DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Let's not forget to add frogs to the noise list, and, if you're very unlucky, cicadas... which make an incredible amount of noise.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    I like the frogs and cicadas.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a light sleeper with a keen sense of hearing - I can hear everything while I'm sleeping, even field mice underneath my hammock. The only animal that has ever snuck up on me was a deer - he got right under my tarp! I've had skunks, raccoons, squirrels, and a possum under my tarp, but I knew they were there. That deer was quiet, though. I never heard a thing. When I woke up and saw the fresh deer tracks, underneath the tarp, I was a bit shocked. They are stealthy animals!

Best night I ever had was in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon - we were camping at the top of the mountain, and I could hear four or five owls coming up the mountain. It took them several hours, but they arrived in our campsite about five in the morning and made a helluva lot of noise with their hooting. It was a wonder to behold (or hear, as the case may be).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Let's not forget to add frogs to the noise list, and, if you're very unlucky, cicadas... which make an incredible amount of noise.
    Also foxes. If you think a tortured demon has spawned in the woods near you, fear not. It's probably just a fox.

(I've come close to some embarrassing, involuntary physical reactions to foxes making their horrible noises nearby.)

As to the frogs, does anyone else find the sound of frogs to be soothing? I love how their sound seems to be centered in the midrange of the audio spectrum where it's not harsh even when it's loud. Not unlike the sound of a really nice theater sound system. Is that just me?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’ve been soloing for a while and there are still nights the noises awake me up. I just try to embrace it and enjoy being part of nature. And even if I’m up a few times, I still feel fresh in the morning so I don’t let it bother me.

This last trip I had a new sleeping bag and tarp. I swear I was up every 90 minutes hearing something because my brain was saying something sounded different. I’d wake up conscious that it was most likely my imagination (after a good sweep with the flashlight to make sure) and tried to convince my primal brain things were fine. I’m sure it’ll eventually get better as I get used to the new normal sounds.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I’ve been soloing for a while and there are still nights the noises awake me up. I just try to embrace it and enjoy being part of nature. And even if I’m up a few times, I still feel fresh in the morning so I don’t let it bother me.
    +1

Being awakened in the night by animals is somehow less fatigue-inducing than being awakened by my kids at home.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Also foxes. If you think a tortured demon has spawned in the woods near you, fear not. It's probably just a fox.

(I've come close to some embarrassing, involuntary physical reactions to foxes making their horrible noises nearby.)

As to the frogs, does anyone else find the sound of frogs to be soothing? I love how their sound seems to be centered in the midrange of the audio spectrum where it's not harsh even when it's loud. Not unlike the sound of a really nice theater sound system. Is that just me?
    Yep, I linked to some audio of a fox scream a few posts above, and it is indeed blood-curdling the first time you hear it. I heard them again night before last when I did a quick solo trip.

Other noisemakers are owls — when they get cranked up they can go on intermittently for hours.

I find the pitter-patter of light rain soothing as long as I know all gear is stowed properly. Few things are worse than having to leap out of the hammock to cover up something because it was left out in the open since there was "no chance of rain" in the forecast.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    As to the frogs, does anyone else find the sound of frogs to be soothing?
    I was trying to sleep in the fall last year and I kept hearing this shuffle-shuffle noise near my hammock. I looked out with my light but there wasn't anything there. Eventually it started to freak me out so I got out of the hammock and starred into the dark. I could point to exactly where the noise was coming from but there wasn't anything there (invisible monsters was my first thought). I kept looking and staring and moved closer to the site of the sound and it was finally revealed to be a small frog jumping and the noise of the leaves was making the rustling noise.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I think I'll take the nighttime noises if I can convince the wifey to let me go solo....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Dogs! View Post
    and hiked a trail and found a spot to hang my hammock by headlamp (not very smart, I know).
    Not a problem at all. Even with a basic headlamp you'll have plenty of light. No different from daytime IMO. Just be sure to have a backup flashlight just in case (even a small cheap one if nothing else)

I used to plan most of my trips for a 9-10PM arrival just so I could do some night hiking. It's great waking up and seeing a totally new view, and see how good you did at choosing a spot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast