Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations for back-country camping/hanging in CO??

For anybody that is familiar with the beautiful state of CO and all it has to offer, I am hoping for a few good suggestions!

A couple friends and myself are wanting to come up to CO (around June) for a back-country expedition, ideally looking for some kind of backpacking loop so we can leave our car in one place and not have to worry about a shuttle/taxi, but any suggestions would work. We are looking for something that is a 3-4 night stay, with great trails and even better scenery, that gets us outside the normal family campgrounds and back into the wilderness. I know each area is a little different on their requirements, permits required, free camping allowed or must be in a designated campsite, bear can regulations, etc. and any info regarding all this is much appreciated. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    --LC

Images
    For the non campground experience with little pre planning I consider up and backs on the Colorado Trail. If you want snow consider Segment 6 over the continental divide.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    For the non campground experience with little pre planning I consider up and backs on the Colorado Trail. If you want snow consider Segment 6 over the continental divide.
    Awesome! Thank you very much for the info.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    I'll be passing through Colorado in September and currently planning a one night hike and camp, so this thread is good timing.

Look into Maroon Bells loops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Look into Maroon Bells loops

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out for sure!

The Bells loop is fun with a very classic Rockie Mtn vibe but you'll likely hit snow early in June. East Maroon Portal is a nice walk and there is a great place to camp over at Copper Lake, on the south side of the pass. Much less crowded than the more popular West Portal. There are a ton of nice hikes in this area though (my backyard) For a short up and back if you're worried about altitude effects, the hike up to Thomas Lakes on Mount Sopris is pretty easy. There are camping sites all around the lakes area. Snow will be hit or miss this year but we commonly hike Sopris and ski the upper bowls Memorial Day weekend. Also any section along the Colorado Trail are a good option depending on snow conditions.

You also might look at the Durango to Silverton train to the Chicago basin. I have not done it but it looks like an awesome trip into the wilderness. The San Juan Mts are beautiful.

I lived in Durango for 13 years and can testify to the beauty of the San Juan mountains to the north and the desert Southwest to the sw.
    When you choose Colorado be careful with route planning. There are long stretches of trail above tree line so plan your hammocking accordingly or bring a ground cloth and therma rest just in case. Don’t bag any peaks later than 1:00 if you don’t want to be chased off by lightning. Chicago Basin is fantastic but be prepared for plenty of company in summer. If you want to take the D&RG railroad, better book soon. Finally CHECK THE SNOW PACK BEFOREHAND.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I've heard some good things about the Lost Creek Wilderness. It's over 2.5 hrs from Denver, so dont know how far you're willing to drive, but here was a good write up I found:

https://thetrek.co/lost-creek-wilder...o-backpacking/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast