Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Jarbidge Kicks A$$. My go to quilt...great price point & no worries if it gets wet
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    Jarbidge Kicks A$$. My go to quilt...great price point & no worries if it gets wet
    It is a good un!

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Jarbidge vs HG Econ Phoenix 20?

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    I think I’d go Jarbidge at this point, but after doing some other forum reading, I’m a little concerned about the 3/4 length and my being 6’1”. Had another member say they were 6’ and it only went to his knees.

I may just need to use the CDT Gemini set I’m making my son a few times to see if the extra 12” makes a significant difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jdy98p; 02-23-2018 at 00:15.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I think I’d go Jarbidge at this point, but after doing some other forum reading, I’m a little concerned about the 3/4 length and my being 6’1”. Had another member say they were 6’ and it only went to his knees.

I may just need to use the CDT Gemini set I’m making my son a few times to see if the extra 12” makes a significant difference.

Arrowhead equipment has a 3 & 4 season footpad made to work with the Jarbidge 3/4 length . Covers / insulated back of knees to heels. I use it all the time
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Can't go wrong with either. I own and use TQs and UQs from both companies.

Down cost more but compress much smaller than Clamashield.

I use my Arrowhead TQs and UQs when car camping and the down when backpacking.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ TQ & UQ.
    Images
    I am also a newbie hammock camper. As a newbie, I'll admit I know nothing about the HG Econ. But, I bought the Jarbidge as my first UQ and I love it. It's easy to use and extremely warm. I prefer synthetic insulation as it is less maintenance. I won't ever have to worry about the humidity, etc. I love my jarbidge so much I'm planning to get a AHE TQ in the next week or two.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    The design for the jarbridge was boughten right here in the USA with American dollars I presume too. I have hammock gear set for 20°. I don’t have the Econ or the jarbridge, I’m not sure why they are similar in price as the Econ seems full of features whereas the jarbridge looks like simple and featureless. Maybe it’s an awesome quilt I don’t know I’d go with the Econ personally. Arrowhead has a killer inventory of cool stuff. It I’m not into their quilts. If they were half as much I might buy one/some but not even close to drawing my attention with the other offerings available.

Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Personally I would get a Jarbidge if I were going to be backpacking for several days in wall-to-wall rain. I've hiked in these conditions as a ground dweller and was very happy I chose to carry an EE quilt with Apex insulation because a down quilt would have been an absolute disaster. The shelter was an MLD Duomid and I was pelted for hours and hours with condensation mist as raindrops hit the pyramid.

That said, at 20 oz (for the 3-season) the Jarbidge is pretty heavy by UL backpacking standards. My EE Revelation APEX 40deg reg/reg with 10D shell/liner weighs 17.7 oz so I'm guessing that perhaps AHE employs 20D for the Jarbidge shells. For me 10D is plenty durable but I'm sure there are reasons some folks prefer 20D.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Personally I would get a Jarbidge if I were going to be backpacking for several days in wall-to-wall rain. I've hiked in these conditions as a ground dweller and was very happy I chose to carry an EE quilt with Apex insulation because a down quilt would have been an absolute disaster. The shelter was an MLD Duomid and I was pelted for hours and hours with condensation mist as raindrops hit the pyramid.

That said, at 20 oz (for the 3-season) the Jarbidge is pretty heavy by UL backpacking standards. My EE Revelation APEX 40deg reg/reg with 10D shell/liner weighs 17.7 oz so I'm guessing that perhaps AHE employs 20D for the Jarbidge shells. For me 10D is plenty durable but I'm sure there are reasons some folks prefer 20D.
    I think you make some good points! But, is the Jarbidge really all that heavy for the UL crowd? I don't know what denier the shells are, but still, compared to the EE UQ you mention, it is rated at 25F rather than 40, and many have taken it below 25 with good results. So that lower temp rating ought to be a few oz right there. Unless the EE is WAY conservatively rated and using the same weight CS of 6 oz/sq.yd? Also, I don't know but that EE might also be longer and/or wider, further confusing an apples to apples comparison.

And what about compared to down? This has always been a tough comparison to make, due to the uncommon length of the JB. But using a shorter but wider Phoenix Econ 20 for comparison, it comes in at 19.15 oz. Not much weight savings there, but it is rated 5f warmer. (the 30F is 17 oz, saves you about 3 oz but JB is rated 5F warmer). The average of the 2, which should be what you get if they had a 25F rating, is 18 oz. So a 2 oz saving. I don't see much difference in those warmth/weight ratings. But, as always, there will certainly be a difference in pack volume each uses up.

Then again, amazingly, there is also not much of a price dif between JB and HG Phoenix! I would say that the- in my experience- JB has superior damp weather performance. However, the Phoenix has treated down, and I bet that is now much more competitive with CS is that regard, though I have never put it to the test.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-27-2018 at 21:07.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    BillyBob58,

And I concur with the arguments you make, and admittedly I am really comparing apples to kumquats... a short UQ vs a full-length TQ, and 6.0 vs 4.0 Apex — with different temperature ratings to boot.

So after a little back-of-the-napkin arithmetic, I guess 20oz ain't so bad, especially if it really is warm down to 25°F.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast