Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Thoughts on the Brother SE400 combination sewing/embroidery machine?

Well, I had been considering buying a new sewing machine after seeing the benefit of having a needle down feature, as well as throttle control, and was looking at a Brother Project Runway model for under $200 on Amazon. Problem is, I really couldn't justify buying a new machine just for those features, considering my old basic machine works perfectly fine even without those features. I've managed to make a nice underquilt, hammock, blankets and several stuff sacks without having a needle down feature, so I really don't NEED to spend money for that. Of course, during my research, I found the aforementioned machine, and thought, hey, wouldn't it be cool to be able to so small embroidery projects for my girls, wife, or even myself? So, that's how I justified buying that machine, lol. Well, actually, I bought the more expensive Project Runway model, LB6800PRW, which is identical to the SE400, but comes with a nice rolling case.

Anyway, as the title asks, does anyone here have experience with this machine?
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I don't have experience with a Brother, but wife has a fancy ($$$$$) Janome and I must say it's very nice to have all the fancy features at fingertips. You will like it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Well, I haven't even received my new machine yet, and I've already upgraded, lol. I went to my local Wal-Mart on the way home from work this morning, and what did I see sitting on the shelf? The newer upgraded model to the SE400, the SE625. It has a color touch screen display, more stitches, more embroidery designs, and even includes a disc with even more designs. Plus, it accepts a standard USB key to install even more designs you can download from the internet. And the best part? It was less than what I paid for the Project Runway version. Only negative is it doesn't come with the nice roller case the PR version came with.

So I got home, and set it up so I could see how well it sews. OMG!! I cannot get over how amazing this machine is! Especially compared to the old Singer 2662 I have been using. It has push button sewing if you don't want to use the pedal. It has throttle control, needle down when you stop, and it will automatically place 3 perfect lock stitches at the beginning and end. And did I mention, it'll even cut the threads at the push of a button?!? And it doubles as an embroidery machine! I'm glad I learned on a basic machine, because this thing almost takes all the skill out of sewing.
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Oh crap - I knew I shouldn't have read this thread - No I'm jonesing to get off my singer 301! Sounds like a great purchase! Enjoy!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    KM that's not very friendly. Instead of using my perfectly serviceable hand-me-down machine that is just fine, I have to think about how nice it would be to have the cool stuff you have on your new machine.

So as I read the nice description of the machine from Brother website, it will automatically do embroidery designs?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    KM that's not very friendly. Instead of using my perfectly serviceable hand-me-down machine that is just fine, I have to think about how nice it would be to have the cool stuff you have on your new machine.

So as I read the nice description of the machine from Brother website, it will automatically do embroidery designs?
    It will embroider any design you can find and download as long as it's 4" x 4" or smaller. There is apparently software that will allow you to piece larger patterns together with the aid of a repositionable hoop. It tells you exactly what colors of thread to use, and when to change each color out. I can't get over how many features this thing has, and for only $359 at Wal-Mart. For comparison, the SE600, which is the same machine, but with a slightly different design on the body, and doesn't even come with the added disc with 200 embroidery designs, sells for $490 on Amazon. I have no idea why it's so much more, because it comes with less stuff. The original model I asked about, the SE400 sells for $293 on Amazon, and it's like 4 years old and doesn't have USB stick support or a color display. This thing, in my opinion, is a steal at $359

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    If you're really wanting to be tempted, just take a look at this playlist highlighting the many features this thing has...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XEX0Yg17r9OYMc

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. 1.6oz. HyperD
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli Pro
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    Well, I haven't even received my new machine yet, and I've already upgraded, lol. I went to my local Wal-Mart on the way home from work this morning, and what did I see sitting on the shelf? The newer upgraded model to the SE400, the SE625. It has a color touch screen display, more stitches, more embroidery designs, and even includes a disc with even more designs. Plus, it accepts a standard USB key to install even more designs you can download from the internet. And the best part? It was less than what I paid for the Project Runway version. Only negative is it doesn't come with the nice roller case the PR version came with.

So I got home, and set it up so I could see how well it sews. OMG!! I cannot get over how amazing this machine is! Especially compared to the old Singer 2662 I have been using. It has push button sewing if you don't want to use the pedal. It has throttle control, needle down when you stop, and it will automatically place 3 perfect lock stitches at the beginning and end. And did I mention, it'll even cut the threads at the push of a button?!? And it doubles as an embroidery machine! I'm glad I learned on a basic machine, because this thing almost takes all the skill out of sewing.
    Dude, now I am drooling, how much did you pay for your upgrade?
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ecologito View Post
    Dude, now I am drooling, how much did you pay for your upgrade?
    $359 at Wal-Mart. That being said, if you can't see any use for the embroidery feature, you can get an excellent sewing machine with the same features or more than this machine has for less than $200. For me, the ability to do some embroidering is what finally helped me justify upgrading in the first place. Hard to justify paying for a fancier version of what you already have, just to get a couple useful features.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm sending the one I ordered from Amazon back. It came in this afternoon. Not even gonna open the box.
    Last edited by Kayak_Medic; 02-20-2018 at 21:55.

So Kayak_Medic - how's that machine working for you? I'm thinking of getting one soon. Hoping for a sale!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast