HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Open sky
    Insulation
    Reflectex
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings

UQ for starting out

So I've been hanging for about two years now and so far have only used pads (Thermarest & reflectex). I'm out west in the Desert but often find myself taking a trip to colder climates. I've taken my current setup down to 7ºf and had my double bubble, thermarest under me along with a 20º mummy inside my 30º top quilt. I was warm and surprised with only a little condensation but the setup was a pain and really is at the limit of what my current gear is capable of. I'm looking to go the UQ route now for simplicity and was wondering your opinion on what a good temp rating would be to start out at? I figure I can vent it when it's warm and slip a pad under when it's colder. I am looking at a HG Incuabtor 0 for the depth of temperature however fear that when it's in the 50s that it'll be to warm.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome. Down the road I'd look at a pod for extreme temps but where is the temp line for "my first UQ"?

Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can always vent a UQ......
    A 20º UQ is very versatile.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Most people on here recommend to give yourself a 10F buffer. So if the expected lows in the 10-20 range, then a 0-10 range UQ is recommended

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    It's always a balancing act between MAX utility and temp range vs weight/size and your real frequent-use temps
    You'll be happy with any of our vendors offerings, econ or full....
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Whatever you get, pay attention to Shug's video about adjusting the quilt to prevent drafts.

I have a 0° Incubator and it definitely needs to be strung up higher and tighter at its low temperature limit than I would ever have assumed. At very low temperatures shock cords lose some of their elasticity and the extra slack can permit drafts. And I also find that quilt hooks on the hammock help, both on my DW Chameleon and DH Darien.

Coldest I've used the Incubator this winter was 4°F and it was completely warm for me, although it did require some testing and tweaking to achieve this.

EDIT: But to answer the specific question, which quilt to start?, I'd say get something for the upcoming season and conditions, then get another one later as necessary. No one quilt is going to be appropriate for all seasons and you'll likely end up needing at least 2 and preferably 3 quilts to 'cover all the bases' if you hike/camp year 'round. Personally, I have the 0deg Incubator, an EE Revolt 20deg shortie (55") and a 40deg Revolt shortie. Especially for a backpacker, there's no sense carrying around the weight and bulk of a 0deg quilt when an 11oz 40deg quilt is all that's needed.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-19-2018 at 07:18.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    First UQ?? No question, get an AHE Jarbidge. Right around $100, adjusted correctly it'll get you below 20°. I haven't checked process, but the HG Econ series could be just a good a value? You might be able to get a 0° or 20° and a 40° or 50° Econ Phoenix without breaking the budget. With any combination of those options you'll get way below zero.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I love my jarbridge for summer fall trips
    I also live my hg 20* set

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    I would not want to use my 0* underquilt all year round, even with all of Shug’s tricks. I’m waiting on a 40* underquilt/topquilt set from UGQ and when I have the money would love to have a 20* underquilt. I think having a 0*, 20* and 40* underquilt is common if you can afford it, and a lot of folks start with 20*. I think Cmoulder makes sense. Look at the season and conditions your going into and buy for that. I doubt you will find 1 quilt that will meet all your needs, especially when it’s 60* out and all you have is a 0*, that does not sound fun to me.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I have an Econ set of quilts from hammock gear and they are a great value. Maybe you would want to check out the Wilderness Logics Budget series quilts as well.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    My first UQ was a Snugpak and for the price it's great. I've done a few vids on budget insulation options on my YouTube channel if your interested : https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdlR64khg0auvnVhQ3zRTNQ .
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast