Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Yes, repurposed portable canopy cover fabric panels do work quite well.

I retrieved a 11'x11' portable canopy cover from being discarded at work, sewed on tie out tabs on the usually needed places, and it works just fine. A little puckered here and there because of the "drop down" panels around the 4 sides, but not objectionable by any means. And SO light weight for it's size. Sorry, I will have to get the weight later, and I don't have a picture of it in use. The 'metalic' coating would be a big plus, used in summer, or when allowed to fully surround to the ground in the winter. In fact, that fabric is the same as some of those 'springy' folding windshield covers, which I also made a under quilt out of, and there again, the 'metalic' coating really does reflect heat.
    (Did I mention how light weight it is?)
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post

I retrieved a 11'x11' portable canopy cover from being discarded at work, sewed on tie out tabs on the usually needed places, and it works just fine. A little puckered here and there because of the "drop down" panels around the 4 sides, but not objectionable by any means. And SO light weight for it's size. Sorry, I will have to get the weight later, and I don't have a picture of it in use. The 'metalic' coating would be a big plus, used in summer, or when allowed to fully surround to the ground in the winter. In fact, that fabric is the same as some of those 'springy' folding windshield covers, which I also made a under quilt out of, and there again, the 'metalic' coating really does reflect heat.
    This sounds interesting. For the mental image I have I can't imagine a light weight canopy top Pics?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    What are you going to use it for? Hammock cover? I think it will work great just a little heavy, but you're not hiking with it so who cares.

I believe that you can afford anything you want. If you can come up with $15. Put it in an envelope. The next $15 you can squeeze together put that in there too. A Dollar, a Fiver, add that too. You'd be surprised how quick it builds up. In a couple months you'll have what you need, and there will be less bugs!!!

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post

I am really interested to see some pictures on this if you can remember to snap some next time you have it out. I was talking specifically about the wall attachments that you can purchase from like walmart or academy/etc. I also bought a huge canopy that came with three of these wall type panels and that's what kind of got the juices flowing, that's not to say that using the top cover of one as a tarp hasn't crossed my mind at some point but I was thinking that the shape would be a little wonky, good to know that it would work if I ever found someone tossing one out!

Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    This sounds interesting. For the mental image I have I can't imagine a light weight canopy top Pics?
    Surprisingly enough, those 10x10 pop up canopies that walmart and the like sell are surprisingly lightweight (probably a good mark of the quality haha.) I kind of wish I'd paid more attention to how small the top cover folded down last time we used ours now! I hope he's able to take some pictures and let us see sometime

Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    What are you going to use it for? Hammock cover? I think it will work great just a little heavy, but you're not hiking with it so who cares.
    I believe that you can afford anything you want. If you can come up with $15. Put it in an envelope. The next $15 you can squeeze together put that in there too. A Dollar, a Fiver, add that too. You'd be surprised how quick it builds up. In a couple months you'll have what you need, and there will be less bugs!!!

Yes as a hammock cover was the idea, and just to clarify I was talking about the attachable side panels and not the top cover, the ones we have for our canopy are VERY light and fold down pretty small. You are right about being able to afford things, and we will still put money back for better gear, it's just that we are wanting to try to get out soon and we won't be able to come up with many hundreds of dollars for good gear in the next couple of months, this was really just a budget idea to get us camping faster while we save up for better stuff, we're all impatient and it will probably take us a couple of years to really get a good collection of things for the whole family that are good quality, and none of us are okay with waiting that long to at least get some car camping in. Hazards of deciding to be a self-employed one income household I suppose, but the ability to take time away from work pretty much whenever is a perk that helps even out the money issues Definitely looking forward to being able to invest in some good stuff though. Under more normal circumstances it'd probably be a bit easier to get money put back, it just happened to work out that I started getting interested in hammocking during a rough work year and when there are some pretty big (also read: expensive) home repair projects and vehicle things that have been piling up. When it rains, it pours I suppose lol. Even this little $20 is something I have to put off on spending for a while. Hate to reply with a load of what feels like excuses, just trying to give a little insight to my train of thought.
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Sorry, I was a little out of line. The thought was fresh in my mind after speaking with my sister. They have an envelope for each bill and each put A $20 in each envelope. At the end of the month any extra goes for food or what not. I've been there believe me.

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Sorry, I was a little out of line. The thought was fresh in my mind after speaking with my sister. They have an envelope for each bill and each put A $20 in each envelope. At the end of the month any extra goes for food or what not. I've been there believe me.
    No worries, you were only being thoughtful and trying to help I've done the same thing to people before lol. Generally speaking that is an excellent way to put money back, I have some envelopes in my dresser for that very purpose for some annual trips we take, it's just time to add a couple more (for gear and hopefully HangCon!). Sometimes it's just difficult to make the allotments for things, and not just with money, time can also be a hard thing to budget. Maybe we will get lucky and there will be some "play" money left out of our tax return and we can get ourselves something nice; I'm thinking underquilts personally, we can always grab some utility tarps and car camp as long as we have insulation.
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Try it (in the back yard). You already own the walls.
    How tall are the walls? I might be hard to get decent coverage with short walls.

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Try it (in the back yard). You already own the walls.
    How tall are the walls? I might be hard to get decent coverage with short walls.
    I have to dig them out and measure, I have more than one so I may string it up just to test the water resistance when our hose thaws out, I could always sew multiple panels together if need be.
    -Amanda

Hammock
    Kammock Wallaby
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt Set
    Suspension
    Dyneema slap strap
    You aren't crazy at all! I had the same idea. I ended up using mine ( we had a 10x10 pop up get shredded in a storm but the side curtains were perfectly fine) for little odd things, bags , drop cloths and such. Do let us know how it goes when you string it up to test the water resistance!

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1027 View Post
    You aren't crazy at all! I had the same idea. I ended up using mine ( we had a 10x10 pop up get shredded in a storm but the side curtains were perfectly fine) for little odd things, bags , drop cloths and such. Do let us know how it goes when you string it up to test the water resistance!
    Certainly will do! I am actually planning to take some video of rain testing so that no one just has to take my word for it lol.
    -Amanda

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast