Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Suspension
    straps

Question So my university doesn't allow hammocking... What should I do?

What's up y'all.

I'm a university student who loves hammocking outdoors for leisure, but there is an unwritten rule that hammocking is disallowed on my campus. It sucks. I had the campus security tell me to stop hammocking twice now with no explanation, and I'm sick of it. Other students share my opinion. We just don't see the issue that hammocking could possibly have on anybody. I actually think that hammocking could be beneficial to a student body. Besides writing emails to administrators and starting a big conversation about it, which I have already done, what do you all suggest I do?

many thanks!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Maybe its time to inform them that as a paying customer THEY work for YOU

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Easy solution...camo hammock.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    This is a sign that you should drop out. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Fight For Your Right

Transfer.

Short of that, fight the system.

You're in college purportedly to develop your agile intellect in an open-minded environment conducive to logic, reason, and new ideas. Like America itself, your university should have a moral imperative to provide a diverse mosaic of viewpoints mediated by common values of respect and tolerance. If you're not posing an unreasonable risk to yourself or others and not creating a deleterious impact on the environment or the experience of those around you, then your personal activity should be permitted, and your personal expression ought to be allowed to stand.

That said, if this is not your current experience, your own moral imperative is equally clear.

You may have to fight for your right to hammock. [Cue licensed Beastie Boys soundtrack]

Your mission must begin with understanding the values and perspectives of those who oppose you. Sun Tzu said (presumably in Mandarin)...

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    Your university may have a very different perspective on the situation, official or unspoken, rational or not, unified or equivocal. Regardless, it is incumbent upon you to find out what that is and how it came into being. Is there an official prohibition arising from liability issues on campus, or was your order to cease and desist merely an artifact of a couple of resentful security officers who didn't like seeing a lazy college kid hanging in the trees while they were hard at work? It's your job to find out and understand the origins and dimensions of your obstacle. Only then can you remove it or navigate around it.

To borrow from W.E.B. Du Bois:

Education among all kinds of men always has had, and always will have, an element of danger and revolution, of dissatisfaction and discontent.
    This is the 21st Century; you have myriad tools at your disposal to help you in your quest. Look up the relevant background information, and communicate with people to enlist help from like-minded allies. Get your opposition on record; it is much easier to find a weakness in the argument against you if its wording and reasoning are made concrete. Understand the letter of the laws that underpin your civil liberties and the historical precedents germane to them, and then devise a strategy to use them to your advantage. Start your own social media campaign to raise community awareness of this injustice and win hearts and minds, but be mindful of your own words and logic or risk exposing the same vulnerabilities you plan to exploit against your opposition.

Hammocks are a symbol of freedom, and freedom is always worth the fight.

No one said hanging in a hammock was going to be easy.

My question to you: Why are you still here when you have work to do?

Good luck...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-26-2018 at 22:17.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Get two hundred of your friends and have a hang in!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I ditto kitsapcowboy.

Also as a former college administrator, the rules against hammocking may not be unwritten. Colleges don't want any added liability if people get hurt.

Schedule a meeting with the Dean of Students to find out the exact rules. Then, if you want to fight contact the Student Government President.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewbie97 View Post
    What's up y'all.

I'm a university student who loves hammocking outdoors for leisure, but there is an unwritten rule that hammocking is disallowed on my campus. !
    Fascists.

I would question authority....
    Cant we all get along?....
    Where is my musket?

I would organize a hammock lay-in ... John and Yoko style.

jk....rules are rules...
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 02-25-2018 at 08:53.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If I was the college administration I would be concerned about the potential damage from the amount and long term use of hammocks on the campus vegetation. Seriously consider if this caught on and everyone became hammock crazy like the hordes of folks here abouts.

I would suggest a discussion with the admin on what their concerns are. It may be possible to mitigate those concerns. e.g. potable hammock stands and eventually semi-permanent hammock stands if warranted.

If it is a liability issue by the university, hang off campus. Life is short, pick your battles prudently (God knows I should follow my own advise). Besides, we know your real intent is to impress the pretty girls, or handsome boys, which ever the case may be, anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast