Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Xenon Sil 5300 Durability?

Is your Xenon Sil 5300 waterproof poly fabric rated/recommended for * SHUDDER * ground contact applications?

Would you consider it appropriate for the bottom of a bivvy bag or the bathtub floor of a tent?

(I am assuming the nice matte side would be up and the heavily coated underside would be in contact with the ground.)

Thanks for letting me know...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/xenon-sil-5300/

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    A couple things on this since I did a LOT of MYOG before moving to hammocks.
    1) 15D polyester, IMO, would only be suitable for ground if you used a ground cloth. While I've never worked with the above fabric, I have a lot of use with Membrane Silpoly PU4000 from RSBTR and it's also 15D. Ground sheets are a strong debate but the last DCF shelter I made before moving to the trees had a 20D floor (1.1 Silpoly PU4000) and I used it without a ground sheet with no issues at all. BTW, my idea of a ground sheet is a cut piece of polycro, just so you have some context.
    2) The PU coated side works best inside. This should be the "shiny" side but again, I've never handled this specific material. The reasons for this are: any taped seams will have the tape on the inside of the shelter so the tape will be away from the elements, and the PU coating is more tacky than the Sil side so it provides you with more traction and less sliding of your air mat.

I've made a couple tarps with this material. I can't recall much a difference between the sides(shiny/dull). Very durable and low stretch, no ripstop grid.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    With the 5300 I believe the sides are the same. Its a tough fabric.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    At 1.35 ounce per square yard, it is right about the same as most sil nylons. However it has an incredible waterproof rating. I was happily surprised at the waterproof rating when we got it tested. So i would use it for a floor for a tent although it is sil on both side so don't dance in your socks. I was really thinking though it would be a great "never wanna get wet" tarp and winter tarps. It is a little more heavy duty than our standard. That 15 denier was a incorrect. It is a 20 denier polyester. I am editing that now. For some reason it is much more popular with the tent makers on BPL than the tarp makers here.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    To quote the Man himself: "Thank you, everybody..."
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    At 1.35 ounce per square yard, it is right about the same as most sil nylons. However it has an incredible waterproof rating. I was happily surprised at the waterproof rating when we got it tested. So i would use it for a floor for a tent although it is sil on both side so don't dance in your socks. I was really thinking though it would be a great "never wanna get wet" tarp and winter tarps. It is a little more heavy duty than our standard. That 15 denier was a incorrect. It is a 20 denier polyester. I am editing that now. For some reason it is much more popular with the tent makers on BPL than the tarp makers here.
    Well there you go. A 20D material with that high of a HH would make it probably the best floor material on the market IMO. You will need to use silicone to seal any seam since it doesn't have a PU coating (I misunderstood on that aspect) but that's fine. Glad you asked this because now knowing that this material is available as a 20D makes me quite excited since a family tent is in my near future.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    SLD WH/DW xenon
    Insulation
    SLD Climashield 6
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I am newer to the Tarp materials game, With this not having a ripstop grid is it more susceptible to rips and punctures then the Xenon 1.1? I want an extremely waterproof and fairly durable material to have Simply Light Designs make me a 4 season tarp out of!

• + New Posts