Tarp
    HG Dyneema 12'
    Insulation
    loco libre ghost p
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch

new to site

Hi,
    I'm thinking on going with a hammock for the first 100 mi. of the CT this year.Due to a few back surgeries I need to stay very light. I am using a Zpacks Duplex currently and keep my base weight at less than 12 lbs. depending on the walk.
    I'm looking into a DIY tarp and UQ . I have no hammock experience currently. That's it I guess

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas. You can find several wonderful lightweight options from our Cottage Vendors here on the forums. I recommend them, if you desire to sell the gear later if it doesn't work for you, you can sell it here easy enough. Check out a local hang if you can get to one, it will be very beneficial when it comes to finding out what gear you like. Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You'd better get started if you are going to DIY an under quilt as these can be a lot of work especially the first one. Good luck in your journey and welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG econ30
    Suspension
    WS/strap/Cinch bug
    Welcome from AZ!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee. You've come to the right place.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    If you are not interested in going the DIY route just yet I have a 10* Loco Libre quilt set for sale. Used one time.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    If you are not interested in going the DIY route just yet I have a 10* Loco Libre quilt set for sale. Used one time.
    How much are you asking?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If your primary concern is weight it will be hard to beat the Duplex. When push came to shove, I simply couldn't put together a hammock system that would beat using a Duplex weight and room wise, especially since I also wanted hospitable accommodations for my border collie too. I took the Duplex for sectioning part of the AT a couple of years ago. The Duplex is also better for alpine conditions.

However, hammocking offers other benefits over the Duplex to consider. If you like to hang, they are more comfortable, may be drier, and in some locations, especially heavily wooded, rocky, or snowy areas, can be easier to locate a hang versus a tent site.

For a test run purposes I would agree with the above post on if you purchase from a reputable cottage vendor, and it isn't your cup of tea, a quality vendor hammock typically is easy to resell here on HF for a minimal loss. If you purchase a inexpensive hammock you may not have a good hanging experience and most likely will not recoup your costs. You might also consider purchasing a quality cottage vendor hammock off the HF For Sale forum too. Also, some of the vendors have special sale events or blemished hammocks for at a discount. I have picked up a couple for reasonable prices at both places.

Since you mention back injuries, you will need to consider what design hammock works best. Also considering how you sleep, back, stomach, side, or a combination. The three basic designs are gathered end (GE), bridge, and ninety degree (90*). GEs are by far the most popular, bridge hammocks lay flatter but weigh more, and 90* lay flattest and are the best side sleepers but are expensive, have height and weight limitations, and typically are pad obligates. This forum and youtube are wonderful resources for helping make your decisions.

I currently hang full time and like to vary hammocks between a 90* Ergo, GE Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, and Dream Hammock Raven/Sparrow. I sold the bridge hammock as not my style. I've tried and own several hammocks and each has good features and limitations. My preferred backpacking hammocks are a 90* Hammocktent Gamma UL or Beta, based on comfort and weight.

For a tarp, you can get by with an expensive one until you have decided if hammock camping is where you want to pour your money into ;-). Something that will keep you dry will suffice. I consider sleeping bags to work great and are more versatile than a top quilt (TQ) and you probable already own one. If you become fully committed you might want a TQ, I never have been that convinced and would rather spend money on another hammock than a TQ.

Although I enjoy hammocking, I have no intention of selling my Duplex as it superbly fills a backpacking niche too. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    How much are you asking?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'd like $500 for both...that's a $100 saving. But make me an offer. I have them listed on the For Sale page if you want specs and pcitures

Hammock
    DIY/WB eldorado
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 12'
    Insulation
    loco libre ghost p
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. I am building a hammock and tarp with materials from RBTR.
    The hammock material will be 1,0 oz Hyper D and tarp Membrane silpolyPU4000. Also noseeum netting. Hardware from Dutchware. A friend has made hammocks before and is my guiding light on this. I'll let you know how it all comes together when its done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast