Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U

Inevitable wet UQ??

Hi All,
    I have been looking at some posts and I always hear air out your UQ (down) because it will probably be damp. It also sounds like you need to do something extra if you want to sleep in cold weather for an extended period of time.
    I may be misunderstanding what I read but for instance if i want to take my hammock, UQ, sleeping bag (used for TQ), rainfly and setup shop in the woods for let's say 2 weeks or longer what would I need to do special compared to the 2 night camps?
    I'm talking hypothetical and would say my gear is warm enough with a down UQ and synthetic sleeping bag.
    I get the impression if your not careful a several day camp in cold weather (figure 20*F to - 10*F) will end up with wet down UQ that will leave you cold.
    I don't plan on spending weeks or months outside in it but just wondering if I was ever forced to like a natural disasters (if no one messed with my gear) if I could without being cold.
    Is there a way to long term camp without a wet down bag? If I started a fire in that temp could I dry my down by hanging it near a fire? Would I need a UQ protector?

When I began sleeping every night in my hammock I set up outdoors on a stand. I hung my under quilt under my hammock and it stayed there for 183 nights. No damage, no loss of performance. Fear is your only enemy. Keep it from the rain and enjoy!!
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I use an UQ protector and highly recommend them. They are useful to keep splashing rain off an UQ, as well as protecting you from strong winds which can rob the heat from your UQ. But they are not necessary. When I'm packing up I usually hang my quilts over my ridgeline for half an hour or so as I pack everything up and have never had my down too damp. The materials in a good quilt are breathable and will usually dry quickly. You typically get more moisture from your body as you would the air around you. I think you would have to be careless or extremely unlucky to ever wet down enough to compromise its ability to insulate. We do a lot of 10-30 degree trips and have had nothing but great experiences!

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Wow 183 nights! OK good them a few month's won't hurt lol. Thanks

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I use an UQ protector and highly recommend them. They are useful to keep splashing rain off an UQ, as well as protecting you from strong winds which can rob the heat from your UQ. But they are not necessary. When I'm packing up I usually hang my quilts over my ridgeline for half an hour or so as I pack everything up and have never had my down too damp. The materials in a good quilt are breathable and will usually dry quickly. You typically get more moisture from your body as you would the air around you. I think you would have to be careless or extremely unlucky to ever wet down enough to compromise its ability to insulate. We do a lot of 10-30 degree trips and have had nothing but great experiences!
    OK great! I was thinking of making or if it's cheap buying a cover for my UQ. Good to hear you also say it's not a big deal if you use logic and keep it from rain. I was thinking what a bummer to buy or make one only to have to baby it or use it for only a few days. Good point with ridge line to hang it over.
    I was worried about body moister. It sounds like as long as you don't wear lots of clothing it less of an issue right? I'm glad it's not as finicky as I first was worried about. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Cold doesn't always equal wet. It depends on the humidity level and the dew point but without getting technical the most common reason quilt get wet and stay we is we sleep in them on a backpacking trip and then have to get up the next day to hike. This is when most quits do not get the chance to dry out. So getting to camp and hanging them simply lets that bit of moisture dry and it also lets the quilt breath.

Images
    I have simply never had a problem with this, and my quilts are not the fancy water resistant kind.

The only way your quilt is going to get wet is if you let it get rained on.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Cold doesn't always equal wet. It depends on the humidity level and the dew point but without getting technical the most common reason quilt get wet and stay we is we sleep in them on a backpacking trip and then have to get up the next day to hike. This is when most quits do not get the chance to dry out. So getting to camp and hanging them simply lets that bit of moisture dry and it also lets the quilt breath.
    So that is probably who I read that from. The people who do that. Good because I was more thinking like a camp spot for a few days then maybe move not constant. Being in WI we have the humidity but it all depends on the day. Being near the great lakes doesn't help much with that. Lol. Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Never had my UQs get damp from condensation in all my years of hammock camping. Even in fog and clouds it may have felt dampish on the outside by my DWR fabric always kept the down dry and my body heat would also dry it all through the night. I think since the heat rises from the body your UQ is pretty safe.
    My UQ playlist.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I would add: Wet top quilts are an issue, ironically. This is from your own breath combined with dew. I frequently get a wet blob of condensation around the chest area of the top quilt. For that, the DWR / dry-down is worth it. Underquilts dont seem to care, however.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast