Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Thanks for all the help guys. I went with the dutch half zip but it was a tough decision. The weights were about identical but I liked that I could get a dyneema stuff sack from dutch and his ridgeline organizer was a bit cheaper. I'm sure either would have been great hammocks and now I'm looking forward to testing out my new set up.

I've been using the almost stock claytor set up since 2007 with a ccf pad and will be retiring that set up and am now on to a HG set of quilts, cuben fiber tarp, and the dutch hammock. I will say that the claytor is a great way to get started for $150. 10+ years of use and it is still going strong and I've ridden out some nasty storms with the diamond stock tarp as well.

As always you guys are a great help and a wealth of knowledge. Can't say enough good things about this forum and am proud to contribute to it every now and again.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on the new hammock. Be sure to report back on how well you like it.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    This guy nailed it!! I have the Darien and it's my lightest/best hammock. What I don't like about the half wit is what can "drop" down into bed with you! Doesn't protect enough from crawlies like ticks, spiders, etc. I would recommend the Darien with zippers on both sides; allows you to put your hand out on each side to adjust under quilts.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    For lightest weight with complete integrated bug protection, there are three good cottage vendor options that come to mind immediately for me...

1) Dutchware Half-Zipped (and Half-Zipped Wide)

In Hexon 1.6, you should be able to get this hammock down close to one pound. It will be super-comfortable, function effortlessly, seal out the bugs, and give you interior compatability with all the cool Chameleon storage options.

2) Dream Hammock Darien

The Darien -- my favorite DH design -- will probably be your lightest option; it's 100% customizable, and you should be able to get it under a pound if you opt for a lightweight 1.2 oz ROBIC version.

3) Simply Light Designs Trail Lair

Another superbly designed camping hammock with built-in bug protection and excellent craftsmanship, Jared's single-layer Trail Lair in a ROBIC or Hexon fabric will be comfortable, easy to use, and durable with complete insect protection and a dizzying array of options. Judicious choices will keep the weight comparable to the other two hammocks.

(If you're not settled on your lay direction or you like to switch, this may be the best option of the three above.)

HTH...

PS: If you're willing to go a little further afield, look at Little Shop of Hammocks up in Canada, specifically the Warrior Edge hammock; James is really nice and does beautiful work with lots of options!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I would recommend the Darien with zippers on both sides; allows you to put your hand out on each side to adjust under quilts.
    Technically, a Darien has zippers on only one side of the hammock; that's what makes it a Darien. For a Dream Hammock with zippers on both sides and a retractable but permanently attached net (like the SLD Trail Lair), one should look at the DangerBird.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/DangerBird.html

"The DangerBird has a #3 non-separating zipper on both sides, available with net and overcover. Net and overcover can be zipped off and stored in their peak bags at the ends of the hammock. They are permantley attached and can't be completely removed and left at home."

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12