Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I've been lurking and following this thread, as I was looking for my first TQ. There are lots of opinions and good ideas in this thread, thanks. In the end I couldn't decide which one to get for sure, so I got the JRB Sierra Snivller. To me, it seemed to be the best of both worlds. Hook and loop re-sealable and snaps to create the footbox, or leave it all unattached if you like.

Time will tell.

I'm a sewn footbox guy. I can always stick out a foot or drape the quilt over me in the hammock, but it's a lot harder to get warmer when you want it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20°
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    After reading everyone's comments, I will be getting the sewn box. Thanks to everybody for the replies and info.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    For a 20*, I have a sewn. I figure if it's that cold, I'm not going to want to open it up because my feet/toes don't get too hot in cold temps. But for my 40*, it has snaps, so I can open it up. Plenty of times in milder temps, I like to use it like a quilt and kick a leg out.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Packhiker View Post
    I’ve really enjoyed opening my snap quilts this winter when in a traditional bed, which is 99% of the time. I need extra covers, my husband doesn’t, so an open TQ is a perfect solution.

The problem? A sewn quilt is much more comfortable in a hammock. It feels so nice not to have the blamed string getting entangled with my legs. The snaps are less problematic but I’d rather not feel them at all.

Tough call.
    This is a good point I hadn't thought too much about-- having that shock cord & cord lock down there definitely is an annoyance.

Great thread-- lots of good input. I was going to order a 0* quilt with snaps, but this thread has made me realize that I never sleep with my existing quilts' footbox unsnapped / unzipped. I mostly just like the *idea* of being able to open it up like a blanket (which is the *idea* of versatility). In practice, my quilts tend to get away from me during the night (especially my lower half) if I don't have my feet in the footbox anchoring them-- I think part of this is just how slippery these fabrics are.

There's even a temperature range (60s mostly) in which I'll sleep using a NEMO Puffin blanket which has a few buttons to fold the bottom section up into a sort of foot box, and I tend to keep that buttoned all the time too when sleeping (granted this is way less "sealed" than a buttoned / zipped up, cinched tight footbox would be-- but it's more the "how" I use it than it is temperature regulation I guess). Sorta like having your feet tucked in, I guess, to again help with the slippery material of the blanket.

Hammock
    Nemo
    Tarp
    rectangular tarp
    You can get a traditional sewing basket at Wal Mart from about $20 (maybe a little more), more if you go to a fabric store or some craft stores, but they do have those % off coupons.

I personally find that I use certain things about 90% of the time. If you want function at a low price I would look into getting a clear plastic box with either a hinged or snap on lid, with a handle. I have seen these at Wal Mart on the same lane as the Rubbermaid and Sterilite totes. I believe you could get one in a comparable size to a sewing basket for under $10. You might even consider getting a few smaller containers to go inside that could hold small items like pins, needles, buttons, thread, & bobbins.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I have all snap/drawcord foot boxes except for one and I much prefer the sewn foot box. I have never opened them up like I imagined I would and I hate when my heel is resting on a snap.

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Really enjoy reading these threads, learning something new almost every day.
    For top quilts, for me, modularity is an absolute. Of my 3 Hammock Gear Burrows SO FAR , they are all snap versions. 20, 40, 50. Having the ability to choose is invaluable to me. I’ve been able to use each of my top quilts in both snapped / open options. On a particular night in Frebruary 2018, up in the Frazier Mountains, the low got to 9.9’. Inside of the Blackbird XLC sock system, the Burrow 20’s footbox was snapped and drawn closed with a soft beanie secured in the hole at the end. It was perfectly comfortable, worked very well. But that very same top quilt has been laid over me at 40’ in the open configuration, also perfect.
    Perhaps the snapped / zipper versions can allow a person to use 1 quilt for more temps than a sewn one?
    To each their own on this topic, there is no wrong answer, whichever helps make you comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234