WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First Trip to Lineville Gorge

Hey everyone! I met some fine folks online in the hammocking community that are more experienced than I am and are dragging me out to Lineville Gorge for my first time there....has been on my list of "I really want to do"'s for the past year.

Anyway, I have a few concerns about the itinerary as it is however...I am deciding if I am gonna go with the group or not...I have a few reservations.

I am btw age 34, whopping 155 lbs...im in pretty good shape now, but not athletic shape...although I am now doing kayak training twice a week in prep for my first attempt at a race (I have a "surf ski", but that's beside the point)...and I plan on between now and the trip (weekend of 4/20) to do perhaps 4 workouts per week to prepare physically.

The itinerary as I understand it is to leave by 10am on a Friday from wolfpit and go due north and reach the top of "chimneys" the first day....then due north second day (236 to 233, to 231 on nat geo maps I have on my gaia app)....that includes what im told is a swim river crossing depending on water levels (I assume if heavy rain, that wont be safe)...anway, on that west side, it seems that trail follows the river...I read it is pretty rugged and trail markings are not all that clear, so a slow pace likely....I think the goal is to make it to where you will make the ascent back out..."leadmine" trail?

As I understand in looking at the route, more or less...it consists of a steep hike to start with, then up to what will be a second big ascent to chimneys....day two will be up and then cross the river...then down, that will be in total for day 2 maybe 8 miles...camp...then it looks to be a pretty narly 1200 feet hike out on sunday....which I have a drive home of 6 hours back to bama.

This group, I am not personally familiar with and I am still a pretty new backpacker, and am pretty conservative.

I plan to tonight head over to Linville gorge dot net as it seems that is a more definitive source of information.

I have GPS on my phone (gaia, but it seems most LG folks use avenza which I can get)..I also carry an delorme InReach explorer (makes my wife happy on kayak trips and backpacking etc).

I feel I can be in good shape and ready..and its good to know a couple others in this group have done this...so I just am being a bit conservative in this post...
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Sounds like you plan to do the ITAG (is that all ya got) loop. It is beatutiful and rugged. The gorge gives miles reluctantly. Plan on moving more slowly than normal. You will not forget that leadmine ascent! The gorge rats at Lineville will hook you up with the avenza download which I consider mandatory. You will probably still lose the trail at some point, but that’s part of the Lineville adventure.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Maybe that is the name of the loop - it looks to be about 22 miles.

I’m pretty psyched! Wish I had one more day though to soak it in - it will be all business just finishing I suspect - but it will be awesome

Sent my request to get on the linveille gorge dot net site and need to get avinza up and running as it sounds like the maps there will be more accurate - the nat geo ones on Gaia look to be far less useful from what I am reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Yes. You want the gorge rats super detailed GPS enabled PDF map. It has all of the trails, goat paths, water sources/points of interest that aren’t on any other map.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You'll be doing a lot of walking and not much time for lollygagging!
    The Gorge is rugged and rough. Take heed. She can be giving or cruel.
    Enjoy it.
    My Linville Gorge playlist.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m-lIoauJ4p6uNt
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You'll be doing a lot of walking and not much time for lollygagging!
    The Gorge is rugged and rough. Take heed. She can be giving or cruel.
    Enjoy it.
    My Linville Gorge playlist.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m-lIoauJ4p6uNt
    Shug
    Thanks Shug - I’ve wondered if I would lobby for a modification to allow some elements of lollygagery for sure...now that I’ve looked at it more - it is Shortoff to Spence ridge - then all way down to lead mine and up and out.

I did read a trip report on LG dot net (I’m registered now) where some trail runners did it in a day....I will however have approximately 22-25 lbs on me lol

This is a just flat out hiking all day itinerary - barely any time to stop and smell the pork brains 🧠

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I did spence ridge across the river lgt leadmine to shortoff and then back to spence (overnight) in july and not in my best shape. It was a butt kicker, but doable. You will be sore.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    I did spence ridge across the river lgt leadmine to shortoff and then back to spence (overnight) in july and not in my best shape. It was a butt kicker, but doable. You will be sore.
    Thanks! Encouraging! I’m looking on lg dot net site now to figure out and find this pdf with GPS

I found Avenza map of the gorge that has been worked on by gorge rats - but not sure if that is inferior compared to the pdf map you alluded to

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Since you have Gaia, pull up the area and turn on the "Public Trips" overlay. Looks like there are a lot of tracks laid down by others. And some cool photos!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I lost my enthusiasm for your upcoming adventure at "swim crossing".I would be doing good to get myself across a river swimming.
    Can't imagine getting gear across without it being drenched and pulling me to the bottom or being forfeited in the process.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast