Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    I am currently on the "which -fly to get journey". I do like the looks of the minifly, but I don't believe there is an option for panel pulls on the mini. This has me leaning toward the thunderfly.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianWood View Post
    So, time to put some more life (hopefully) into this thread.
    I have a relatively heavy tarp today, 970 grams all lines included. I bought it at a time I didn't even consider hammocking. It has good side coverage being 3x2,9 meters. But heavier and more voluminous than I like.

So I am looking for a lightweight tarp that doesn't take too much volume in my backpack, but still has the coverage to keep my backpack and camera gear dry.

The Warbonnet Thunderfly and Minifly looks like really nice tarps. End coverage and all. The Thunderfly "locally" available to purchase is 130 grams heavier than the Minifly, so I would be eager to get a Minifly if it has ample coverage. What I mainly am considered with is the side coverage keeping a backpack and camera gear dry if it starts to pour down, and keeping dry while making a meal. I understand of course that the Thunderfly have better coverage, but I am especially interested to know from those who bought the Minifly...would you buy it again or do you miss out the larger coverage that Thunderfly have? And do you think the Minifly will keep the backpack dry during a real downpour with some sidewind?
    I went with the Thunderfly because it had a bit more side coverage which translates into a wider dry footprint under the tarp. Here in Florida, we can get some crazy late afternoon or overnight thunderstorms with gusty winds causing some sideways rain. Plus, during the torrential 10 minute downpour...you're gonna get a lot of splashback as water pools around outside the tarp coverage. And with the wind gusting, it will blow the runoff under the tarp coverage. If there's gonna be a thunderstorm, I will hang the tarp low.

Your best bet is to have a water proof pack or pack cover and put your camera gear in it. You also mentioned in another thread you carry your hammock and quilts in a dry bag...you could also put the camera gear in the dry bag during the storm.

The Thunderfly also packs down pretty small. I use snakeskins and keep it balled up outside my pack in the mesh pocket. However, in the included stuff sack it will compress to about half the size. It'll definitely be smaller than your current tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL
    Tarp
    Bergans 6019 M
    Insulation
    WB Wookie XL 0F
    Suspension
    Webbing w buckles
    Images
    Thanks Shug, Monty33 and FLTurtle, for your answers! Ive seen some of your videos Shug, keep it up! They are very educating and inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I went with the Thunderfly because it had a bit more side coverage which translates into a wider dry footprint under the tarp.
    I do think this is the decision point. I have also seen some videos now on the tarps, and well, I think I will probably need the wider coverage. Especially if I set the tarp high to have some space to move about.
    Your best bet is to have a water proof pack or pack cover and put your camera gear in it. You also mentioned in another thread you carry your hammock and quilts in a dry bag...you could also put the camera gear in the dry bag during the storm.
    I do have a cover for my backpack, and the pack itself is pretty water-resistant as well. And as you are saying the dry bag could be a solution if the weather gets really nasty. Said that, I will check the weather reports before going out to avoid extreme weather. Some rain is fine.
    The Thunderfly also packs down pretty small. I use snakeskins and keep it balled up outside my pack in the mesh pocket. However, in the included stuff sack it will compress to about half the size. It'll definitely be smaller than your current tarp.
    My current tarp is a giant volume wise and even if it is fine to use, the volume and weight are the points that leads me towards other tarps. I think the Warbonnet Tarps meets kind of a sweet spot of price, weight and usability. And I will definitively not pay more for the super lightweight ones. I am not a gram chaser in that way...just trying to make my burden a little less, but not going to the extremes. If I buy from the US I will be able to select 20d and save some weight on the Thunderfly (it all adds up...so Im trying to keep it down if I can). I'll probably get import taxes etc. Which fabric do you recommend 20d Silpoly or 30d Silnylon?

BTW, appreciate the pictures!
    Last edited by NorwegianWood; 04-05-2022 at 12:43.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    20d silpoly for my Warbonnet tarps. The silpoly is less durable, but it doesn't retain as much water as silnylon. I don't treat it rough, but I don't baby it either...haven't had any issues. DCF is lighter, but its bulky in the mesh skins. Other users have showed their packing techniques for DCF tarps and they get pretty small compared to DCF in a snakeskin.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Bergans 6019 M
    Insulation
    WB Wookie XL 0F
    Suspension
    Webbing w buckles
    Images
    20d silpoly for my Warbonnet tarps. The silpoly is less durable, but it doesn't retain as much water as silnylon. I don't treat it rough, but I don't baby it either...haven't had any issues. DCF is lighter, but its bulky in the mesh skins. Other users have showed their packing techniques for DCF tarps and they get pretty small compared to DCF in a snakeskin.
    Thanks for very quick answers. It will probably be 20d then. I too don't babysit my gear, but I am not intentionally rough with it.

Actually I got a small tear on the bottom of my UQP when I stupidly and blindly and UNINTENTIONALLY missed the hammock when I tried to sit down in it the other day. I think I sat down on the edge of the Wookie and fell straight down on the UQP. Mother Earth was waiting for me there ... she can be hard some times.

Luckily nothing else than a few cm of UQP teared, thanks to the biners, they worked as intended and gave before anything else teared. One micro-biner broke straight off and the other one was deformed. But they probably saved my day as nothing else teared. I will be ordering new micro-biners and a couple of tear aid patches from Warbonnet when I order the tarp.
    IMG_5210.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The tear-aid patches or “on-a-roll” stick very well. But you will have a choice if your vendor offers different colors. Do you try to match the UQP color as best possible, or do you find a strong contrasting color that might inspire a story (The “why the patch?” reason seems to change over time … “Really? Sharks in the forest!”), or a fond memory.

In the past, all my tarps have been Silnylon because reliability was a priority. However, on my last adventure, car camping at Honeyman Park in Florence, it POURED. And I was managing three SilNylon tarps (two for hammocks, one for a picnic table).They were definitely heavier when I had to toss them back in the car. I could imagine it wouldn’t be much fun carrying the extra weight (until and opportunity to hang them out to dry) on the trail.

So my next tarp/s will be SilPoly. I’m careful with all my gear - most of it is decades old. And there is that Tear-Aid. I’m a little hesitant to give up the security blanket of “ripstop” and I think you can find some tarps that are SilPoly AND ripstop.

The ThunderFly is a great size. I also have a MiniFly for day hikes (sun shade), or overnighter, and it does, absolutely, keep me dry in the rain. I just don’t have as much of a dry footprint for gear and messing around outside the hammock.

I’d start with the ThunderFly as the most versatile. If you like its “half-door” design, and want to lighten things for shorter excursions, you could add the MiniFly later. If you have a real heavy rainy season and want to go out in it, you can consider the MountainFly.

All three will keep you dry - that’s not an issue. it’s how much dry space you want to have outside the hammock that influences the choice.

But then you have the WB SuperFly, and the SLD WinterHaven, and the HG Winter Palace, and the DutchWare Xenon Winter tarp, and the ….

Now for your gear, usually, if I have a backpack (more often kayak camping), I use a carabiner to hang it at the end of my hammock. That way, it's well under any tarp. If I had something that really needed protection, it would have its own drybag. Once closed, the drybag could go anywhere - as long as you REMEMBER TO TAKE IT WITH YOU when you break camp.

I’ve … been told … that some kayaking novice hammock camper paddled off, leaving $$ worth of hammock rigging still on the trees because he was interrupted while in the process of taking stuff down. It happens.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-05-2022 at 14:08.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Bergans 6019 M
    Insulation
    WB Wookie XL 0F
    Suspension
    Webbing w buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The tear-aid patches or “on-a-roll” stick very well. But you will have a choice if your vendor offers different colors. Do you try to match the UQP color as best possible, or do you find a strong contrasting color that might inspire a story (The “why the patch?” reason seems to change over time … “Really? Sharks in the forest!”), or a fond memory.
    hehe...it will probably be a bear story... ;-)
    In the past, all my tarps have been Silnylon because reliability was a priority. And the tarp was a “just in case” item. I don’t usually go kayaking when there is a predicted rain storm. But on my last adventure to Honeyman Park in Florence, (car camping so who cares about the weather) it POURED. And I was managing three SilNylon tarps (two for hammocks, one for a picnic table). And they were definitely heavier when I had to put them back in the car. I could imagine it wouldn’t be much fun carrying the extra weight (until and opportunity to hang them out to dry) on the trail.

So my next tarp/s will be SilPoly. I’m careful with all my gear - most of it is decades old. And there is that Tear-Aid. I’m a little hesitant to give up the security blanket of “ripstop” and I think you can find some tarps that are SilPoly AND ripstop.
    Good info. I do like the form of the Thunderfly with doors. And I will go for the lighter 20d Silpoly, also to avoid carry water along.
    The ThunderFly is a great size. I also have a MiniFly for day hikes (sun shade), or overnighter, and it does, absolutely, keep me dry in the rain. I just don’t have as much of a dry footprint for gear and messing around outside the hammock.

It’s probably expensive to get things to Sweden so I’d start with the ThunderFly as the most versatile. If you like its “half-door” design, and want to lighten things for shorter excursions, you could add the MiniFly later. If you have a real heavy rainy season and want to go out in it, you can consider the MountainFly.

All three will keep you dry - that’s not an issue. it’s how much dry space you want to have outside the hammock that influences the choice.
    I think I will appreciate the slightly larger dry footprint. And as I stated earlier I will be able to pitch it higher and still have good coverage.
    But then you have the WB SuperFly, and the SLD WinterHaven, and the HG Winter Palace, and the DutchWare Xenon Winter tarp, and the ….
    All those choices...I don't see me having additional tarps. One will have to do (except my old one). I think the Thunderfly will be doing good enough even in wintertime. Should I ever need more protection then I will bring my Hilleberg tent instead. Also I think I will just keep it simple with 4+2 tieouts and no panel pulls.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah - those panel pulls … Here’s the deal, if you get them, you do have to seam seal them (sealer is provided) - the ridgeline is fine. But, they do add a degree of versatility. You said you like the larger footprint so imagine an upside down “V” like ^. Now image if you could grab those slanted sides in the middle and pull them out a bit. I really opens up the inside.

I use mine with the external pole mod all the time. In one stormy situation, I was glad to be able to attach the pullouts to an available tree and bushes (but these days I try to orient parallel with the wind. And yes, wind direction changes.). It’s one of those things that you have if you need them and they hardly cost anything in weight or bulk if you don't. But again, you do have to seam seal them. I get it that there is less to fuss with without them. But imagine that upside down V with the side pulled out a little. More interior space.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Bergans 6019 M
    Insulation
    WB Wookie XL 0F
    Suspension
    Webbing w buckles
    Images
    Yeah - those panel pulls … Here’s the deal, if you get them, you do have to seam seal them (sealer is provided) - the ridgeline is fine. But, they do add a degree of versatility. You said you like the larger footprint so imagine an upside down “V” like ^. Now image if you could grab those slanted sides in the middle and pull them out a bit. I really opens up the inside.

I use mine with the external pole mod all the time. In one stormy situation, I was glad to be able to attach the pullouts to an available tree and bushes (but these days I try to orient parallel with the wind. And yes, wind direction changes.). It’s one of those things that you have if you need them and they hardly cost anything in weight or bulk id you don't. But again, you do have to seam seal them. I get it that there is less to fuss with without them. But imagine that upside down V with the side pulled out a little. More interior space.
    I see your point. It would give more space inside for making meals etc, or just having slightly less crammed space when sitting out a down pour. Still...I love simplicity. A few less things to think about. No additional stakes or lines. Perhaps not much to gain regarding weight, and I wouldn't need to use them either, but still...simplicity.

I appreciate your thought. I will sleep on it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'll use the panel pulls if I'm broadside to the wind to help keep the tarp from blowing in on me. Otherwise, if I want more room I'll use trekking poles, sticks, or tying off the corners for porch mode.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast