Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape

Video: Sierra Madre Research Stratos Modular Hammock System

This modular system has 6 pieces to it, the fly (or tarp), the hammock, the bugnet and gear stash, the winter barrier, the bunk hammock, and the suspension. It's modular, meaning you can take the pieces you want, and leave the pieces you don't. If you aren't a fan of the SMR hammocks, you can use your own with this system. I think that with a few tweaks this could be a great system, but for me there are a few concerns. Check out the video to see what I'm talking about.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the thorough review Mark.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Nice review Mark,

I spent some time fondling this setup at MAHHA..

For someone who wants an all-in-one matched set, it's a great option. Some folks prefer to mix and match and I think once you start piece meal'ng this setup it takes a step backwards.

I like the integrated gear loft which can also be a ground cloth or landing for when you want to change, or it can also be a great pet bed.

The bunk system works well.. If I had a youngster it would be a good option.

Like you, I am a left lay... so it was a dead deal from the start.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Can you flip the fly/tarp upside down so that you can lay head right feet left and have the cover that it was designed to give head left feet right when it's the right way up?

Also it seems to me the sleeves that cover the suspension is a lot of material, compared to the usual setup of a tarp with doors. I wonder how much weight it adds. It seems interesting, though, perhaps it gives a better seal for storming weather.

I think using some elastic shock cord or similar on the tie down where you want the entrance to be could make getting in and out nicer where you don't have to crouch as much.

Good review, showing the pros and cons. I quite like the large bugnet and the modularity of the system.

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    Can you flip the fly/tarp upside down so that you can lay head right feet left and have the cover that it was designed to give head left feet right when it's the right way up?.
    Almost. The ridgeline tie outs are on top of the tarp instead of in the edge like other tarps. If you were to flip it over, the tieouts would be inside. You could try running the ridgeline rope from the inside and out the storm sleeves (after pulling them inside out), but it won't be pretty.

Furthermore, the bugnet zipper would be on the outside, so there would be no way to connect your bugnet to the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Roundtrip Raven that explains it. I guess if you just wanted to use the tarp and didn’t want to use the bugnet, then maybe it would work but with the tie outs it sounds like it would still be pretty balls.

Actually, watching again I don’t see the bugnet being zippered into the tarp. Are you thinking of the Nube?

Also watching https://youtu.be/-MGEwwW0SJs they mention “interior sky hooks”, I wonder if they could be used to suspend there tarp when it’s upside down.

I’m still curious about the storm sleeves. How much extra weight and bulk they add vs if they provide extra protection, and if it’s worth it. I’m pretty new so it’s hard for me to judge when I’m being ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    Thanks Roundtrip Raven that explains it. I guess if you just wanted to use the tarp and didn’t want to use the bugnet, then maybe it would work but with the tie outs it sounds like it would still be pretty balls.

Actually, watching again I don’t see the bugnet being zippered into the tarp. Are you thinking of the Nube?

Also watching https://youtu.be/-MGEwwW0SJs they mention “interior sky hooks”, I wonder if they could be used to suspend there tarp when it’s upside down.

I’m still curious about the storm sleeves. How much extra weight and bulk they add vs if they provide extra protection, and if it’s worth it. I’m pretty new so it’s hard for me to judge when I’m being ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So with this system you can't flip the tarp upside down. The ridgeline attachment is on the outside and because the "doors" on the ends are sewn panels and can't open, that would put them inside and they'd be inaccessible. As for the bugnet, it attaches via d-rings and connectors, and those would also be on the outside, making that impossible as well. The storm sleeves seem like they would be very effective and I doubt they add a ton of weight.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the explanation Spiguyer. Good to hear the storm sleeves work well and don't add much weight. I take it you can't pull the storm sleeves inside-out when the tarp is flipped? And you can't use the internal "sky hooks"[1] (I think this is the same D-rings and connectors normally used for the bugnet you mentioned) to suspend the tarp?

[1] https://youtu.be/-MGEwwW0SJs?t=3m50s

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    440ED2D2-5459-4188-A5F7-8B17E58A606E.jpg

I have this system, I love the tarp but haven’t used the bugnet much. It has a lot of convenient features, and it is a little on the heavier side, but not enough to be a deal breaker for me. I lay both right and left, (mostly right) so that’s not a problem for me either. When I lay left, i still get totally sufficient coverage, although I could see getting a little spritz if it was a super windy rainstorm. I like the tarp a lot, and I think others would too. They should really release a “stratos light” version, with less Do-dads. The only thing that consistently bugs me a little is having to duck to get in, I’ve considered modding it to have doors on one side, but I’ll prob never get around to it. I almost never use my wilderness logic tadpole or Hennessy wide hex anymore except occasionally as a sun shade, or for a high porch mode when spreader-bar side by side hanging with my wife. I highly recommend the stratos, but it’s definitely not for everyone. One thing I’d say in regards to that video, I’d recommend not rotating the carabiner before feeding the closure sleeve into the gate, it gets a tighter seal for me when the fixed side of the gate is towards the tarp and the open side of the gate is towards the tree.
    Last edited by Beckerbrain; 03-03-2018 at 16:21.

• + New Posts