Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Tell them you identify as a hammocker and demand your rights

I think you need to organize a petition signed by many students, because of which the university administration will have to consider your request.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    if they had to make a rule, that means someone did something to cause them to make it... maybe trees were damaged, maybe someone got hurt, maybe it's just insurance liability

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CristopherMay View Post
    I think you need to organize a petition signed by many students, because of which the university administration will have to consider your request.

Or try to prove your rights through the courts, but that's a dangerous idea. Because every university has a statute that every student has to follow. When I received my bachelor psychology degree, I read the statutes of my college carefully because I wanted to know what the restrictions were. Thanks to this, I was able to avoid some problems.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    You are learning a valuable lesson that will benefit you for the rest of your life. It's probably as valuable as some of the college courses you are taking. The lesson: Sometimes there are rules that you don't understand. Whoever makes the rules did it for some reason. You will probably never be able to find out why the rules were made, or get them to change the rules, because the rule makers are not accessible to you. The cops enforce the rules. You can either obey the rules which is the least difficult thing to do. Or you can disobey the rules which will cost you a lot. Or you can try to change the rules, which will take a lot of effort and probably won't be successful anyway. Or you can take a different approach and avoid the situation in the first place. In your case maybe that's to take your hammock and go somewhere that has no rules about it.
    Good luck and have fun.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    show them pics of hammocks deployed at other universities - they pretty much use pics like these to make the rules, but then they eventually have to compete so that the pics used to justify the rules can still be used against them.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Sounds like a PH.D. dissertation in biological science. Set up and test what actual damage to trees hammock use can do or does not do. Set limits on strap width, tree type tables, etc.

You could create the Dewbie97 equation for hammock hanging and be immortalized with Plank, Reynolds, Watt, Fibonacci, and Euler.

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters
    Tarp
    Madera Outdoors
    Insulation
    Jack R Better
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewbie97 View Post
    I'm a university student who loves hammocking outdoors for leisure, but there is an unwritten rule that hammocking is disallowed on my campus. It sucks. I had the campus security tell me to stop hammocking twice now with no explanation, and I'm sick of it. Other students share my opinion. We just don't see the issue that hammocking could possibly have on anybody. I actually think that hammocking could be beneficial to a student body. Besides writing emails to administrators and starting a big conversation about it, which I have already done, what do you all suggest I do?
    So, just a few things here.
    1. If it is an unwritten rule, then it is also an unenforceable rule.
    2. Ask security to show you the rule that states "No Hammocking Allowed On Campus". (This goes back to number 1)
    3. As to it not hurting anyone, that may be true; however, the damage that can result from people hanging without proper techniques like tree huggers, can/does/has hurt trees. This will probably be one of the reasons that the university gives and will be reasons they will right a rule and have security enforce said rule.

Now, you said that you are already working with administrators. That is going to be the best place to start. And don't be disrespectful about it. A little respect goes a long ways in achieving what you, as a student, can accomplish. Suggest things like maybe hammock stands around campus, having instructional classes on proper hanging techniques, handing out flyers and pamphlets about how to properly hang. In addition, the university may want to have signage around areas close to trees about how to make sure the trees do not sustain damage. Again, these are all just ideas on how you can present real solutions to your university.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewbie97 View Post
    So my university doesn't allow hammocking... What should I do?
    Transfer?

Seriously, I wish you could, but I don't think you can win this fight. The problem on a campus or in a park is that you can never hope to educate everyone and there will always be people that end up doing harm. Imagine the difficulty campus police would have in enforcing a set of hanging rules case by case. They would not be happy.

I wish this wasn't reality, at least as I see it.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-22-2022 at 17:37.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get the Alumni Association on it. They kick in lots of moola. Get the hammocks with the university logo and colors on them. Teach a proper hang workshop. Let the U know that you will study more in the hammock. Don’t party in the hammock. If that is the goal then go to a park or to the woods.
    Set a good hang example.
    More than likely someone did something stupid in one on campus or got injured.
    Offer those in charge to try your hammock.
    Good luck to all you young academia.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast