Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
I've used regular tarps from walmart or the hardware store many times in various ways while camping, no shame.
Indeed. It doesn't matter how ghetto your setup is as long as you get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
I did notice though that it was really hard on the grommets to stretch it out and get it nice and tight when I strung it up for my tarp. I was wondering about this idea in particular because we are wanting to try out some overnight backpacking this year and need something a little more lightweight that takes up less room as well as being able to re-enforce all of the tie-outs on it.
I use these hooks for the ridgeline. So far it hasn't been a problem with the guylines, but they'll work there as well. I put a couple of layers of brown packing tape down the centerline to keep the internal ridgeline from abrading it. A patch on each side will also do wonders for any small rips you might get. I used mine extensively from summer and into the late fall last year without any issue, though I'll probably have to replace it sometime this year.