Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Personally I would "I would pick a better hill to die on".You will learn to pick your battles in life that are worth fighting.Is this one really worth it when you can go off campus and camp/hang the same as every one else?Consider the university's position-they just don't need the liability and hassle involved with potential accidents and litigation;that's the prism they are looking through.

I agree with asking them if they would be willing to let you install posts on which to hang hammocks. If so you may be able to work with a fraternity to do fundraiser and get them installed. You could also see if a scout may want to do it as an Eagle Project.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Florida state parks were until somewhat recently "no hang zones". There was a rule on the books from something like the 1920s that prevented anything being hung on any tree (clothes line, lantern hanger, etc. ) as it was some sort of harassment to the plant.

Our very own Samsara just happend to work for the state and love hammocks so he poked a bunch of the right buttons and got a petition circulated. We won that fight but it started with some compromises. The trees are supposed to be at least 12" in diameter at head hight (big, mature trees) along with 2" wide straps for both the hammock and tarp. That has since been relaxed I believe to 1" straps. Some parks also installed some monster timbers where there weren't sufficient trees.

All told though, this required a lot of effort and education on the part of the local hammock community. I hate to say it but likely you're a victim of your local hammocking kin. Every hanger than heads to walmart and strings up a cheap parachute hammock from some thin rope sends the wrong message. Or worse yet is hanging in inappropriate locations (across sidewalks, on small saplings, etc.) and of course this is probably the image that has stuck with the campus administrators. It's going to take some education of your peers and some serious convincing of the administration if you want to hang, and probably only in designated locations.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Post the name of the University and ask forum members to send informed letters/e-mails on the topic. If the university has a written policy on hammocks, post that as well. Unwritten rules are pretty much a losing proposition for any organization - if they don't have a written policy make them get a written policy so people can then respond to the policy.

My children's school decided to go after my kids for a certain breach of "unwritten" rules, but the school was not aware of the legal ramifications of going after my children. I had to hire an attorney and once they realized the can of worms they were opening, they backed off. It only cost me about $4K to get them to leave me and my children alone!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-27-2018 at 21:06.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Post the name of the University and ask forum members to send informed letters/e-mails on the topic. If the university has a written policy on hammocks, post that as well. Unwritten rules are pretty much a losing proposition for any organization - if they don't have a written policy make them get a written policy so people can then respond to the policy.

My children's school decided to go after my kids for a certain breach of "unwritten" rules, but the school was not aware of the legal ramifications of going after my children. I had to hire an attorney and once they realized the can of worms they were opening, they backed off. It only cost me about $4K to get them to leave me and my children alone!
    Another good reason to homeschool.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Talk to your student government association and your student rec center. I worked with both entities at two universities as well as a local summer camp and a local city park to get these hammock stations built. Due to the overwhelming positive response, one university has since built two more hammock parks and the other university has two more in the planning stages. "Hang" in there!

Geaux hammock park kiroli.jpg

Geaux hammock park ch yo ca.jpg

Geaux hammock park la tech.jpg

Geaux hammock park ulm.jpg
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Transfer to the University of Florida, the capital of college hammocking. GO GATORS!!!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    Transfer to the University of Florida, the capital of college hammocking. GO GATORS!!!
    But then you’d be at University of Florida! Geaux Tigers!

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    But then you’d be at University of Florida! Geaux Tigers!
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Friends don't let friends "hang" with Gators