Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    I'm curious how many universities have similar policies. I can certainly see why there may need to be limitations on hammocking on campus. I'm sure a lot of you have seen pictures of multiple stacked hammocks, and I would imagine that this would be something that would happen too frequently on college campuses. I would think that overnight hangs or "camp-outs" would also present problems. Given the potential safety and security issues, it seems that rather than "unwritten rules" universities would be wise to have official policies outlining acceptable and unacceptable hammock practices.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Seems that they would more than likely have you pack it up if you set up a tent as quickly as they would to ask you to remove your hammock.
    They more than likely are just covering their own interests.
    Maybe a hammock study group!

More often when I see my nephew 'mocking http://www.startribune.com/hammockin...not/316148751/ with friends they are having a social time and doing a wee bit of partying and hanging with their friends/girlfriends.
    Maybe the University sees it as a form of loitering and just hanging out which leads to...well, you know......I am speaking from my own college experience and not yours.
    Though it may not be possible for you to head to the woods every time you want to hammock; it is the reason I go into the woods to enjoy my comfort quest. No one to bother me there. Except maybe a rogue red squirrel.

Maybe try a portable hammock stand and see what happens.
    Stay with it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I work at a University where the average ACT score for incoming freshman averages 30 or above. We are a very high tech school with few discipline problems. We have students hanging hammocks all over our campus. That being said I do not know if we have written guidelines in our policy regarding it. However, our police force works under our Chief of Police who served at the pleasure of our University President. As Karla stated, a meeting could be requested with your president and a few of your hammocking friends who are articulate and respectful and have a discussion. To my knowledge, we have not had any hammock related accidents. I would also stress an understanding that some areas and anchor objects would understandably off limits and the "community" would self-police those who didn't exercise common (UNcommon) sense.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I see things from the point of view of hangers, and the university. The way to change their policy is to understand why they have those restrictions in place to begin with ( it may have been due to shenanigans of previous college student hangers having crazy parties damaging the vegtation, or stacking 10 hammocks high). In any case, previous posters made great suggestions. At the end of the day, you don't want to be Don Quixote tilting at windmills. Pick your battle wisely if you think this one is worth it. Otherwise, get out there in the piney woods like the Shugmeister. Another option is the Tato Gear hammock stand which harms no one, and can be set up just about anywhere the terrain is suitably flat, level, and firm. Your Uni may have a policy about loitering however, and be concerned of liability issues with loitering partying college kids.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Transfer. These are not your people.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Use the Force: "These are not the hammocks you are looking for"

Get a hammock stand and set it up right in the middle of everything.

Tim, 93JeepYJ

Where is your university located? The only thing I can recommend is to change college

Necro!

But, while we're here..

You do not always get your way in life. If this is something that hasn't been taught yet, then kudo's to your school for taking the initiative. Better late then never.

I think the best plan is simply to put up the hammock and sit without drawing attention to the interdiction.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast