Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
BillyBob58,

And I concur with the arguments you make, and admittedly I am really comparing apples to kumquats... a short UQ vs a full-length TQ, and 6.0 vs 4.0 Apex — with different temperature ratings to boot.

So after a little back-of-the-napkin arithmetic, I guess 20oz ain't so bad, especially if it really is warm down to 25°F.
Right, I think probably not so bad. And IF it is that warm. Unfortunately, I have never really put mine to the test at 25F. However, I have read reports from more than one user taking it well below 25F, so I suspect that 25F is easily attained. While I have not tested the JB near it's rating(I have been VERY warm above it's rating), I have(as has my son) put the older version of CS(XP and Combat) to the test in the original WB Yeti. Now, this has removable layers of CS, as well as a differential cut. Not all of these CS quilts have that dif cut, and I am unsure how much that helps the rating, especially with CS rather than down(not quite as easy to compress the loft as down is). However, using only 2.5 oz/sq.yd under me in this quilt, I was very warm in the mid to high 40s in just a cotton T shirt. So that is at least 25F worth of protection( 75F -50=25), which if doubled to 5 oz/sq/yd would theoretically give me 50F protection, or 75-50= 25F. Now maybe I couldn't do quite that well(but maybe I could!). Still, the JB has 6oz rather than 5 oz, so should be no problem hitting 25F for 20 oz. It sure was warm today, but then it was not a cold day. As for that Yeti with only 2.5 oz of insulation, total torso quilt weight about 10 oz, I can not imagine any down UQ being any warmer for the weight. IOW, could we even match that result(high 40s warm) with a torso down UQ that only had 2.5 oz of down (plus baffle weight) underneath? A 40F HG goose down might be a little bit warmer(and slightly larger), but it has 4 oz of down(Econ40 has 4.4).

This stuff has come a long way, though still takes up more room. But then again, down is possibly better than ever what with treated down.

So I feel somewhat sure that- at least at temps above 20F(seems to be more difference the colder you go), CS Apex has very closely matched an 800 down plus baffles in warmth to weight. But maybe I'm completely whacked out, because I don't know of anyone else making such a claim, so take with a large grain of salt!