Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images

REI Quarter Dome Air - Second Review

Its been about 9 months since I bought the REI hammock and posted a review here (see https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Hammock-Review). I have had it out quite a bit since then, including last night in the Olympic Mountains. So I thought I would provide a brief second review after a more though testing period.

The Pros:
    • I find the hammock to be very comfortable. I am 6' 1" and about 190 lbs. I also have a Blackbird and a Traveler, but find this hammock much more comfortable to sleep in. I have heard several people complain about the narrowness of the REI hammock, but it has not been an issue for me, maybe because it's the only bridge I have ever been in. Outside of the first time I crawled into it I have not used a pad, using an UQ instead. I spend some time on my back, but more often I am curled up on one side or the other.
    • It is easy to set up and take down. All of the fittings work well and are easy to use.
    • I have been able to modify the suspension on my Hammock Gear UQ's to fasten up under the hammock. And I get a much better seal than I ever managed to obtain with the Blackbird.
    • I really like it

The Cons:
    • The tarp. I have gotten by with the stock tarp until last night. While it is small, it does work OK so long as there is little wind. But last night it was snowing and the wind was blowing. It was not fun. I enjoyed the trip, but a tarp with better coverage would have averted near disaster. Open to any suggestions there.
    • The suspension. I think the stock suspension is probably OK so long as you are dealing with small trees that are spaced correctly. However that seldom happens with the big Douglas Firs in the Olympics. I have replaced the whoopie sling / strap combination with the tree huggers from my Blackbird along with some Dutch Hook thingy's. That works much better.
    • Not a big deal, but it could use some additional storage inside. The two pockets are good, but if you hang anything from the interior loops it pulls the fly screen down onto your head.
    • I bought the REI UQ for the hammock, and it is well built and easy to attach. But there is not a lot to it. They say it is good down to 30 degrees, but that is hard to imagine. I use it just to supplement my winter quilt.
    Last edited by OldMan; 02-24-2018 at 16:37.

And, on sale, now.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    The Pros:
    • [*... I have heard several people complain about the narrowness of the REI hammock, but it has not been an issue for me, maybe because it's the only bridge I have ever been in. Outside of the first time I crawled into it I have not used a pad, using an UQ instead. I spend some time on my back, but more often I am curled up on one side or the other...
    Personally, I found even the WBRR to be too narrow for comfortable side sleeping and excessive shoulder squeeze. I ended up abandoning it for the vastly more comfortable ninety degree hammocks: Hammocktent Gamma UL, Beta, and the Exped Ergo. Can't say about the phatty bridge hammocks though, as I haven't tried one.

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    Fantastic. Thanks a ton for the update. I think this is the way I’m going to go. I would definitely love to get back to hanging and the thought of finally being able to sleep on my side is extremely tempting. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us informed!
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Fantastic. Thanks a ton for the update. I think this is the way I’m going to go. I would definitely love to get back to hanging and the thought of finally being able to sleep on my side is extremely tempting. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us informed!
    My pleasure

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Personally, I found even the WBRR to be too narrow for comfortable side sleeping and excessive shoulder squeeze. I ended up abandoning it for the vastly more comfortable ninety degree hammocks: Hammocktent Gamma UL, Beta, and the Exped Ergo. Can't say about the phatty bridge hammocks though, as I haven't tried one.
    If you though the RR had excessive shoulder squeeze you really wouldn't like the Air. It's significantly tighter. It's not a deal breaker but I like the additional room of the RR.

Thanks for the review , going to pick mine up this Saturday at REI , got the REI underquilt with it too.
    Would you still recommend that I buy a wide insulated pad too ??
    BTW underquilt was on sale for 69.00 and got the hammock for 154.00 . will get a bigger tarp down the road.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I was impressed that everything you needed to hang was included right out of the bag. All straps, tarp, lines and stakes. For someone that wants to get into hammocks this would be a good start.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    If you though the RR had excessive shoulder squeeze you really wouldn't like the Air. It's significantly tighter.
    I got to try the REI and yes, it's very shoulder squeezy

• + New Posts