Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 30deg + 2oz overstuff quilt set vs. 20deg quilt set

Hey all,

I just ordered a new incubator and burrow from Hammockgear, and I am super excited. Problem is, I am second guessing my decision. Italicized below is the email that I wrote to the folks at Hammockgear to get their opinion. I would like to hear this forums thoughts as well. Appreciate the help!

I recently ordered a 30deg quilt set with 2oz of overstuff (long wide burrow and a long incubator). After thinking about it, I should have contacted you prior to the order.

I was originally torn between a 20deg and 30 deg quilt set, so I decided to split the difference with what would seem to behave like a 25deg quilt set (hence the overstuff).

The price of the option I chose was equivalent to that of the 20deg option, which is fine. I just want to make sure that I am choosing the best option for me.

What do you see as the pros/cons of choosing a 30deg set with overstuff vs. a 20deg set?

1) Male.
    2) Relatively warm sleeper.
    3) Three season backpacker (northeastern US) who is trying to stay lightweight.
    4) I am planning to DIY a summer quilt set in the next few months.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    For 3 season use, I see no problems with what you've ordered. A 20 might be a touch more "versatile", but with the majority of the temps you will see a 30 +2 is going to serve you well. FWIW, if you decide to push to 20-25 degrees, add an UQ protector and you'll be fine! Happy hanging!

Thanks Peppy. Actually, I already own an underquilt protector. It's a Dutchware summer sock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Just a newb speculating here, but:
    In an ideal situation where the down is dry and clean and has room to loft and is fluffed and uniformly distributed, I think the 20° is probably going to outperform the 30°+2oz, but I feel like these conditions are not typical, so the resilience of the overstuff might be a more practical and foolproof configuration, albeit a little less “warm”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So many variables come into play. I'd always recommend playing it safer by getting a quilt set that is rated 10 degrees warmer than your anticipated low temp. Since you're in the North East, it's likely that you'll see temps in the 20s fairly often. I think you should buy your quilts with that type of temperature in mind.

Seeing that you will be making a summer quilt set, I think you would get more versatility out of a 20 degree quilt set. Think about the coldest temps you would ever go camping in. If you would go camping with a low of 25, a 20 degree quilt would be the safer choice (especially if you use your dutch summer bug net upside down). I think it's always good to have a 5-10 degree temperature buffer. In addition, having that 20 degree quilt set could potentially allow you to get safely into the teens with the upside down dutch sock or winter cover.

Here's my personal experience with buying quilts. I live in south Louisiana. It might freeze once or twice a year. I figured that I'd probably be ok with a 40 degree quilt with 2 oz. of overstuff. Well, it just so happened that this past December, I went on an overnight where the temps got down to 29. I didn't get the greatest night of sleep in my 40 degree +2 underquilt When I got home, I sold my 40 degree underquilt. I went ahead and ordered a 30 degree quilt with some overstuff for winter, and a 3/4 length summer quilt for the rest of the year.

I was thinking that I could probably get one quilt that would be good for 4 seasons use in my area, but what I got was a jack of all trades and master of none. Just remember this : If you get too warm, you can always vent your top and underquilts. If you get to cold...well ... you're just gonna be cold and miserable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Isn't a 30* UQ plus 2 oz. overstuff rated to 20 degrees? I always heard each ounce of overstuff is worth 5 degrees. So it sounds like six of one; half dozen of the other.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Isn't a 30* UQ plus 2 oz. overstuff rated to 20 degrees? I always heard each ounce of overstuff is worth 5 degrees. So it sounds like six of one; half dozen of the other.
    Warmth is based on baffle height, so an overstuff may be somewhat warmer since the down won’t move around and potentially produce cold spots. That being said, if you buy from a quality supplier like Hammock Gear, I see overstuff as a waste of money and needless extra weight, since their standard fill is sufficient to obtain the desired loft with no cold spots.

Quote Originally Posted by GDPH001 View Post
    Hey all,

I just ordered a new incubator and burrow from Hammockgear, and I am super excited. Problem is, I am second guessing my decision. Italicized below is the email that I wrote to the folks at Hammockgear to get their opinion. I would like to hear this forums thoughts as well. Appreciate the help!

I recently ordered a 30deg quilt set with 2oz of overstuff (long wide burrow and a long incubator). After thinking about it, I should have contacted you prior to the order.

I was originally torn between a 20deg and 30 deg quilt set, so I decided to split the difference with what would seem to behave like a 25deg quilt set (hence the overstuff).

The price of the option I chose was equivalent to that of the 20deg option, which is fine. I just want to make sure that I am choosing the best option for me.

What do you see as the pros/cons of choosing a 30deg set with overstuff vs. a 20deg set?

1) Male.
    2) Relatively warm sleeper.
    3) Three season backpacker (northeastern US) who is trying to stay lightweight.
    4) I am planning to DIY a summer quilt set in the next few months.
    If you want a 25 degree quilt, I would call Harry at HG and ask him to make the baffles 2.25 inches high otherwise, your getting a 30 degree quilt. He’ll probably do it free of charge since you bought the 2 oz overstuff.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    That being said, if you buy from a quality supplier like Hammock Gear, I see overstuff as a waste of money and needless extra weight, since their standard fill is sufficient to obtain the desired loft with no cold spots.
    This is comforting. I've been back and forth on this for a long time.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 #5273
    Tarp
    HG Cuben+doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps
    I had a 30deg set in the past and changed to 20deg quilts. Even as a warm sleeper, when the temperature got to 30deg, I would need to wear thicker base layers, really cinch down the quilt and not move too much to avoid drafts.

I chose to have a small weight penalty in favor of comfort. Having the 20deg quilts also saved me from purchasing an underquilt protector. The protector weighs more than the difference between the 20 and 30 underquilt.

I bought the 20deg quilts at a higher fill power than my 30deg had in order to be able to compress them more in my pack.

I'm happy with my decision. I realized I place more importance in a quality and easy sleep than saving weight. I wish it wasn't the case as I enjoy being lightweight but after a long day hiking it wasn't worth it for me.

Warmth is based on baffle height
    That also motivated my decision to go from 30 to 20deg instead of overstuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast