Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Re: the socks. I keep a dedicated pair of wool socks in my sleeping bag kit just for sleeping (Darn Tough merino 1/4s). Not a good idea to wear the day use socks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 #5273
    Tarp
    HG Cuben+doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    The few tentatives I made, I had the impression that wearing my down pants and parka, I could not warm up my topquilt enough for my feet to stay warm
    I had the same fear before I tried recently and my down jacket did not prevent my two top quilts from getting warm. That was at -12C (10.4F).

I probably didn't need to wear the down jacket at all actually. I was inexperienced and impatient. It took about 40 minutes for my body heat to really warm up the quilts. Before that, I was afraid I had not set up the underquilts properly but it was not so. I just had to be a little patient.

It also helped to cinch the topquilts at the shoulder. It made it easier to tuck the quilts around my body and seal any drafts.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, I do it all the time.

It's one of the best ways to reduce pack weight and gear volume in the winter. I use a 0°F (-17.7°C) HG Incubator UQ paired with an EE Enigma +20°F TQ for temperatures down to a few degrees below zero (coldest this winter has been 4°F) combined with an Eddie Bauer down parka (with hood!) and Montbell TEC down pants and am fine.

Been doing this for many years, even as a ground dweller, of course using a carefully chosen air mat (Xtherm) and 3/8" closed-cell foam pad instead of UQ.

Keeping pack weight low in the winter is a bit of an art and it requires a lot of experimentation to discover what works for you.
    Same!
    Saves in every way, pack volume reduction, weight reduction, good layering factor, no cold spots, or CBS. Works very well. And when getting up at night, total warmth is maintained.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    When temps drop below the 40s I wear my down jacket all the time, however I wear it backwards and keep the back open, lt puts more down over your chest area and helps keep you warmer, you'd be squishing it laying on in anyways and +1on the heavy wool socks for sleeping in.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12