WBRR / Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE / HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

WBRR 2 layer with pad - moisture issues

I am working out my set up and really like the lay of the hammock with a pad inserted between the layers. The pad is a Klymit V Luxe and I notice a slight bit of perspiration on my back, just enough to decrease comfort by feeling cool on my backside. I do not have any such issue when the pad is not installed. AHE TQ and UQ only, I notice just enough shoulder squeeze that I do not sleep soundly, but have no perspiration issues. I am hanging in my basement at 58F, wearing cotton sleepwear or just skivvies.

Any insight from your experience is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Your experience is exactly what I experience when I attempt to use any kind of a pad. This is also one of the main reasons I decided to change to a Warbonnet Ridge Runner to eliminate the need for a pad to get rid of should squeeze and get a flatter lay without the need for a pad. Have you tried not using the pad and going with a top and under quilt?

Interesting thread topic.
    I am currently trying various pad/uq combinations in the RR.
    First, obviously, they work best with an UQ. I am testing without, indoors, to find a better setup.

I only think of the pad because I like the lay in the RR better with a pad.
    Disclaimer, I am not comfortable in any GE I have had so far.

I have only had condensation issues, so far, when I used the Evasote 1/8" and the 1/4" pads.

As for the thicker pads, the original Neo-Air is the one I have used. (2 1/2 inch) I also have Exped Downmat 7 and a Neo-Air Trekker, but have not tried them yet.
    These have a tendency, when inflated more, to lift me up a bit high. Comfortable and warm. I had no condensation and I was in the warm cabin with a wood stove in the same room.
    When inflated down, they do not lift me up so high. But, they seem to act like squeezing a balloon. They push up away from me and I feel the cold because the pad was squeezed to zero thickness where I was on it. I did not have this problem when it was inflated more. If I adjusted to the center, and laid on my back it was not flattened where I layed.
    I also find these Neo-Air to be a bit on the narrow side for this application in the RR.

A little thinner is the HUGE Thermarest Base Camp. I used this in the snow camp night. I had it inflated lightly. It did not raise me up very high. It curved slightly with the RR shape. Comfortable and wide enough to support my shoulders, BUT .... Heavy, too heavy to carry very far. If only it weighed less.

And the regular, old orange Thermarest. Same as above. Less wide. Still too heavy, for me, to carry far.

I have a Pro-Lite (3?) I can try next. Thinner than the Neo-Air, but I am sure heavier.
    I also have an un-insulated Exped air mattress. This air mattress is also very thick and I expect the same height problem as the Neo-Air.

Finally, about the HG Incubator and the RR. After reading the instructions and watching Shug's video,I have adjusted this UQ to work great with this hammock. I have not had a need to upgrade to a RR specific UQ, yet. For warmth I can use only an UQ. For comfort i would like to find the right pad.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Regarding the shoulder squeeze without the pad. (Pads Suck) Have you tried varying the head end spreader bar length? I found I liked the RR a lot better without the 4" extension. But I also use my trekking poles for spreader bars so I can vary the length a little until it feels just right. (Pads Suck)
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

I would not call it shoulder squeeze, at least not as I know it as a newb hammocker.
    I just mean that it is more comfortable. Is good without a pad, just better with the pad.

That said. No, I have only used the bars that came with it. It is the latest version.
    I do not see that I could make the bar longer. i will have to search here for that. Thank you.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Perhaps a lightweight sheet might help?

Still waiting for my underquilt (week 11 of the 12 week wait,) but I've been using a Klymit insulated V Luxe pad and I find that it certainly does not suck. It has been keeping me warm and comfortable down into the low teens.

In my Ridge Runner, it does seem to help with the shoulder squeeze. I'm hoping the new 0° Ridge Reaper can replace it with no loss of comfort. (Lighter and easier to pack than the pad.) But for sleeping, I have had no complaints with the pad.

As far as moisture, for a number of weeks I was using a 0° sleeping bag which probably mitigated any slight perspiration. After my Burro arrived, I've been using a thin sheet, mainly because I prefer it to the feel of the hammock fabric. Again, no moisture. Of course, I haven't been camping in temps much higher than 40°

Wayne

Hammock
    WBRR / Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE / HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Your experience is exactly what I experience when I attempt to use any kind of a pad. This is also one of the main reasons I decided to change to a Warbonnet Ridge Runner to eliminate the need for a pad to get rid of should squeeze and get a flatter lay without the need for a pad. Have you tried not using the pad and going with a top and under quilt?
    Yes, AHE TQ & UQ, no moisture issues, just enough shoulder squeeze to wake me up several times in the night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe try wrapping some fleece or the likes on the top of that pad before insertion. Worth a shot.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR / Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE / HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Regarding the shoulder squeeze without the pad. (Pads Suck) Have you tried varying the head end spreader bar length? I found I liked the RR a lot better without the 4" extension. But I also use my trekking poles for spreader bars so I can vary the length a little until it feels just right. (Pads Suck)
    Thanks Paul, I will give the spreader bar length adjustment a try.

Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    ......... I do not see that I could make the bar longer. i will have to search here for that. Thank you.
    I got a PM. The length adjustment is .. To make the head pole shorter by 4" by removing the middle section.
    I have the newer RR so I cannot remove the 4" section, it has a longer middle section now.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast