its a little stiffer and thicker so if using dutch bling one must pry open the flyz or whatever just a tad and then it works great

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast